To Wait or Not to Wait?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Hobbesy
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am

To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby Hobbesy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 am

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding my apps and was wondering if I could get some advice...

I'm a URM female (AA AND Hispanic), I've taken the LSAT once (152, we pretend it didn't happen) and I just took it in September. 3.44 GPA, a lot of softs (currently working as a paralegal in a big law firm, LOR from chairman of said big law firm, study abroad, solid internships throughout college, decent leadership activities).

I know my GPA is on the low side for T-14 so I'm going to be a splitter. My last practice test I got a 160 solid and still felt room for improvement. Went into test day and the notorious laquer passage shook me and I ended up guessing my last 6/7 answer choices in RC (which is already my weakest section). So my LSAT score is pretty up in the air but I'm hoping I made up for it with the undying confidence in all of my other sections.

I say all of these things to ask if I should continue with the current pacing of my application and have everything in by November 15? I'm aiming to get into CLS early decision. Or should I re-test in December and have everything ready to go from the moment the scores release?
Everything is very contingent on my September LSAT score...but I want to get a head start on possible options/merits of waiting it out and taking a third shot at the test. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

joeyc328
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby joeyc328 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 am

Wait until you get a 170 on the LSAT.

lgsb2014
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby lgsb2014 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 am

Hobbesy wrote:Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding my apps and was wondering if I could get some advice...

I'm a URM female (AA AND Hispanic), I've taken the LSAT once (152, we pretend it didn't happen) and I just took it in September. 3.44 GPA, a lot of softs (currently working as a paralegal in a big law firm, LOR from chairman of said big law firm, study abroad, solid internships throughout college, decent leadership activities).

I know my GPA is on the low side for T-14 so I'm going to be a splitter. My last practice test I got a 160 solid and still felt room for improvement. Went into test day and the notorious laquer passage shook me and I ended up guessing my last 6/7 answer choices in RC (which is already my weakest section). So my LSAT score is pretty up in the air but I'm hoping I made up for it with the undying confidence in all of my other sections.

I say all of these things to ask if I should continue with the current pacing of my application and have everything in by November 15? I'm aiming to get into CLS early decision. Or should I re-test in December and have everything ready to go from the moment the scores release?
Everything is very contingent on my September LSAT score...but I want to get a head start on possible options/merits of waiting it out and taking a third shot at the test. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! :)


Sorry -- how did you jump from 152 to 160? Currently in that spot myself right now.

User avatar
USayinBoalt
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby USayinBoalt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:03 pm

If you don't get the score you want from the September test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can't emphasize this enough) don't take the test again until your testing 3-5 points above your target score even if that means skipping this cycle. With your GPA you are gonna need a 165+ to have a decent shot a CLS

Image

Sample size is pretty small though

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby PrezRand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 pm

wait and retake

Hobbesy
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby Hobbesy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:17 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:
Sorry -- how did you jump from 152 to 160? Currently in that spot myself right now.

I actually jumped from 146....I took the testmasters course and just identified question types that I sucked and kept drilling them. They have a huge question bank. But even without those resources, you can do a lot of targeted practice. I also made a point of not second guessing myself because my gut was almost always right! Hope that helps :)

USayinBoalt wrote:If you don't get the score you want from the September test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can't emphasize this enough) don't take the test again until your testing 3-5 points above your target score even if that means skipping this cycle. With your GPA you are gonna need a 165+ to have a decent shot a CLS


Can't say I can wait another admissions cycle for a lot of reasons that don't need to be put on this forum. I graduated in 2015 though so I've already pushed it back some. I won't be thaaaaaat upset if I go to another school! I suppose I should mention that my first test was back in 2014, so that "take" expires soon from what I remember.


And to reply to everyone else who said retake (sorry this forum is tricky on the phone) I'm concerned about waiting ruining my chances for acceptances across the board...but I'm not too adverse to it. And would it be prudent to include an addendum explaining my scores?

joeyc328
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby joeyc328 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:17 pm

There is not a single school worth going to with a 3.4 and a 160 (if you even have a 160).

beantheshadow
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby beantheshadow » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
lgsb2014 wrote:
Sorry -- how did you jump from 152 to 160? Currently in that spot myself right now.

I actually jumped from 146....I took the testmasters course and just identified question types that I sucked and kept drilling them. They have a huge question bank. But even without those resources, you can do a lot of targeted practice. I also made a point of not second guessing myself because my gut was almost always right! Hope that helps :)

USayinBoalt wrote:If you don't get the score you want from the September test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can't emphasize this enough) don't take the test again until your testing 3-5 points above your target score even if that means skipping this cycle. With your GPA you are gonna need a 165+ to have a decent shot a CLS


Can't say I can wait another admissions cycle for a lot of reasons that don't need to be put on this forum. I graduated in 2015 though so I've already pushed it back some. I won't be thaaaaaat upset if I go to another school! I suppose I should mention that my first test was back in 2014, so that "take" expires soon from what I remember.


And to reply to everyone else who said retake (sorry this forum is tricky on the phone) I'm concerned about waiting ruining my chances for acceptances across the board...but I'm not too adverse to it. And would it be prudent to include an addendum explaining my scores?


