AA Male chances at Chicago, Columbia, UVA

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Southend97

AA Male chances at Chicago, Columbia, UVA

Postby Southend97 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 pm

By the time I apply to law school my GPA will be somewhere between 3.49-3.53. I've been scoring around 160 on my practice exams so far with 2 months of studying. If I can get my LSAT score to between 165-168 what are my chances for:

Columbia
UPenn
Chicago
UVA

I plan on taking the June and September LSATs. Also what school do you think would benefit me most if I want to get a clerjship or work for the government?

Softs: Internship with Florida Democrats, 10 months of research experience including 5 months of paid Political Science research, member of Phi Alpha Delta

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Re: AA Male chances at Chicago, Columbia, UVA

Postby Nebby » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:30 pm

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Chicago and Virginia have a higher percentage of students getting a federal clerkship. Idk about working for government.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm

MyNameIsntJames

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:28 am

Southend97 wrote:By the time I apply to law school my GPA will be somewhere between 3.49-3.53. I've been scoring around 160 on my practice exams so far with 2 months of studying. If I can get my LSAT score to between 165-168 what are my chances for:

Columbia
UPenn
Chicago
UVA

I plan on taking the June and September LSATs. Also what school do you think would benefit me most if I want to get a clerjship or work for the government?

Softs: Internship with Florida Democrats, 10 months of research experience including 5 months of paid Political Science research, member of Phi Alpha Delta

To start off with, your softs probably aren't going to move the needle substantially because they're normal among applicants to the schools you're wishing to get.

You have a few months until the June/September LSAT, why is your goal just 165-168 if you're already at 160? You have more than enough time to continue to bump that score to 170+ and if you're at 160 after two months then this is most likely within your capabilities.

I don't know if predictions are worthwhile for you at this point. The GPA and LSAT score you put here is completely hypothetical so whether we say you'd get in or not is just meaningless musings. I'm sure with those stats you'd have a legit shot at all of the schools you mentioned. But we're just spit balling here. Best thing you can do is just raise your GPA as high as you can and shoot for a 180.

Go Nats!

Postby Go Nats! » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:35 pm

I agree with the previous poster on this point. And I'd further add that it's way too early to start thinking about which of those schools are best for clerkships or government. You don't even have any scores yet!

I got into UVA with a similar GPA and 165 LSAT, so, take that anecdotal evidence as you well. Then get back to studying.

tinycatfriend

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Hey, real talk: I went to Chicago for undergrad and it is a pretty tough school to be a black man at (a lot of institutionalized racism, especially because its in the South Side and students are taught to look at black people as threats). Just putting that out there as a heads-up.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”