URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
brinicolec

Gold

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:if anyone has yet to add their data to the spreadsheet following the Dec LSAT, please add it !

No Dec. score but I forgot about the spreadsheet and hadn't been updating my decisions.
Fixed now :)

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:if anyone has yet to add their data to the spreadsheet following the Dec LSAT, please add it !

No Dec. score but I forgot about the spreadsheet and hadn't been updating my decisions.
Fixed now :)

I updated mine today as well! I was thinking of adding a USC column

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Looks like not that many people applied early or at all lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:12 pm

PrezRand wrote:Looks like not that many people applied early or at all lol

Well, apps are down across the board and for URMs :shock:

jlet0314

New

Postby jlet0314 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Early, as in before Thanksgiving, right?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 pm

jlet0314 wrote:

Early, as in before Thanksgiving, right?

Yes

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 pm

janereacher wrote:
latif wrote:Anybody getting more fee waivers after Dec LSAT? I got Cornell, Georgetown today and a bunch of randoms today, I previously got Chicago and UVA.
Also a theory: if you have certain schools on your LSAC list, then you won't get fee waivers from them? I deleted Columbia and NYU hoping that they would send out fee waivers as a result, any thoughts on this strategy?

I got several today as well... Cornell, Georgetown, Emory, BU, UNC, WUSTL, Duke, U Chicago, UVA (silent), and Northwestern (silent). My LSAT was disappointing so I am hoping this is a sign of desperation that will work in my favor.

Urgh I got the WUSTL, Duke, and GT ones too.

How do you know if you receive silent fee waivers?

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm getting a hint of regret for not applying earlier to Mich and to more T14 schools.

Getting accepted to USC has really boosted my confidence, since I did not think I would get accepted there.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:14 am

Torres1893 wrote:I'm getting a hint of regret for not applying earlier to Mich and to more T14 schools.

Getting accepted to USC has really boosted my confidence, since I did not think I would get accepted there.

Congrats!!! I thought you wanted UH?

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:53 am

PrezRand wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:I'm getting a hint of regret for not applying earlier to Mich and to more T14 schools.

Initially I did. I currently live in Houston and have my immediate family here, so I wanted to go to UHLC. But now I want to leave Houston so I can be "on my own" for a while. Plus, I think some of the other schools I applied to will give me a better shot at my career goals (BigFed).

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 am

Torres1893 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Initially I did. I currently live in Houston and have my immediate family here, so I wanted to go to UHLC. But now I want to leave Houston so I can be "on my own" for a while. Plus, I think some of the other schools I applied to will give me a better shot at my career goals (BigFed).

I wouldn't be so hard on your yourself. I asked a noted admission consultant and she say anything early to mid January is usually fine. I'm assuming you applied earlier.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
janereacher wrote:
latif wrote:Anybody getting more fee waivers after Dec LSAT? I got Cornell, Georgetown today and a bunch of randoms today, I previously got Chicago and UVA.
Also a theory: if you have certain schools on your LSAC list, then you won't get fee waivers from them? I deleted Columbia and NYU hoping that they would send out fee waivers as a result, any thoughts on this strategy?

I got several today as well... Cornell, Georgetown, Emory, BU, UNC, WUSTL, Duke, U Chicago, UVA (silent), and Northwestern (silent). My LSAT was disappointing so I am hoping this is a sign of desperation that will work in my favor.

Go to start the app on lsac.

I think if you go to the Michigan thread I screenshotted how to see if you had one and put it on the OP

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:53 am

brinicolec wrote:
janereacher wrote:

I think if you go to the Michigan thread I screenshotted how to see if you had one and put it on the OP

The image you posted on that thread is down.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 am

brinicolec wrote:
janereacher wrote:

Really? I can still see it... Strange.
Do you see it? lol

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:28 am

brinicolec wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
janereacher wrote:

Really? I can still see it... Strange.

Do you see it? lol

yah, i see it now. Thx

ravenamo

New

Postby ravenamo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:31 pm

I received a fee waiver from UHLC and WUSTL, two schools that are a huge reach for me so I was shocked to get emails from both schools, especially after I received my score for the Dec LSAT. I have never considered living in Houston or Missouri and I don't know much about UHLC and WUSTL or if I will be able to leave those areas if I did end up at one of those schools. I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply though. This is something that I have been thinking about for two days now haha.

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey guys, quick question:
So, I've heard that the T-6's tend to hold URM candidates till the very end, which would mean I wouldn't get decisions from these schools until mid-late April. Does anyone know if this is true [That way I'll stop obsessively checking my email and phone every five seconds and just relax until April]

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 pm

ravenamo wrote:

I received a fee waiver from UHLC and WUSTL, two schools that are a huge reach for me so I was shocked to get emails from both schools, especially after I received my score for the Dec LSAT. I have never considered living in Houston or Missouri and I don't know much about UHLC and WUSTL or if I will be able to leave those areas if I did end up at one of those schools. I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply though. This is something that I have been thinking about for two days now haha.

http://abovethelaw.com/schools/washingt ... rsity-law/

Go to above the law if you want to get more "clarity or truth" behind employment and jobs. In my experience, I've talked to alumni from certain schools and they say its pretty accurate.

WUSTL - I've met two grads, and they both seemed to have a hard time getting jobs (They're both from Arizona). From my perception of things, WUSTL has GREAT professors and teaching, but the OCR doesnt seem to cater to many beyond a certain percentile. Also, lack of a brand name seemz to hurt ( even though they have great stats). WUSTL has a better ranking the ND, but ND has better BigLaw opportunities (I include ND because they're really comparable schools).

Also, what makes you think these schools are reaches for you, particularly Houston? Their LSAT range is from 155 - 161, so I dont think it would be beyond likely to think they are taking some URMs with sub 155 LSATs

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:33 pm

ravenamo wrote:

I could give you some info about UH.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:37 pm

dinan15 wrote:Hey guys, quick question:
So, I've heard that the T-6's tend to hold URM candidates till the very end, which would mean I wouldn't get decisions from these schools until mid-late April. Does anyone know if this is true [That way I'll stop obsessively checking my email and phone every five seconds and just relax until April]

It may be true for some applicants, but not all. Some URMs have already been accepted at multiple schools in the T6, and I imagine that more will be accepted when UChi and Columbia start in on their RD decisions. Sorry to ruin your relaxation!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

It may be true for some applicants, but not all. Some URMs have already been accepted at multiple schools in the T6, and I imagine that more will be accepted when UChi and Columbia start in on their RD decisions. Sorry to ruin your relaxation!

Maybe it's true for URMs that are on the lower end of the stats. Idk. I've been accepted to a T8 already, haven't heard from T6 yet though.

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:40 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Maybe it's true for URMs that are on the lower end of the stats. Idk. I've been accepted to a T8 already, haven't heard from T6 yet though.

Given that my LSAT is on the lower end for the T6s, that'll probably be me... Thanks for the clarification!

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

Ahhh, can't wait for end of April!

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 am

dinan15 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Given that my LSAT is on the lower end for the T6s, that'll probably be me... Thanks for the clarification!

I was accepted to NYU 2 weeks after submission, and Ive already done interviews with U Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard. I didn't have to wait longer than average for any of them, so I'm not sure if that is true. My stats are on the "lower" end for all of those schools.

DriveLikeNashvillian

New

Postby DriveLikeNashvillian » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:18 am

After looking at some of the urm numbers NYU has accepted in this and previous cycles, I'm kinda regretting not applying, even though I really don't have any interest in going, but I'm wondering if an acceptance (in the unlikely event I got in) would be any use in scholarship negotiation since I probably wouldn't get much, if any, money from them. My number one choice is Vanderbilt, but most people say they don't negotiate scholarships, so would I really just be wasting 30 bucks applying to NYU at this point in the cycle?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?