If you must apply this cycle, and you only score in the 157-160 on the September Exam, I'd say definitely re-take in December and shoot for 165+. There is enough time to get at that score consistently. An app with an 165+ in January>>>>> an app with 157-160>> in October. Put all of you effort into the LSAT these next few months, don't even worry about your Personal Statement until after you take in December. Just make sure you have your LORs sent in, but maximize that LSAT.

Right now your in that range where a lot of testers start to get stuck, but push through! You'll get over that 160 hill and then review will start getting a little easier, concepts will start to make sense, you'll start crushing the 'easy' questions in LR and LG so you have more time to work on the tougher questions! I was in a similar position as you last year, my first attempt was actually lower than yours, but I decided to really put my full effort into studying and re-took last December and scored in the high 160s! It can be done.

Hobbesy
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby Hobbesy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
lgsb2014 wrote:
Sorry -- how did you jump from 152 to 160? Currently in that spot myself right now.

I actually jumped from 146....I took the testmasters course and just identified question types that I sucked and kept drilling them. They have a huge question bank. But even without those resources, you can do a lot of targeted practice. I also made a point of not second guessing myself because my gut was almost always right! Hope that helps :)

USayinBoalt wrote:If you don't get the score you want from the September test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can't emphasize this enough) don't take the test again until your testing 3-5 points above your target score even if that means skipping this cycle. With your GPA you are gonna need a 165+ to have a decent shot a CLS


Can't say I can wait another admissions cycle for a lot of reasons that don't need to be put on this forum. I graduated in 2015 though so I've already pushed it back some. I won't be thaaaaaat upset if I go to another school! I suppose I should mention that my first test was back in 2014, so that "take" expires soon from what I remember.


And to reply to everyone else who said retake (sorry this forum is tricky on the phone) I'm concerned about waiting ruining my chances for acceptances across the board...but I'm not too adverse to it. And would it be prudent to include an addendum explaining my scores?


If you must apply this cycle, and you only score in the 157-160 on the September Exam, I'd say definitely re-take in December and shoot for 165+. There is enough time to get at that score consistently. An app with an 165+ in January>>>>> an app with 157-160>> in October. Put all of you effort into the LSAT these next few months, don't even worry about your Personal Statement until after you take in December. Just make sure you have your LORs sent in, but maximize that LSAT.

Right now your in that range where a lot of testers start to get stuck, but push through! You'll get over that 160 hill and then review will start getting a little easier, concepts will start to make sense, you'll start crushing the 'easy' questions in LR and LG so you have more time to work on the tougher questions! I was in a similar position as you last year, my first attempt was actually lower than yours, but I decided to really put my full effort into studying and re-took last December and scored in the high 160s! It can be done.


This makes me feel a lot better. Looks like I'll be sitting in December. Thanks for all of the help everyone I think I can I think I can :D

beantheshadow
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: To Wait or Not to Wait?

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
lgsb2014 wrote:
Sorry -- how did you jump from 152 to 160? Currently in that spot myself right now.

I actually jumped from 146....I took the testmasters course and just identified question types that I sucked and kept drilling them. They have a huge question bank. But even without those resources, you can do a lot of targeted practice. I also made a point of not second guessing myself because my gut was almost always right! Hope that helps :)

USayinBoalt wrote:If you don't get the score you want from the September test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can't emphasize this enough) don't take the test again until your testing 3-5 points above your target score even if that means skipping this cycle. With your GPA you are gonna need a 165+ to have a decent shot a CLS


Can't say I can wait another admissions cycle for a lot of reasons that don't need to be put on this forum. I graduated in 2015 though so I've already pushed it back some. I won't be thaaaaaat upset if I go to another school! I suppose I should mention that my first test was back in 2014, so that "take" expires soon from what I remember.


And to reply to everyone else who said retake (sorry this forum is tricky on the phone) I'm concerned about waiting ruining my chances for acceptances across the board...but I'm not too adverse to it. And would it be prudent to include an addendum explaining my scores?


If you must apply this cycle, and you only score in the 157-160 on the September Exam, I'd say definitely re-take in December and shoot for 165+. There is enough time to get at that score consistently. An app with an 165+ in January>>>>> an app with 157-160>> in October. Put all of you effort into the LSAT these next few months, don't even worry about your Personal Statement until after you take in December. Just make sure you have your LORs sent in, but maximize that LSAT.

Right now your in that range where a lot of testers start to get stuck, but push through! You'll get over that 160 hill and then review will start getting a little easier, concepts will start to make sense, you'll start crushing the 'easy' questions in LR and LG so you have more time to work on the tougher questions! I was in a similar position as you last year, my first attempt was actually lower than yours, but I decided to really put my full effort into studying and re-took last December and scored in the high 160s! It can be done.


This makes me feel a lot better. Looks like I'll be sitting in December. Thanks for all of the help everyone I think I can I think I can :D


You can! Lol Good luck, if you want any study tips or have questions feel free to send a PM!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest