Early Decision Columbia Chances

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
HarvardHopeful95

Early Decision Columbia Chances

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 am

Hi guys, could anyone chance me for Columbia?

I'm asking because I am trying to decide if it is worth applying ED to Columbia or if I should apply ED to NYU.

I am a AA Female and have a 3.55 GPA, and a 167 LSAT

I also just received an unsolicited merit fee waiver from Columbia

In addition to this, I feel as though I have a particularly compelling personal statement (black child of single mother who grew up in an impoverished rural town and created a mentorship program which has gotten students to college who normally would have never even graduated high school)

I will also be producing a diversity statement which i've heard Columbia. is particularly fond of.

grades??

Re: Early Decision Columbia Chances

Postby grades?? » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:34 am

How are you planning on repaying the 300k in loans you will have if you ED either?

HarvardHopeful95

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 am

grades?? wrote:How are you planning on repaying the 300k in loans you will have if you ED either?

Cost is not at all a factor in my law school choice.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 am

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
grades?? wrote:How are you planning on repaying the 300k in loans you will have if you ED either?

I hope your family then is extremely independently wealthy, which it does not sound like from your original post. 300k of loans in no joke. Go look at loan repayment information, then make your decision.

HarvardHopeful95

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 am

grades?? wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:

I hope your family then is extremely independently wealthy, which it does not sound like from your original post. 300k of loans in no joke. Go look at loan repayment information, then make your decision.

Like I said, cost is not a factor. My mother is paying for my law school and we have the money to pay anything. The point of this post is not to be lectured on loans when money isn't a factor anyway, it's to get chanced at Columbia.

beckettbuddy

Postby beckettbuddy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 am

Hey hopeful,

Just checked out mylsn. Their data on URMs with exactly your numbers is a little lacking, but they put your chances at 50/50. I'm not sure anyone on this forum (except maybe a few former adcomms) will be able to tell you more than that with much credibility.

Edit: It depends how you search mylsn actually. If you search it using automatic, it says 80% chance of admission. I think that's just because the sample size is so small. I think that should reinforce the idea that we don't really have enough data to give you a prediction with much certainty.

texcellence

Postby texcellence » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:27 am

if you can pull off well-written essays, you have strong chances at CLS, so don't ED. there really is no reason for any URM to ED at any school except maybe NW, imo.

LegallyBlackJD

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Hi guys, could anyone chance me for Columbia?

I'm asking because I am trying to decide if it is worth applying ED to Columbia or if I should apply ED to NYU.

I am a AA Female and have a 3.55 GPA, and a 167 LSAT

I also just received an unsolicited merit fee waiver from Columbia

In addition to this, I feel as though I have a particularly compelling personal statement (black child of single mother who grew up in an impoverished rural town and created a mentorship program which has gotten students to college who normally would have never even graduated high school)

I will also be producing a diversity statement which i've heard Columbia. is particularly fond of.

Don't ED. Instead, you should apply to many (or all) of the T14.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”