160+ by Sept. Can I still do it? Losing Hope! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lgsb2014

New

160+ by Sept. Can I still do it? Losing Hope!

Post by lgsb2014 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm doing a Testmasters course for prep. I work MWF from 8:30am- 3PM (Tues/Thurs 8:30AM-5PM). I study MWF from 3:30-8:00/8:30PM. Tues/Thurs I go to the prep course from 6-10pm. I'm also studying weekends from about 10AM-4PM. I've taken three diagnostics and my score has remained the same (141). I'm not finishing half of the exam but my accuracy is improving. I've been putting in massive work these past few weeks, drilling LR/LG's/RC.
I want to break 160 by the Sept LSAT.
ANY ADVISE? I'm starting to freak out because I'm not improving :(
Last edited by lgsb2014 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnsch

Bronze

Re: 160+ by Sept. Can I still do it? Losing Hope!

Post by xnsch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:Hey Everyone,
I'm doing a Testmasters course for prep. I work MWF from 8:30am- 3PM (Tues/Thurs 8:30AM-5PM). I study MWF from 3:30-8:00/8:30AM. Tues/Thurs I go to the prep course from 6-10pm. I'm also studying weekends from about 10AM-4PM. I've taken three diagnostics and my score has remained the same (141). I'm not finishing half of the exam but my accuracy is improving. I've been putting in massive work these past few weeks, drilling LR/LG's/RC.
You've still got time but if you're not improving in your score at all given how much you're studying you may be doing something wrong. Are you making the same types of mistakes each time? Are you blind reviewing your practice tests after each one to learn from your mistakes?

PinkDaffodil

New

Post by PinkDaffodil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 am

I took a TM course a while back. I ended up having to postpone the test because my score was not improving despite doing all the hw. Start focusing on your weaknesses NOW and do the at home PTs asap.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:12 am

You said you're not finishing half of the LSAT? If I were you, I'd do a PT and focus on finishing within the time to get the best gauge of where you are score-wise. With you only finishing half of the test right now, it's hard to say. Why are you having so much difficulty finishing?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:27 am

I'm doing a Testmasters course for prep. I work MWF from 8:30am- 3PM (Tues/Thurs 8:30AM-5PM). I study MWF from 3:30-8:00/8:30PM. Tues/Thurs I go to the prep course from 6-10pm. I'm also studying weekends from about 10AM-4PM. I've taken three diagnostics and my score has remained the same (141). I'm not finishing half of the exam but my accuracy is improving. I've been putting in massive work these past few weeks, drilling LR/LG's/RC.

I would advise you postpone. You aren't likely to jump 20 points in 6 weeks, Something you are doing clearly isn't working, thus, I would reevaluate your approach.

First, don't take any more diagnostics, at this point in your prep, you're wasting valuable tests you can actually get something out of later on.

Second, Don't freak out, but you need to change how you're studying. I'd recommend the Powerscore Books, to begin with. I think they are easiest to understand and start with for many of the people I know who used them, myself included.
If you're scoring a 141 you need to learn basic fundamentals. Is it too late to get a refund from Testmasters?

You have to remember that your speed is tied directly to your accuracy and understanding of the tasks the LSAT is asking of you.

Well, in any case, let me know what you think of these suggestions, op. But first and foremost I wouldn't plan on taking the LSAT in September...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:

I would advise you postpone. You aren't likely to jump 20 points in 6 weeks, Something you are doing clearly isn't working, thus, I would reevaluate your approach.

First, don't take any more diagnostics, at this point in your prep, you're wasting valuable tests you can actually get something out of later on.

Second, Don't freak out, but you need to change how you're studying. I'd recommend the Powerscore Books, to begin with. I think they are easiest to understand and start with for many of the people I know who used them, myself included.
If you're scoring a 141 you need to learn basic fundamentals. Is it too late to get a refund from Testmasters?

You have to remember that your speed is tied directly to your accuracy and understanding of the tasks the LSAT is asking of you.

Well, in any case, let me know what you think of these suggestions, op. But first and foremost I wouldn't plan on taking the LSAT in September...
^ all of this. Postpone the exam, see if you can get a refund from Testmasters.
There is nothing wrong with taking the exam later. In fact, it can really only be beneficial. By far your best option. And seriously, tons of friends of mine swear by Powerscore. I didn't do it personally, but several friends attest it is the only reason they got into law school. Try it, take a few days off first, breathe, it'll work out. Gl

lgsb2014

New

Post by lgsb2014 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:46 pm

I actually started doing the homework they suggested and scored a 150 in a diagnostic. This was two weeks ago. I've done even more homework and drilling. I'm thinking of taking another diagnostic this weekend. If I don't improve, then I may postpone the exam. What do y'all think?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:I actually started doing the homework they suggested and scored a 150 in a diagnostic. This was two weeks ago. I've done even more homework and drilling. I'm thinking of taking another diagnostic this weekend. If I don't improve, then I may postpone the exam. What do y'all think?

Wait.... you previously weren't doing the homework assignments?

lgsb2014

New

Post by lgsb2014 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm

brinicolec wrote:
lgsb2014 wrote:I actually started doing the homework they suggested and scored a 150 in a diagnostic. This was two weeks ago. I've done even more homework and drilling. I'm thinking of taking another diagnostic this weekend. If I don't improve, then I may postpone the exam. What do y'all think?

Wait.... you previously weren't doing the homework assignments?
Not as much as I am doing them now. :/

CoGar

New

Post by CoGar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm also currently in TM. Started at 145 shot up to 155/57 but last 3 diagnostics have been 151. Also hoping for 160+ by Sept. We can do it!!!! Just dedicated time to your HW and find weaknesses to focus on as stated above. The jump from 140's-150s isnt to bad if your doing the right things. Its from 150s-160s where it starts to get a bit more difficult.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”