URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
brinicolec

Gold

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm

EinassA wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
Maybe the school is not the most diverse in the traditional sense but the location (Boston, Philly, Chi etc) is progressive and friendly.

I think we should all be careful about this point. And AA males especially. I went to UChicago for UG. Black students made up about 4% during my time. My main issue was the dynamics of the location of the school within the city. UChicago is in Hyde Park, a relatively progressive and affluent neighborhood in the greater South Side. The adjacent neighborhoods were some of the most dangerous and economically depressed in the city. Those neighborhoods were not a problem, it was how the campus community felt about it. You could feel the tension at times. And as an AA male student in that setting, it could be difficult. But nothing I'm saying is new to any black American.

I'm also generally skeptical of cities that are so called progressive. There is a history of racism in northeastern cities that doesn't get spoken of a lot. Especially in Boston. Even in NYC, where I live now, this 'elitist liberal place' is full of examples of racism. It's often just more covert. Not trying to be a downer. But I think it's important for us to remain resilient. The legal profession is still struggling with diversity and inclusion.

Thanks for bringing up this salient point. I guess I meant in the broader sense, one would have more luck finding refuge in a diverse city than a small, predominantly white college town. You are right...resilience is key.

I agree with both parts of this post. I think some of those cities ARE going to be more progressive, and also more diverse, which leaves the option for also being able to have friends outside of law school that add diversity to your friend circle (if you have time to make them). But the reality is that racism is everywhere and I think in places like NYC, DC, etc. there are parts of the city that are more welcoming for minorities than others.

Is Boston really progressive though? I've heard some negative things about it regarding racism but haven't ever been.

lnsl123

Bronze

Postby lnsl123 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:31 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Is Boston really progressive though? I've heard some negative things about it regarding racism but haven't ever been.

Boston is one of those weird places to me. I spent 5 years of my childhood in Massachusetts, and I always remember my mother talking about how racist Boston is. I think Massachusetts is generally highly progressive and liberal. But there's a history of racial and ethnic tensions in the city. Not sure how that plays out today.

Greater Boston area also has more than 50 institutions for higher learning and over 250K students. Although the city definitely has its own shameful history, it is still considered a Mecca for education. That, for me, is promising...

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 pm

anyone also feeling slightly nervous about the caliber of experience that students will have at a T14?

I haven't exactly done nothing since graduating but I also haven't worked with an NGO in India or been a field organizer in Obama's re-election campaign, or played D1 sports in college. I know this has no real impact on your grades but I can't help but wonder if I will feel out of my league when I get to law school.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:anyone also feeling slightly nervous about the caliber of experience that students will have at a T14?

I haven't exactly done nothing since graduating but I also haven't worked with an NGO in India or been a field organizer in Obama's re-election campaign, or played D1 sports in college. I know this has no real impact on your grades but I can't help but wonder if I will feel out of my league when I get to law school.

The vast majority of other people haven't either! The way I see it: if you get into a law school, you're in for a reason, and you have the same shot on day one.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:22 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:anyone also feeling slightly nervous about the caliber of experience that students will have at a T14?

My sister went to Columbia Law and was super accomplished (having done work in our native country, Kuwait, Paris, Human Rights Watch, U.N., etc) and still had Imposter Syndrome her first year of law. I think everyone kinda feels inadequate coming in. She said you get over it quickly when you realize that!

texcellence

Bronze

Postby texcellence » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Meh, i think working is great for general life experience but doesn't really have any bearing on how well you'll do in law school. i know lots of people who have worked at prestigious NGOs pushing papers or worked on campaigns but who are not the sharpest tools in the shed, intellectually or academically in UG. they just have extraordinary stamina and a high tolerance for shitty work environments, which i suppose is good for dat Biglaw lyfe 8)

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:33 pm

All that means nothing. Everyone has experiences and has been involved in things. I worked at a grocery store for five years. Some people have been working in firms already and getting experience. Well I have always done extremely well in class and thought of as the brightest in my classes. I managed to do well while working all through undergrad. People's softs mean shit. All that matters is grades at the end of the day. We got in. The school believes in us. We can do it!

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm

you guys have all made excellent points. I think once classes actually begin and your swamped with work you probably don't have much time to think about this stuff anyways.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:you guys have all made excellent points. I think once classes actually begin and your swamped with work you probably don't have much time to think about this stuff anyways.

Meh, I think it's something that will always be thought about - even if it's more in the back of your mind. Kind of like the whole being the only minority in a classroom thing. Maybe you're not actively thinking about it all the time, but you still can't help but notice it.

Edit: but I do think that the trick to not psyching yourself out is realizing regardless of what your peers did prior to LS, everyone is a 1L. Everyone actually has no idea wtf is going on and is trying to navigate through it. Everyone is gonna be panicked when finals come around because they've never taken a law exam before. Even if some people seem to have everything figured out, they're probably still just as worried as the next person lol

bunney_j

Bronze

Postby bunney_j » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Checking in! PR female. In at Vandy, WUSTL, Cornell, and BU. Waitlisted by Chicago and waiting on the a few other t14 + Emory. 3.8/165. I'm a late applicant because I took the December LSAT, and sent in everything around 1/10, but I am worried I haven't had any interview requests besides WUSTL and Cornell. (Also a SEO applicant, interview will be next week)

Re: hispanic/URM discussions earlier, I spoke to a former dean at a t6 school about this (who works with a family member now in an unrelated field.) They said that boosts depend largely on the region and school itself. For hispanics specifically, Cali-Texas-West Coast "prefer" or give more of a boost to MAs because of their heavier presence in the area. New York schools have more of a "preference" for Puerto Ricans in some cases, who would then get more of a boost. They said similarly Cubans might get a boost in Florida. I guess it has to do with being a URM in that area specifically?
And they said pretty clearly that URM status is a soft in that can boost a few points on GPA or LSAT, so that non-URM hispanics might get 2-3 points on an LSAT score, URM Hispanics and Native Americans might get around 5-10, and Black applicants would get closer 10-12.
And allegedly Yale, Georgetown, and NYU are most URM friendly for those with lower numbers, whereas UVA doesn't give much of a boost.

