2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brinicolec

Gold

2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:32 am

So, as I prepare for my interview, I've been trying to sift through threads and everything and noticed that last year they had this thread for applicants. I figured since people are starting to get interview invites, I'd go ahead and create the thread for this cycle. I have a feeling there won't be much activity decision-wise until later on based on the threads I've looked at (plus, their decision deadline isn't until late-April); however, I think they may have revamped some of the program, so maybe it'll be on more of a rolling-basis than it was in previous years.

Either way, feel free to check in if you're planning to/already have submitted an app for SEO! We can all freak out about interviews and things of that nature together :lol:

Sites recommended for SEO partners research prior to interview: Basic interview info.
  • Length of interview seems to vary (shorter of times being around 15-20 minutes)
    Not a "stress interview" (unlike previous years) -- some who have interviewed report it being somewhat tense, but that wasn't my experience
    Conducted via Skype (I don't think they do in-person anymore)
    Know their firms
    No case reading
    Time between application submission and interview request is ~ 2 weeks according to most applicants
Basic SEO info (website, some program details, etc.)
  • http://seolaw.org/
    10-week-long fellowship (First two weeks are more educational, take place in NYC; next eight weeks take place at whatever firm you're placed at)
    Majority of placement is in NYC, followed by DC; most other placement is just a couple people
    Housing is NOT provided (except the two weeks in NYC for people who aren't placed in at a NYC firm)
    $$$ = up to $1500/wk
    Placement is highly-dependent on what the firm is asking for (they give list of schools they prefer) HENCE seat deposit is a MUST before they can place you
    For anyone who is trying to negotiate schollies and thus, hasn't submitted a seat deposit by the deadline, LET SEO KNOW
    Resume MUST be ONLY one page!
Important dates to remember
  • Scholarship essay deadline: February 1, 2017
    Application deadline: March 1, 2017
    Interviews: scheduled between January and April, 2017
    Proof of enrollment (aka seat deposit): no later than April 28, 2017
    SEO admissions decisions: April 28, 2017
    Program start date: May 22, 2017
Last edited by brinicolec on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.

lnsl123

Bronze

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants

Post by lnsl123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:53 am

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm

lnsl123 wrote:Checking in. Also is it weird that I'm not freaking out?
Have you started prepping to interview yet? Lol

azaleafire

Bronze

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by azaleafire » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Checking in. I have my interview next week, so any tips people have woukd be helpful!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 pm

For the interview, my main recommendation would be to research firms, because they do ask you to talk about a couple firms that might interest you. The rest of it was actually kind of similar to interviews I've had so far for law schools. Based on past threads, the interviews used to be "stress interviews" but it definitely was not like that at all. It was really conversational and pleasant. Basically, know the firms they partner with that interest you, have answers for the typical "Why" questions you'd expect from an interviewer, and also be prepared with any questions you might have.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mjvance2

New

Post by Mjvance2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Not sure what the rest of you guys are using for firm research but in addition to using each firm's website, I found this site that gives a pretty nice breakdown of firms. Hope it helps!

http://www.chambers-associate.com/home

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:Not sure what the rest of you guys are using for firm research but in addition to using each firm's website, I found this site that gives a pretty nice breakdown of firms. Hope it helps!

http://www.chambers-associate.com/home
I used the NALP directory.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

Completed my interview, and found out this interesting tidbit - apparently >65% of students are not K-JD so I might be alone in skipping a day to graduate :cry:

In other related news, other than the firm question it is a pretty standard interview. I will see y'all in April when we find out I guess.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Are you guys applying to other internships/programs this summer in case SEO doesn't work out? I'm not sure the protocol on that. If I get selected, SEO all the way! But since we won't hear back until late April, I'm not sure if I should also be submitting applications for other opportunities just in case. So many moving pieces. :shock:
I think there's potential to hear back earlier if you deposit earlier. Part of the reason we won't hear back until later is because that's around when seat deposits are due and I'm pretty sure they need to know what school you're attending before placing you in a firm. I mean, I suppose it's not a terrible idea to submit other apps; however, if you'd hear back about those opportunities first, I'm not really sure how you'd handle holding off on committing.

If you want to do that, maybe deposit ASAP (by ASAP, I mean like March lol) and contact SEO and ask them if there's a way to expedite their decision on you because if not, you want to try to take advantage of other summer opportunities.

I'm not really sure how many people interview for SEO then aren't selected, unfortunately, so it's hard to know the odds of you interviewing and NOT getting selected.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:46 pm

azaleafire wrote:Completed my interview, and found out this interesting tidbit - apparently >65% of students are not K-JD so I might be alone in skipping a day to graduate :cry:

In other related news, other than the firm question it is a pretty standard interview. I will see y'all in April when we find out I guess.

