AA Female 3.72/163 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Rosa Parks

New

AA Female 3.72/163

Post by Rosa Parks » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm

I have pretty decent softs
- 2 summer internships at law firms, long term volunteering at an NGO, committee leader for a groups on campus. Went on exchange, got perfect grades that semester.

What are my chances at Top 10? Is it worth it applying to Harvard/Stanford?
Last edited by Rosa Parks on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ood

New

Re: AA Female 3.72/163

Post by ood » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:04 am

Those softs are very run of the mill for T14 applicants. I would say it's worth applying to all t14 if you can throw some more money at apps.

Rosa Parks

New

Post by Rosa Parks » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:07 am

ood wrote:Those softs are very run of the mill for T14 applicants. I would say it's worth applying to all t14 if you can throw some more money at apps.
Thanks! I got a few fee waivers so I guess a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt so much

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Re: fee waivers, you can simply write to the admissions office of any school where your numbers are competitive and ask for a Fee Waiver. I've had a lot of success doing this (6 applications rcvd, 1 not rcvd). However, this may be more competitive for fee waivers at t14 level. Still, worth a shot.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I have similar numbers, and I've already been accepted to NYU (2 weeks after complete) and Duke (via priority track). So if you can afford to, send in multiple T-14 apps.

Rosa Parks

New

Post by Rosa Parks » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:25 am

AJ1010 wrote:I have similar numbers, and I've already been accepted to NYU (2 weeks after complete) and Duke (via priority track). So if you can afford to, send in multiple T-14 apps.
CONGRATS!! How long ago did you send in your app? I just completed mine a few days ago so kinda late

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I sent in my NYU app on October 25th.

christinaxcarrie

New

Post by christinaxcarrie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:18 am

Congrats on NYU!!! I did a Hail Mary ED at Columbia (I literally flipped a coin between Columbia and NYU, I love them both so much) and I'm waiting to hear from them and NYU. The anticipation might just kill me.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:23 am

christinaxcarrie wrote:Congrats on NYU!!! I did a Hail Mary ED at Columbia (I literally flipped a coin between Columbia and NYU, I love them both so much) and I'm waiting to hear from them and NYU. The anticipation might just kill me.
How are u gonna survive the debt?

christinaxcarrie

New

Post by christinaxcarrie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:01 am

PrezRand wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:Congrats on NYU!!! I did a Hail Mary ED at Columbia (I literally flipped a coin between Columbia and NYU, I love them both so much) and I'm waiting to hear from them and NYU. The anticipation might just kill me.
I am one of the few people fortunate enough to come from a family that is able to fund my law school education without requiring me to take out loans.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:29 am

christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
I am one of the few people fortunate enough to come from a family that is able to fund my law school education without requiring me to take out loans.
You come from a wealthy family and are counting on a URM boost of more than 10pts? The admissions system really is ridiculous sometimes

christinaxcarrie

New

Post by christinaxcarrie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 am

Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
You come from a wealthy family and are counting on a URM boost of more than 10pts? The admissions system really is ridiculous sometimes
A piece of advice; if you are hoping to enter the legal field, learn not to jump to conclusions before having enough evidence to back it up. You know nothing about my background, or any adversity or struggles I have faced. I did not come from a "wealthy" family. I grew up comfortably in a middle class family. The reason my father can afford my law school is because he received a decent amount of money from my mother's life insurance policy (she died when I was 7) and a Civil Rights case he won in the late 90's. I'm lucky because he could have easily spent that money on a bigger house, better car, or designer clothing, but instead he invested it into a college fund. Regardless, both of these events had a huge negative impact on our lives, and the money received from these events did not "fix" the pain we faced.

I graduated from a therapeutic high school school (paid for by my school district, not my family) because of the issues I was trying to deal with. I grew up without my mother, and had to witness my father break down constantly because of the gross racism he had been subjected to. I might have lived in an affluent neighborhood, but guess what, I'm still black and I was still reminded of that fact every single day. People made it known that while I might go to their school and live in their community, I will always be less than them. I would have been better off coming from a family with less financial resources, but having grown up in a community that accepted me.

Being a URM isn't about how much money you have or don't have. Being URM is about belonging to a group that is constantly put down and stereotyped. The same as you just stereotyped me as being less deserving because of my family's financial situation. Yes, maybe I have more resources than other people, but growing up in an a middle class white area has its own struggles. I get grief from both sides; one side considering me just a black girl, while the other side considers me "an oreo" or "privileged." I spent my entire life fighting judgment from everyone, which to me is much more ridiculous than how the admission system works.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:29 am

christinaxcarrie wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
A piece of advice; if you are hoping to enter the legal field, learn not to jump to conclusions before having enough evidence to back it up. You know nothing about my background, or any adversity or struggles I have faced. I did not come from a "wealthy" family. I grew up comfortably in a middle class family. The reason my father can afford my law school is because he received a decent amount of money from my mother's life insurance policy (she died when I was 7) and a Civil Rights case he won in the late 90's. I'm lucky because he could have easily spent that money on a bigger house, better car, or designer clothing, but instead he invested it into a college fund. Regardless, both of these events had a huge negative impact on our lives, and the money received from these events did not "fix" the pain we faced.

I graduated from a therapeutic high school school (paid for by my school district, not my family) because of the issues I was trying to deal with. I grew up without my mother, and had to witness my father break down constantly because of the gross racism he had been subjected to. I might have lived in an affluent neighborhood, but guess what, I'm still black and I was still reminded of that fact every single day. People made it known that while I might go to their school and live in their community, I will always be less than them. I would have been better off coming from a family with less financial resources, but having grown up in a community that accepted me.

Being a URM isn't about how much money you have or don't have. Being URM is about belonging to a group that is constantly put down and stereotyped. The same as you just stereotyped me as being less deserving because of my family's financial situation. Yes, maybe I have more resources than other people, but growing up in an a middle class white area has its own struggles. I get grief from both sides; one side considering me just a black girl, while the other side considers me "an oreo" or "privileged." I spent my entire life fighting judgment from everyone, which to me is much more ridiculous than how the admission system works.
Own struggles? You're middle class and have a college fund, study harder.

christinaxcarrie

New

Post by christinaxcarrie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:35 am

Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Own struggles? You're middle class and have a college fund, study harder.
I'm not going to sit here and argue. You seem like a very bitter and childish person. I hope when you get into law school that you mature very quickly.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:27 pm

christinaxcarrie wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Reviving this because I think this is so important. Money won't save you and these degrees won't change who you are perceived to be in America. Nothing can change the fact that you are black. Ridiculous that you had to defend your position as an URM. I am so sorry what you had to go through with your family, and I am sorry that you had to deal with foolishness on this post.

christinaxcarrie

New

Post by christinaxcarrie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Thank you so much for this response!! I don't feel as if I should have to defend my "blackness" or the fact that I have struggled as a minority. While I will admit I am more fortunate than a lot of people, it blows my mind that another minority would try to put me down because they don't think I "qualify".

EinassA wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
christinaxcarrie wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Reviving this because I think this is so important. Money won't save you and these degrees won't change who you are perceived to be in America. Nothing can change the fact that you are black. Ridiculous that you had to defend your position as an URM. I am so sorry what you had to go through with your family, and I am sorry that you had to deal with foolishness on this post.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”