Mixed race URM, UCLA/USC.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
TWalton83

Mixed race URM, UCLA/USC.

Postby TWalton83 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm a mixed race female. Black and Filipino. I've heard that Asians don't get any type of URM boost. I was wondering if being half Asian would kind of negate my blackness, how it often does in society. Would I need to disclose my Filipino side? Or is Filipino even considered Asian? Often we are considered Pacific Islander- but I'm fairly certain that gains no URM "boost" either. I could put in an LGBTQ diversity statement, but I'm bisexual currently in a relationship with another woman and bisexuals don't often get the same "LGBT" status as well, the LGT. solved

My two main goals are USC, or UCLA. I'm a California girl, and it's of the utmost importance to me to stay in California, preferably Southern because I want to do entertainment law and I have more connections to the industry in LA than I do in say, NYC. It would also be much cheaper for me to stay in LA.

After I graduate this year (a full year earlier than most of my peers), I should come out with a 3.5-3.67. After this quarter, right before apps are due for my two GOAL schools, I will come out with a 3.47. My community college GPA was a 3.5. I'm considering taking two online classes from the CC in December to help boost my law admissions GPA (would this even work?). I'm lightly considering staying a full four years to push my GPA as highly as possible, but it's really undesirable for me. UCs are expensive, and I'm not sure the money I would save on law school would balance out. But staying one more year would put me in a better position as far as GPA, and gaining another degree.

I will apply again next year if I don't get to UCLA or USC this cycle. Do you think it's even worth a shot for me this year? Should I just apply to the lower end of t-14s, give it a shot just in case? I mean, if I got into say, NYU and UCLA, it'd be extremely hard for me to choose despite rankings and employment ratios, etc, but its nice to have options. My letters of rec will be killer, and my personal statements have been pretty fire for the last few years, but I know it's really a numbers game.

I'm anticipating 170-ish on the december LSAT, and 171+ on the feb. LSAT. I'm self studying for December, and have taken a handful of practice tests that put me in the high 160s. February, I plan on taking a formal class to prepare. I'm just late getting into what I should've been doing, which kills me. I blame a little bit of indecision between pursuing grad school for AfAm, and law school.

Estimated stats for THIS cycle: 3.47, 170, URM. softs: law internship, black student union (committee position), nigerian student association, black queer collective, president of first establish gay straight alliance at my CC. nothing really unique compared to the rest of the herd, unfortunately. I'm just having a moment where I'm realizing I'm a little late in getting my things together, and have a deadline soon after the Feb LSAC to turn in my graduation forms. I can put myself in a better position next year, or graduate and give it a swing, and simply try to increase LSAT scores next year after my final GPA from undergrad if I don't make it.

If I don't make it this year, I'm going to try to quit my current job after becoming an assistant at a law firm. Quite a few in my area are taking up new undergrads with my poli sci major. I'll do that, or grab another internship. I know being a K JD is hard, so I need the best odds possible.

Thanks to all who have given advice so far!
Last edited by TWalton83 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

grades??

Re: Mixed race URM, UCLA/USC.

Postby grades?? » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:17 pm

None of this matters until you get a score. This site is filled with people oh I'm practice testing high 160s ill for sure get 170-173 on the real test and then don't do it. I hope you do it! But until you have a score, none of this matters.

TWalton83

Postby TWalton83 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:02 pm

grades?? wrote:None of this matters until you get a score. This site is filled with people oh I'm practice testing high 160s ill for sure get 170-173 on the real test and then don't do it. I hope you do it! But until you have a score, none of this matters.

You know, this is a perspective I HAVEN'T heard yet on the multiple forums and avenues I've asked. Thanks for this. On one hand, you're right. I'm just seeking a little bit of reassurance that I'm not totally hopeless if all goes well. I more than likely won't be able to get fee waivers this time around, so I really need to focus in on targets and safeties, if those are even possible in my circumstance (again, assuming all goes well). All I can do is study rigorously until then, and report back I guess.

Do you have any insight to my mixed race problem?

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:55 pm

TWalton83 wrote:Do you have any insight to my mixed race problem?

General comments first: Graduating early will not help your app, it will most likely hurt it if you are going k-jd. There is a pretty strong trend away from taking k-jd students. 80% of the students at my LS have at least one year of work experience. I personally know people who graduated early who under performed their numbers in their admissions cycle. Once you get your degree taking classes afterwards will not boost your GPA, so I recomend finishing your fourth year with easy classes to boost GPA or possibly working a year or two before applying if you graduate this year.
I echo the above sentiment that until you have an actual score there isn't really much sense in worrying about where it is possible to end up. People have something go wrong on the day of the test all the time and score below their PT average, and trying to predict where you can end up from where you are now is far less certain then predicting you will score in your average PT range.

As far as URM goes, they don't counter balance each other. I am mixed White and Hispanic(Cuban/Puerto Rican) and I got the boost after marking all the boxes that applied. You shouldn't mark these things to try to game the system. You should mark the boxes truthfully. Law school Admins understand the complexities of race/gender/sexuality they arn't going to not give you a boost because you don't fit one exact box. You are actually more unique because of these complexities and if you can accurately articulate these things in your app and how they will help bring new perspectives to the class they will only help you.

even if you apply with a 3.5 and a 167, as a AA LGBTQ applicant, I would think you have a very a high chance of gaining admission to the schools you mentioned. I would also apply to Berkeley and Stanford. You should read the threads on here about AA admissions you would be surprised how much of a boost it is. Apply broadly even to schools you might not want to go to and use them as leverage for scholarships for the schools you do want to go to.

TWalton83

Postby TWalton83 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:56 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
TWalton83 wrote:Do you have any insight to my mixed race problem?

General comments first: Graduating early will not help your app, it will most likely hurt it if you are going k-jd. There is a pretty strong trend away from taking k-jd students. 80% of the students at my LS have at least one year of work experience. I personally know people who graduated early who under performed their numbers in their admissions cycle. Once you get your degree taking classes afterwards will not boost your GPA, so I recomend finishing your fourth year with easy classes to boost GPA or possibly working a year or two before applying if you graduate this year.
I echo the above sentiment that until you have an actual score there isn't really much sense in worrying about where it is possible to end up. People have something go wrong on the day of the test all the time and score below their PT average, and trying to predict where you can end up from where you are now is far less certain then predicting you will score in your average PT range.

As far as URM goes, they don't counter balance each other. I am mixed White and Hispanic(Cuban/Puerto Rican) and I got the boost after marking all the boxes that applied. You shouldn't mark these things to try to game the system. You should mark the boxes truthfully. Law school Admins understand the complexities of race/gender/sexuality they arn't going to not give you a boost because you don't fit one exact box. You are actually more unique because of these complexities and if you can accurately articulate these things in your app and how they will help bring new perspectives to the class they will only help you.

even if you apply with a 3.5 and a 167, as a AA LGBTQ applicant, I would think you have a very a high chance of gaining admission to the schools you mentioned. I would also apply to Berkeley and Stanford. You should read the threads on here about AA admissions you would be surprised how much of a boost it is. Apply broadly even to schools you might not want to go to and use them as leverage for scholarships for the schools you do want to go to.
thank you so much for your insight. my graduation app deadline is soon after my lsat and applications, so i'm stressing out a little on whether i should just graduate, or wait. much appreciated for the honesty and knowledge!

cc268

Postby cc268 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:06 pm

I am half black and half asian as well but i'm Canadian. I've been told that since I am part black I would be getting the same urm boost as full blooded african americans in spite of my asian heritage and that the latter would have no affect on the boost I will receive. Hope this helps!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”