Yeah, I got the feeling that a fair amount of students aren't K-JD when I was doing my interview. Also, when in the world do you graduate?????? The program's not until late-May :shock:

And I agree, it was a pretty standard interview. I'm glad too because some of the posts from previous years about the stress interview method made it sound horrific lol

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:21 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:It's kind of overwhelming just how much these firms do! Everything sounds so interesting! :shock:
That's good though. Gives you more to talk about! Lol

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Around when did y'all submit your apps that you've already started hearing back re: interviews?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 pm

crookedsmile wrote:Around when did y'all submit your apps that you've already started hearing back re: interviews?

I submitted it late-Nov. but updated it pretty frequently since then (as I get decisions on listed schools, at least). Got the interview request in early-Jan.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:Around when did y'all submit your apps that you've already started hearing back re: interviews?

I submitted it late-Nov. but updated it pretty frequently since then (as I get decisions on listed schools, at least). Got the interview request in early-Jan.
Thanks! I didn't submit till the new year so I guess I shouldn't freak out too yet.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 pm

brinicolec wrote:Also, when in the world do you graduate?????? The program's not until late-May :shock:
Yeah my graduation is during the first week of the program. Not as bad as MIT who graduates June 6th this year. Also schools like Chicago, Stanford, Carleton etc. who are on a trimester/quarter system also graduate really late. But they graduate so late they probably can't do the program because of exams. My school just has two weeks of unnecessary programming.

Also @above dude, I applied around Thanksgiving and heard back in the New Year. They took their time with applications this year, and the deadline is still a bit off so I wouldn't worry.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 pm

submitted a couple weeks ago and got interview invite around noon today

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:49 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:First half of the interview was ok, second half was really rough; got two questions in a row that were basically the same question asked two different ways, and not exactly what I was expecting so I rambled and gave the world's worst answers. So bad, I honestly had to stop myself from just saying, "Ya know, that's an awful answer. Sorry about that." Also, interviewer didn't seem interested, didn't look into the camera or break a smile the entire interview, and was in a rush to end it. Went into it feeling calm and confident in myself and my achievements, logged out of Skype feeling like a total loser who just blew my shot at an incredible, invaluable opportunity. Shit, man. :cry:
You never know, maybe it didn't go as badly as you thought it did. A lot of people getting into UChi felt like they had awful interviews but got accepted anyway! Either way, I'm sorry you feel like you had a rough time. Just think positively, focus on the rest of the cycle, and be sure to update SEO once you make that seat deposit!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm

azaleafire wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Also, when in the world do you graduate?????? The program's not until late-May :shock:
Yeah my graduation is during the first week of the program. Not as bad as MIT who graduates June 6th this year. Also schools like Chicago, Stanford, Carleton etc. who are on a trimester/quarter system also graduate really late. But they graduate so late they probably can't do the program because of exams. My school just has two weeks of unnecessary programming.

Also @above dude, I applied around Thanksgiving and heard back in the New Year. They took their time with applications this year, and the deadline is still a bit off so I wouldn't worry.
Oh wow, I think that's so crazy to me because I graduated in early-May lol. But, the first week of the program is part of the fellowship portion (where we're just taking classes). Did you indicate in your application that it would be a date that interferes with the SEO dates? It's also something that you can mention in your interview. I know she also asked me when I interviewed if I had any dates that would conflict with the date of SEO. Based on my understanding of everything, it didn't sound like having something that would conflict was a disqualifier, it just sounded like they wanted to know (especially for firm placement purposes).

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Oh wow, I think that's so crazy to me because I graduated in early-May lol. But, the first week of the program is part of the fellowship portion (where we're just taking classes). Did you indicate in your application that it would be a date that interferes with the SEO dates? It's also something that you can mention in your interview. I know she also asked me when I interviewed if I had any dates that would conflict with the date of SEO. Based on my understanding of everything, it didn't sound like having something that would conflict was a disqualifier, it just sounded like they wanted to know (especially for firm placement purposes).
Yup. Slash for anyone applying, my process was this: list graduation as a conflict. When I completed my interview, I mentioned to my interviewer that I had this conflict. Because it is during the institute, and not during firm time (when I would have to coordinate with them), I will be allowed to jet from New York to Boston, walk, then come back the same night. They cannot move the program for you, you cannot delay for other reasons (I can't go to all the cool brunches and panels that my school has that week), and you can't miss more than is necessary.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 am

azaleafire wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Yup. Slash for anyone applying, my process was this: list graduation as a conflict. When I completed my interview, I mentioned to my interviewer that I had this conflict. Because it is during the institute, and not during firm time (when I would have to coordinate with them), I will be allowed to jet from New York to Boston, walk, then come back the same night. They cannot move the program for you, you cannot delay for other reasons (I can't go to all the cool brunches and panels that my school has that week), and you can't miss more than is necessary.
That's fair though, I suppose. Think of it like a job. Can't get out of jobs to go have fun! Lol.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 am

brinicolec wrote:
That's fair though, I suppose. Think of it like a job. Can't get out of jobs to go have fun! Lol.
Oh definitely. And it's definitely worth missing it for, but I had a brief moment of "aw."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”