HELP! URM! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
marryJLP92

New

HELP! URM!

Post by marryJLP92 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello comrades!

I've been a consistent onlooker for the better part of two years now, and the time has come to seek the advice of my fellow wise URM's.
In the spirit of treating your time as valuable as mine, I will keep this concise and to the point.

Context

1) My mother is half Brazilian half African (Angolan heritage), in essence what Americans describe as 'African-American', the same applies with a Brazilian backdrop for my mother. She is thus, African-Brazilian.

2) My father is American (California born and raised), as am I!

My queries are as follows:

1) Irrespective of what I consider myself '(mixed race', 'black heritage' and quite frankly a minority in the broadest of terms) do I 'qualify' as a URM? Does my mothers Angolan heritage in essence transcend to make me AA/Black?
2) How are U.S. citizens with a foreign education assessed (International or US)? Does the URM 'bump' still apply?
3) Is T-10 beyond my reach? (particular desire for NYU/Columbia/HLS)
4) Would any foreign educated URM's applying/applied/attending law school please PM me!

In short, my relatively unique background as a U.S. citizen having studied abroad with a minority status has engendered a variety of questions. All insight/opinions/criticisms/appraisals are welcome!

Yours,

Marry
Last edited by marryJLP92 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latif

New

Re: HELP! URM!

Post by latif » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Would you check Black/African American or White in the race box?

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 am

Hi Latif, I would check both Black and White caucasian on the application.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Zeglo, I appreciate the response!
Do you think a LSAT re-take would be worth the trouble?

ood

New

Post by ood » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:14 am

I wouldn't retake unless you start PTing at least 174+. Seeing as how you already scored at the high end of your range.

Definitely a shot at T5. Just check all the boxes that apply to you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”