Black communities @ LS?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
brinicolec

Black communities @ LS?

Postby brinicolec » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:42 am

So I was having a convo with a current 1L @ one of the T14 about the black community (small but close-knit is what I gathered from the response) and it got me wondering what info, if any, my fellow black TLSers have gathered about black communities at particular law schools. Obviously (and perhaps unfortunately) a vast majority of attorneys are white, but I still would love to find a LS that has a welcoming black community that seems to stick together.

ArtistOfManliness

Re: Black communities @ LS?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 am

I'm not black, but I know that SLS's black community is quite close knit.

sweets91

Postby sweets91 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 am

Also not black, but I know the BLSA president at my school and he's one of the coolest people I've met. They seem to have a good thing going

USayinBoalt

Postby USayinBoalt » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 am

Fellow black person here. I have read on TLS that NYU has a GREAT black community/organization

MyNameIsntJames

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:46 am

brinicolec wrote:So I was having a convo with a current 1L @ one of the T14 about the black community (small but close-knit is what I gathered from the response) and it got me wondering what info, if any, my fellow black TLSers have gathered about black communities at particular law schools. Obviously (and perhaps unfortunately) a vast majority of attorneys are white, but I still would love to find a LS that has a welcoming black community that seems to stick together.

Thanks for posting this because I've been curious about this as well. I mean I got no problem w the white folk but I really don't want to be isolated from all other minorities.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:09 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
brinicolec wrote:So I was having a convo with a current 1L @ one of the T14 about the black community (small but close-knit is what I gathered from the response) and it got me wondering what info, if any, my fellow black TLSers have gathered about black communities at particular law schools. Obviously (and perhaps unfortunately) a vast majority of attorneys are white, but I still would love to find a LS that has a welcoming black community that seems to stick together.

Thanks for posting this because I've been curious about this as well. I mean I got no problem w the white folk but I really don't want to be isolated from all other minorities.

Yeah, I just think it's important to have a tight minority community to be able to rely on because there's some things you just can't really talk about with white ppl since they don't necessarily experience the same things/relate. Plus, I really love my ppl :lol:

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:11 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:

lol

alpha kenny body

Postby alpha kenny body » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm

just be sociable with everyone and don't focus on being so polarized. more times than not, everyone is chill and inclusive.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 pm

fips tedora wrote:just be sociable with everyone and don't focus on being so polarized. more times than not, everyone is chill and inclusive.

This isn't polarizing, lol. I've lived in many predominantly-white places and went to a PWI and think that it's important to have a black community because, as I stated before, it's not comfortable talking to your white friends about everything and it's also very frustrating when your white friends can't relate/understand what you're talking about because it's not something they experience. I have white FAMILY that I can't even talk to about certain issues (especially race issues) because they don't understand the other side of that. Also, I don't think wanting to have a community of people who look like me is polarizing. This is something white people tend not to have to think about because they're the majority population in most places, but it is something that minorities have to actively consider. I'm not worried about white people not being inclusive and "chill."

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Black law student at Penn here. I love all (most) of my classmates and the strong, collaborative community, but the black community here is really tight-knit and like family. Most of my closest friends at law school came through my involvement in BLSA, and I don't think I would have made it through 1L without them. I think that most T14 BLSAs share that same tight-knit community (at least from what my friends at other schools tell me).

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Black law student at Penn here. I love all (most) of my classmates and the strong, collaborative community, but the black community here is really tight-knit and like family. Most of my closest friends at law school came through my involvement in BLSA, and I don't think I would have made it through 1L without them. I think that most T14 BLSAs share that same tight-knit community (at least from what my friends at other schools tell me).

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling. One of my friends is at UMich and she said that it's basically like a rule that all the black law students (as small of a number as it is) speak when they see each other and they're all pretty tight-knit.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:56 pm

BLSA/LALSA/APALSA/other minority groups do a good job of coordinating with their respective minority bar associations in terms of networking events, job fairs, etc.

they're also good for purely social events too like HH's. also from what i've seen, most have outline banks too - of varying quality.

christinaxcarrie

Postby christinaxcarrie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:20 am

I am really hoping to go to a school with a strong black community, mainly because I've never had strong ties. I grew up in the Hamptons area of New York, which is basically the Beverly Hills of the East Coast. I'm not going to sit here and complain, I had a lot of great opportunities, but I did miss out on creating a cultural identity. It is sad to say that I don't have any close black friends, and while I don't want to start choosing my friends based on color, it would be nice to have at least a few friends that share my identity.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 am

At UChi, I'm not in BLSA but I'm in another affinity group that does stuff with them, plus I'm friends with a lot of them. They seem great and they do a lot for their members. I'm kinda jealous TBH we're comparatively a bit of a slacker affinity group

LegallyBlackJD

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Removed.
Last edited by LegallyBlackJD on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:58 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:Fellow black person here. I have read on TLS that NYU has a GREAT black community/organization

Can confirm this.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 am

LegallyBlackJD wrote:As a black female, I am very interested in the BLSA at the law schools in the T14. I attended PWIs my entire life - and I am probably going to attend a PWI for law school, especially if it is a T14. So... BLSA presence is extremely important to me. I will definitely be visiting schools and asking the BLSA a million and one questions. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Definitely keep us updated

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”