Just some of the info I've gathered and thought I'd share!! Good luck to everyone!

ETA: also heard for hispanic applicants ability to speak Spanish is given weight at more "diverse" schools...

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:13 pm

bunney_j wrote:Checking in! PR female. In at Vandy, WUSTL, Cornell, and BU. Waitlisted by Chicago and waiting on the a few other t14 + Emory. 3.8/165. I'm a late applicant because I took the December LSAT, and sent in everything around 1/10, but I am worried I haven't had any interview requests besides WUSTL and Cornell. (Also a SEO applicant, interview will be next week).

Congrats on being one of the snowflakes who made it past Cornell's weird-ass adcomms this cycle. :P In all seriousness, welcome! And good luck with SEO.

bunney_j

Bronze

Postby bunney_j » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Last edited by bunney_j on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunney_j

Bronze

Postby bunney_j » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
bunney_j wrote:Checking in! PR female. In at Vandy, WUSTL, Cornell, and BU. Waitlisted by Chicago and waiting on the a few other t14 + Emory. 3.8/165. I'm a late applicant because I took the December LSAT, and sent in everything around 1/10, but I am worried I haven't had any interview requests besides WUSTL and Cornell. (Also a SEO applicant, interview will be next week).

Congrats on being one of the snowflakes who made it past Cornell's weird-ass adcomms this cycle. :P In all seriousness, welcome! And good luck with SEO.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I was accepted due to some softs that related to their specific clinics, and because I named some specific professors whose work I was familiar with my inteview haha. I've heard from someone at Cornell Law now that they're def more focused on YP now, and admitting only those they think will attend.

Also I posted on another thread but has anyone had their SEO interview yet? Is there still a case study involved?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

bunney_j wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I was accepted due to some softs that related to their specific clinics, and because I named some specific professors whose work I was familiar with my inteview haha. I've heard from someone at Cornell Law now that they're def more focused on YP now, and admitting only those they think will attend.

Also I posted on another thread but has anyone had their SEO interview yet? Is there still a case study involved?

I just answered that in that thread lol. The answer is no. I also answered the other part of your question in there!

bunney_j

Bronze

Postby bunney_j » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I just answered that in that thread lol. The answer is no. I also answered the other part of your question in there!

Thanks!! Sorry, I'm new to TLS, and just saw the notification haha.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm

bunney_j wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Thanks!! Sorry, I'm new to TLS, and just saw the notification haha.

Lol it's all good! I already interviewed for SEO and everything (and am the OP of that other thread) so feel free to PM me or something if you have any questions

bunney_j

Bronze

Postby bunney_j » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:31 pm

brinicolec wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Sounds good! I'll definitely message you early next week. I just found out about SEO 2 weeks ago, applied, and heard back really quickly, so I just started freaking out.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Got my first rejection and I feel great lol. Cornell, aint nobody trying to live in Shithaca anyways lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Got my first rejection and I feel great lol. Cornell, aint nobody trying to live in Shithaca anyways lol.

Cornell is really odd this cycle. I got rejected from there too and literally couldn't care less. The worst part about it was finally getting A rejection made me paranoid that I'd get more rejections from places I actually wanted to go. I wasn't even gonna apply to Cornell at first, then I said "Can I really turn down those types of employment opportunities with my stats?" and applied lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:41 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Got my first rejection and I feel great lol. Cornell, aint nobody trying to live in Shithaca anyways lol.

Cornell is really odd this cycle. I got rejected from there too and literally couldn't care less. The worst part about it was finally getting A rejection made me paranoid that I'd get more rejections from places I actually wanted to go. I wasn't even gonna apply to Cornell at first, then I said "Can I really turn down those types of employment opportunities with my stats?" and applied lol

I thought about that when I first got waitlisted at Penn, After I got into USC though, I was fine lol. I emailed the admissions people back because they said we know you must be sad or something along those lines. I was like "Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow, just received Penn and UVA fee waivers.... Really feeling the love this cycle

lnsl123

Bronze

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:23 pm

lnsl123 wrote:

Seriously, Cornell has really gotten on my nerves this cycle.

Yup. Felt the "desperate" vibe when I was looking at UG there and now... fam, we all know you're barely an ivy. Stop repeating that fact over and over and over and...

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:59 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:

Seriously, Cornell has really gotten on my nerves this cycle.

Yup. Felt the "desperate" vibe when I was looking at UG there and now... fam, we all know you're barely an ivy. Stop repeating that fact over and over and over and...

Everyone I know that's familiar with Ithaca told me it's good I got rejected because I would've hated it there, which makes me feel even better lol

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?