Worth applying to Harvard? (And other questions) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
eli_1812

New

Worth applying to Harvard? (And other questions)

Post by eli_1812 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:55 pm

-
Last edited by eli_1812 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jelufowoju

New

Re: Worth applying to Harvard? (And other questions)

Post by jelufowoju » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:02 pm

I used to work at Harvard Law School, definitely apply, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you can get your score into the mid 170s you're looking at least one CCN acceptance and multiple middle to lower tier t-14 acceptances with money. I can't really gauge what your chances at HLS are because there's been such an inconsistency in outcomes for AA's with your stats. I know for certain that some have been accepted with 3.2-3.4 gpa's and with 173+ lsat's but they're also many with such stats that have been rejected. Just apply and see what happens. Good luck.

eli_1812

New

Post by eli_1812 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:10 pm

jelufowoju wrote:I used to work at Harvard Law School, definitely apply, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you can get your score into the mid 170s you're looking at least one CCN acceptance and multiple middle to lower tier t-14 acceptances with money. I can't really gauge what your chances at HLS are because there's been such an inconsistency in outcomes for AA's with your stats. I know for certain that some have been accepted with 3.2-3.4 gpa's and with 173+ lsat's but they're also many with such stats that have been rejected. Just apply and see what happens. Good luck.
Wow, that's great to hear. I'll definitely keep pushing into the 170s being that I have over a month until the actual exam. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to get a 170-173 LSAT, would it be better to apply during the fall semester when I have a 3.2-3.25? Or apply over winter break when I have a 3.3-3.35? Basically- should I focus on raising my GPA by one tenth of a point or applying when there is less competition?

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 pm

As a URM (specifically an AA male) I think if you have the money to pay for the app you should apply to all schools from Harvard down on the t-14. The difference between a 3.2 and 3.3 is negligible in my eyes, both of them are way below the 25th. Definitely get your LSAT in the 170s to increase your chances. This is all contingent on you scoring high on the LSAT though so keep up the good work

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:15 pm

165+ would be good for lower T14, 170+ could get you H. just do your best and apply broadly. Be sure to re-take if you don't get your highest score tho cuz thats all that counts

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Take the LSAT and apply early. I am a huge believer in going for it despite numbers (no matter what TLS says). Have you thought about taking a year or two off? Just a suggestion. Either way, I would say to definitely apply. Good luck!

eli_1812

New

Post by eli_1812 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:26 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:As a URM (specifically an AA male) I think if you have the money to pay for the app you should apply to all schools from Harvard down on the t-14. The difference between a 3.2 and 3.3 is negligible in my eyes, both of them are way below the 25th. Definitely get your LSAT in the 170s to increase your chances. This is all contingent on you scoring high on the LSAT though so keep up the good work

UPDATE: Past 2 tests (yesterday and three days ago) were 172 and 175. Did a RC section before starting the 4 section PT in order to simulate a real 5 section test. Took no breaks between the last 4 sections.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 am

eli_1812 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:As a URM (specifically an AA male) I think if you have the money to pay for the app you should apply to all schools from Harvard down on the t-14. The difference between a 3.2 and 3.3 is negligible in my eyes, both of them are way below the 25th. Definitely get your LSAT in the 170s to increase your chances. This is all contingent on you scoring high on the LSAT though so keep up the good work

UPDATE: Past 2 tests (yesterday and three days ago) were 172 and 175. Did a RC section before starting the 4 section PT in order to simulate a real 5 section test. Took no breaks between the last 4 sections.
That's great! Keep gettin scores like that and I'm sure you'll be able to get that score in the 170's come test day :D

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”