2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby hammy393 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:47 pm

notorious_mig wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:do y'all know if PI-oriented kids are at a particular disadvantage for this? I think numerically I'm ok and have been getting into good schools and I don't think my interview went horribly awry (but who knows) (actually wait that's another question what would be some indicators of an Interview That Went Horribly Awry)

any insight would be much appreci8ed

thx fam luv u


Disadvantaged? Idk about that. I think it depends on whether or not you explain a potential interest in BL without sounding too PI-focused.


Hmm. I explained that I wanted to intimately understand corporations' interests, as they tie in closely with the area of PI that I want to go into (and the best way to understand corporate interests is to work for a corporate law firm). Is that too PI-ish? I'm concerned now that it is


That sounds really good. You're completely fine

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 pm

hammy393 wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:do y'all know if PI-oriented kids are at a particular disadvantage for this? I think numerically I'm ok and have been getting into good schools and I don't think my interview went horribly awry (but who knows) (actually wait that's another question what would be some indicators of an Interview That Went Horribly Awry)

any insight would be much appreci8ed

thx fam luv u


Disadvantaged? Idk about that. I think it depends on whether or not you explain a potential interest in BL without sounding too PI-focused.


Hmm. I explained that I wanted to intimately understand corporations' interests, as they tie in closely with the area of PI that I want to go into (and the best way to understand corporate interests is to work for a corporate law firm). Is that too PI-ish? I'm concerned now that it is


That sounds really good. You're completely fine


AHHHH youre a saint hammy

https://youtu.be/Sjx-T7_CGQA

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby hammy393 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:when we submit the resume they recently asked for, do we submit it on the application or email it back?

+1


I'm assuming we submit it on the website

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!

User avatar
sfn91

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby sfn91 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:55 pm

azaleafire wrote:Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!


I never got an e-mail about updating my resume. That means I'm good, right?

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 pm

sfn91 wrote:
azaleafire wrote:Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!


I never got an e-mail about updating my resume. That means I'm good, right?


I assume so. After all you can't be expected to adjust something if they didn't tell you to.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 pm

azaleafire wrote:Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!


I've been going back and forth about whether or not I was going to go to a top school (and therefore whether or not I was gonna go to SEO) but now I've been accepted! Lol.

JGuy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby JGuy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:36 pm

JGuy wrote:Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.


I mean, it's more-so focused on people interested in corporate law..... I don't really know if I'd say it's beneficial for you since you're not trying to get a foot in at any firms or anything. Unless you just want to experience corporate life to make sure you're not interested lol

JGuy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby JGuy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 pm

brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.


I mean, it's more-so focused on people interested in corporate law..... I don't really know if I'd say it's beneficial for you since you're not trying to get a foot in at any firms or anything. Unless you just want to experience corporate life to make sure you're not interested lol


Yea, I think that would be the thing for me. That way I don't have any what if's.

I'm guessing that transportation to NY comes out of my pocket? Housing too I suppose. Do people just sublease a place?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 pm

JGuy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.


I mean, it's more-so focused on people interested in corporate law..... I don't really know if I'd say it's beneficial for you since you're not trying to get a foot in at any firms or anything. Unless you just want to experience corporate life to make sure you're not interested lol


Yea, I think that would be the thing for me. That way I don't have any what if's.

I'm guessing that transportation to NY comes out of my pocket? Housing too I suppose. Do people just sublease a place?


I believe places like NYU and CLS might offer summer housing for people who aren't students.

I think that they provide housing for those who AREN'T assigned a firm located in NYC for the week of "school" so to speak, but other than that, no.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.


I mean, it's more-so focused on people interested in corporate law..... I don't really know if I'd say it's beneficial for you since you're not trying to get a foot in at any firms or anything. Unless you just want to experience corporate life to make sure you're not interested lol


Yea, I think that would be the thing for me. That way I don't have any what if's.

I'm guessing that transportation to NY comes out of my pocket? Housing too I suppose. Do people just sublease a place?


I believe places like NYU and CLS might offer summer housing for people who aren't students.

I think that they provide housing for those who AREN'T assigned a firm located in NYC for the week of "school" so to speak, but other than that, no.


Yup - you get paid for that week (to the best of my knowledge), so transportation to NYC and housing (provided you are in NYC for your placement) are out of pocket.

As far as housing goes, subletting would be popular I assume. I have also had friends who get internships in other cities do AirBNB if you want to take that chance.

20171lhopeful

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby 20171lhopeful » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 am

brinicolec wrote:
azaleafire wrote:Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!


I've been going back and forth about whether or not I was going to go to a top school (and therefore whether or not I was gonna go to SEO) but now I've been accepted! Lol.


You were accepted to SEO?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 am

azaleafire wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
JGuy wrote:Is there any benefit for someone interested in clerking/gov work, maybe PI? I'm in at H/S and from reading this thread it seems that's a boost.


I mean, it's more-so focused on people interested in corporate law..... I don't really know if I'd say it's beneficial for you since you're not trying to get a foot in at any firms or anything. Unless you just want to experience corporate life to make sure you're not interested lol


Yea, I think that would be the thing for me. That way I don't have any what if's.

I'm guessing that transportation to NY comes out of my pocket? Housing too I suppose. Do people just sublease a place?


I believe places like NYU and CLS might offer summer housing for people who aren't students.

I think that they provide housing for those who AREN'T assigned a firm located in NYC for the week of "school" so to speak, but other than that, no.


Yup - you get paid for that week (to the best of my knowledge), so transportation to NYC and housing (provided you are in NYC for your placement) are out of pocket.

As far as housing goes, subletting would be popular I assume. I have also had friends who get internships in other cities do AirBNB if you want to take that chance.


I love AirBnB but I'm wondering how much that would cost for like.. a couple months. Lol.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 am

20171lhopeful wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
azaleafire wrote:Just a quick reminder that the new, updated resume they asked for needs to be submitted by today!


I've been going back and forth about whether or not I was going to go to a top school (and therefore whether or not I was gonna go to SEO) but now I've been accepted! Lol.


You were accepted to SEO?


Sorry, wasn't clear because I was too lit off the acceptance. I was accepted to a top school that I want to attend. NOT to SEO lol

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

brinicolec wrote:I love AirBnB but I'm wondering how much that would cost for like.. a couple months. Lol.


Some places offer discounts for long rentals. Also these were people doing I Banking/Tech internships - aka making bank.

wildquest8200

Bronze
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby wildquest8200 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

i was invited to interview last week, and my resume is definitely not all on one page - I fixed it in advance of my interview but didn't want to submit since they haven't asked for it yet

maybe dumb question but are all their partners available for SEO law internships? is there a page of just seo law partners or are they all found on the general partners page? should i just pick out all the names that sound like firms and do research on them or are there seo law internships in aetna's legal department or something sos pls help

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:02 pm

wildquest8200 wrote:i was invited to interview last week, and my resume is definitely not all on one page - I fixed it in advance of my interview but didn't want to submit since they haven't asked for it yet

maybe dumb question but are all their partners available for SEO law internships? is there a page of just seo law partners or are they all found on the general partners page? should i just pick out all the names that sound like firms and do research on them or are there seo law internships in aetna's legal department or something sos pls help


You might as well submit the one-page resume because my understanding is that firms don't want to look at multi-page resumes so you're going to have to do it.

There are SEO Law partners. http://www.seolaw.org/partners/our-partners/

wildquest8200

Bronze
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby wildquest8200 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm

brinicolec wrote:
wildquest8200 wrote:i was invited to interview last week, and my resume is definitely not all on one page - I fixed it in advance of my interview but didn't want to submit since they haven't asked for it yet

maybe dumb question but are all their partners available for SEO law internships? is there a page of just seo law partners or are they all found on the general partners page? should i just pick out all the names that sound like firms and do research on them or are there seo law internships in aetna's legal department or something sos pls help


You might as well submit the one-page resume because my understanding is that firms don't want to look at multi-page resumes so you're going to have to do it.

There are SEO Law partners. http://www.seolaw.org/partners/our-partners/


thanks

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm a bit confused. I received an e-mail from SEO and it says the deadline is March 15. Yet I see earlier in the thread that there were earlier deadlines for the SEO Fellowship..is it too late to "be competitive" apply?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby brinicolec » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:59 pm

renc56 wrote:I'm a bit confused. I received an e-mail from SEO and it says the deadline is March 15. Yet I see earlier in the thread that there were earlier deadlines for the SEO Fellowship..is it too late to "be competitive" apply?


I think they extended the deadline. I just looked at the website and it says March 15 now.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:23 pm

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:I'm a bit confused. I received an e-mail from SEO and it says the deadline is March 15. Yet I see earlier in the thread that there were earlier deadlines for the SEO Fellowship..is it too late to "be competitive" apply?


I think they extended the deadline. I just looked at the website and it says March 15 now.


I was able to get a hold of them fairly quickly today - which was nice. They confirmed that the deadline was pushed back.

Another question - is it recommended to follow the SEO Law Resume template or is it cool to use our own as long as it's a page? *I realize this is the most nitpicky question but I'm paranoid when I learn about what seem to be amazing opportunities fairly last minute.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 pm

renc56 wrote:
Another question - is it recommended to follow the SEO Law Resume template or is it cool to use our own as long as it's a page? *I realize this is the most nitpicky question but I'm paranoid when I learn about what seem to be amazing opportunities fairly last minute.


Nope - use their template. They are pretty specific.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 pm

azaleafire wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Another question - is it recommended to follow the SEO Law Resume template or is it cool to use our own as long as it's a page? *I realize this is the most nitpicky question but I'm paranoid when I learn about what seem to be amazing opportunities fairly last minute.


Nope - use their template. They are pretty specific.


Ugh. Their template kinda sucks/isn't good for people who have been out of college for awhile.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 pm

renc56 wrote:
Ugh. Their template kinda sucks/isn't good for people who have been out of college for awhile.


Yeah, it definitely requires you to be pretty brief. But considering a lot of the earlier applicants got an email when they re-did the template asking us to resubmit it as one page its worth it to just get it out of the way.



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests