SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:34 pm

hammy393 wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
Rosa Parks wrote:Does the program cover accommodation or would we have to pay for those ourselves? And do we apply for scholarships and fellowships separately?


The application has detailed instructions on how to apply to the fellowship and the scholarship. The scholarship application requires an extra essay, but otherwise it's the same form (you just need to click a box).

You're responsible for your own housing. You're paid for every week you're either at work or in SEO Law training, so you're responsible for finding and paying for your own housing, just like when you are a summer associate.

The only exception is for students placed at firms outside New York. Their housing is covered for the training weeks. Since it is hard and very expensive to find short-term housing in New York in the summer, we do find shared dormitory housing for those students, and the firms pay for just those two weeks of housing in New York.


How likely are we to get placed in our #1/#2 choice cities? If accepted into SEO, being able to live at home during the program would save so much money and stress.



We try to place everyone in his or her first or second choice. However, it depends on a number of factors. We look at where you legitimately want to practice when you graduate, since the program is a pipeline for our partner firms-- so, if you want to be in Columbus because your grandma lives there and you want to save money on rent, it isn't quite as compelling as someone who wants to be there because their fiance lives there and has an established career there, as an example. A few things also come into play: the size of the market (we have 50+ spots in New York, and only a few in some of our other markets) and your school of choice. You do know in which city you'd be placed before you have to accept or reject the offer, though, so you can decide then if it's worth the stress or not.

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

hammy393 wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
Rosa Parks wrote:Does the program cover accommodation or would we have to pay for those ourselves? And do we apply for scholarships and fellowships separately?


The application has detailed instructions on how to apply to the fellowship and the scholarship. The scholarship application requires an extra essay, but otherwise it's the same form (you just need to click a box).

You're responsible for your own housing. You're paid for every week you're either at work or in SEO Law training, so you're responsible for finding and paying for your own housing, just like when you are a summer associate.

The only exception is for students placed at firms outside New York. Their housing is covered for the training weeks. Since it is hard and very expensive to find short-term housing in New York in the summer, we do find shared dormitory housing for those students, and the firms pay for just those two weeks of housing in New York.


How likely are we to get placed in our #1/#2 choice cities? If accepted into SEO, being able to live at home during the program would save so much money and stress.



We try to place everyone in his or her first or second choice. However, it depends on a number of factors. We look at where you legitimately want to practice when you graduate, since the program is a pipeline for our partner firms-- so, if you want to be in Columbus because your grandma lives there and you want to save money on rent, it isn't quite as compelling as someone who wants to be there because their fiance lives there and has an established career there, as an example. A few things also come into play: the size of the market (we have 50+ spots in New York, and only a few in some of our other markets) and your school of choice. You do know in which city you'd be placed before you have to accept or reject the offer, though, so you can decide then if it's worth the stress or not.

User avatar
hammy393
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby hammy393 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:41 pm

SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
Rosa Parks wrote:Does the program cover accommodation or would we have to pay for those ourselves? And do we apply for scholarships and fellowships separately?


The application has detailed instructions on how to apply to the fellowship and the scholarship. The scholarship application requires an extra essay, but otherwise it's the same form (you just need to click a box).

You're responsible for your own housing. You're paid for every week you're either at work or in SEO Law training, so you're responsible for finding and paying for your own housing, just like when you are a summer associate.

The only exception is for students placed at firms outside New York. Their housing is covered for the training weeks. Since it is hard and very expensive to find short-term housing in New York in the summer, we do find shared dormitory housing for those students, and the firms pay for just those two weeks of housing in New York.


How likely are we to get placed in our #1/#2 choice cities? If accepted into SEO, being able to live at home during the program would save so much money and stress.



We try to place everyone in his or her first or second choice. However, it depends on a number of factors. We look at where you legitimately want to practice when you graduate, since the program is a pipeline for our partner firms-- so, if you want to be in Columbus because your grandma lives there and you want to save money on rent, it isn't quite as compelling as someone who wants to be there because their fiance lives there and has an established career there, as an example. A few things also come into play: the size of the market (we have 50+ spots in New York, and only a few in some of our other markets) and your school of choice. You do know in which city you'd be placed before you have to accept or reject the offer, though, so you can decide then if it's worth the stress or not.


Thanks for the quick response! That all sounds very reasonable.

20171lhopeful
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:04 pm

is the SEO application like law school admissions, where there is an advantage to applying early? Or will we all find out if we are selected at the same time?

ac8876a
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby ac8876a » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Is there a way to opt-out of doing the scholarship essay?

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:14 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:is the SEO application like law school admissions, where there is an advantage to applying early? Or will we all find out if we are selected at the same time?


We make decisions as applications are complete-- Applying earlier is definitely better-- you'll have more leeway in review. Since you basically need just what you need for law school to apply, we suggest applying as soon as your law school applications are done.

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

ac8876a wrote:Is there a way to opt-out of doing the scholarship essay?


Yes you don't have to apply to the scholarship. There is a box on the application that you tick if you are interested in the scholarship. If you don't click that box or write the essay, you won't be considered for the scholarship.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ac8876a
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby ac8876a » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 pm

SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:is the SEO application like law school admissions, where there is an advantage to applying early? Or will we all find out if we are selected at the same time?


We make decisions as applications are complete-- Applying earlier is definitely better-- you'll have more leeway in review. Since you basically need just what you need for law school to apply, we suggest applying as soon as your law school applications are done.


What would be considered early? Is there anyway to check the status of our applications?

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:50 am

mm2368 wrote:I sent an email yesterday but wanted to check here; I wasn't able to apply under the 2016 application; only 2015 was available. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you again for answering questions here! :D


Did you go to seolaw.org and click on apply now? I just tried and it worked for me, would you mind trying again. If it still doesn't work, you can email seolaw@seo-usa.org with your details and we will check on it for you.

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 am

ac8876a wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:is the SEO application like law school admissions, where there is an advantage to applying early? Or will we all find out if we are selected at the same time?


We make decisions as applications are complete-- Applying earlier is definitely better-- you'll have more leeway in review. Since you basically need just what you need for law school to apply, we suggest applying as soon as your law school applications are done.


What would be considered early? Is there anyway to check the status of our applications?


We've started reading applications already and will send out the first interview invitations this month. If you are done applying to law school, there is no reason to wait.

No way to check the status-- we don't have the staff capacity to give updates. If we are reading your application, and need something from you, we do contact you individually to let you know, but we cannot check things for you on request and our system does not have a status update.

Dondraper88
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby Dondraper88 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Is a 3.0 in undergrad required even if you get into a t14?

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Dondraper88 wrote:Is a 3.0 in undergrad required even if you get into a t14?


Most of the time, yes-- it is an organization-wide requirement and usually the admissions committee cannot get the approval to make exceptions. However, if that is your situation you should apply anyway, as it is free, and not super time-consuming since you just use the materials you use for law school anyway.

User avatar
lula43
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby lula43 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi there! I am participating in a program that does not end until May 25th. I am required to be here until that day. Am I ineligible for the program?

User avatar
azaleafire
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby azaleafire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:01 am

lula43 wrote:Hi there! I am participating in a program that does not end until May 25th. I am required to be here until that day. Am I ineligible for the program?


In a similar vein, I graduate that week - something I obviously need to attend. What is the protocol on that front?

ggnobbq
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby ggnobbq » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:08 pm

a couple of questions:

1) Roughly what percentage of students admitted into the program will be attending a t14 school?

2) If LA is my target market, would me choosing UCLA/USC over a t14 1) decrease my chances of getting into the program and 2) assigned to an LA firm?

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:04 am

azaleafire wrote:
lula43 wrote:Hi there! I am participating in a program that does not end until May 25th. I am required to be here until that day. Am I ineligible for the program?


In a similar vein, I graduate that week - something I obviously need to attend. What is the protocol on that front?


We try to work with people individually to accommodate things such as graduations. We've never had anyone have to miss their graduation. For the program, it really depends on what it is, so I would suggest you apply, disclose your specific conflict, and discuss it in the interview. It will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and the parameters will be discussed with you before you accept the offer.

We want everyone to participate in the training because it is very helpful. This year the academic component is up-front, as well. So we cannot excuse people from the entire training, but we do have mechanisms in place to allow everyone to participate in their graduation ceremonies.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1525
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:17 pm

SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
lula43 wrote:Hi there! I am participating in a program that does not end until May 25th. I am required to be here until that day. Am I ineligible for the program?


In a similar vein, I graduate that week - something I obviously need to attend. What is the protocol on that front?


We try to work with people individually to accommodate things such as graduations. We've never had anyone have to miss their graduation. For the program, it really depends on what it is, so I would suggest you apply, disclose your specific conflict, and discuss it in the interview. It will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and the parameters will be discussed with you before you accept the offer.

We want everyone to participate in the training because it is very helpful. This year the academic component is up-front, as well. So we cannot excuse people from the entire training, but we do have mechanisms in place to allow everyone to participate in their graduation ceremonies.


If you attend a school on the quarter system so your exams aren't over until June 14 (graduation June 18) are you eligible to participate?

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:42 pm

LoganCouture wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
lula43 wrote:Hi there! I am participating in a program that does not end until May 25th. I am required to be here until that day. Am I ineligible for the program?


In a similar vein, I graduate that week - something I obviously need to attend. What is the protocol on that front?


We try to work with people individually to accommodate things such as graduations. We've never had anyone have to miss their graduation. For the program, it really depends on what it is, so I would suggest you apply, disclose your specific conflict, and discuss it in the interview. It will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and the parameters will be discussed with you before you accept the offer.

We want everyone to participate in the training because it is very helpful. This year the academic component is up-front, as well. So we cannot excuse people from the entire training, but we do have mechanisms in place to allow everyone to participate in their graduation ceremonies.


If you attend a school on the quarter system so your exams aren't over until June 14 (graduation June 18) are you eligible to participate?


Yes. Our quarter system students typically arrange to take exams early/as take homes, though, and travel back for graduation day.

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 pm

ggnobbq wrote:a couple of questions:

1) Roughly what percentage of students admitted into the program will be attending a t14 school?

2) If LA is my target market, would me choosing UCLA/USC over a t14 1) decrease my chances of getting into the program and 2) assigned to an LA firm?


1) Most of our students go to top schools.

2) No.

ac8876a
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby ac8876a » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

So if we applied in Nov. and we do not get an invite to interview, what does this mean for our application?

Mjvance2
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby Mjvance2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Is there an age cutoff? I know the site mentions undergrads and recent grads as the target demo. I'm 30, so I know I'm a bit older, but am I out of the range?

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby PrezRand » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 pm

How many people get SEO? Additionally, do you get to pick the firm and where you want to work?

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby brinicolec » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 pm

PrezRand wrote:How many people get SEO? Additionally, do you get to pick the firm and where you want to work?


Idk the answer to that first one but I figured I could save the recruiter a little bit of effort and tell you that you get to rank your location preferences when you fill out the app.

SEOLawRecruiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Postby SEOLawRecruiter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:16 pm

ac8876a wrote:So if we applied in Nov. and we do not get an invite to interview, what does this mean for our application?


Nothing. You are under consideration until you actually get a letter saying you have not been accepted.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest