URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ood

New

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby ood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:42 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
I applied mid-October. Because my stats weren't amazing, I made sure everything else in my app was top notch--essays and recs. I also had 4+ years WE too

That's awesome man, I can only imagine how hard you must have worked to get in with those numbers. Did you get an $$ or do they have a LRAP

ood

New

Postby ood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:43 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
I applied mid-October. Because my stats weren't amazing, I made sure everything else in my app was top notch--essays and recs. I also had 4+ years WE too

That's awesome man, I can only imagine how hard you must have worked to get in with those numbers. Did you get an $$ or do they have a LRAP

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:52 pm

ood wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Yeah, it definitely feels like a weight off my shoulders, since I thought I had zero chance. They have LRAP, but I applied for some of their name scholarships. I find out in March if I'm selected for an interview. Advice for all URMs, make sure your app is impeccable. I brainstormed what narrative I wanted to convey and made sure every aspect of my app supported that.

ood

New

Postby ood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:08 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
ood wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Yeah, it definitely feels like a weight off my shoulders, since I thought I had zero chance. They have LRAP, but I applied for some of their name scholarships. I find out in March if I'm selected for an interview. Advice for all URMs, make sure your app is impeccable. I brainstormed what narrative I wanted to convey and made sure every aspect of my app supported that.

How so? I have a very good PS, but are you referring to the actual application or the supplementary essays? I'm about to submit tonight.

PoopNpants

Silver

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:20 pm

So my labtop shitted the bed last week, harddrive is RIP and lost my personal/diversity drafts. Not too much of a big deal for the diversity statement, it was pretty much about being both black/muslim in America and how it was growing up in a predominately white area and attending catholic school for example. Gotta start from scratch on my PS though which was pretty weak to begin with. I was expressing an interest in civil rights law

ood

New

Postby ood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm

PoopNpants wrote:So my labtop shitted the bed last week, harddrive is RIP and lost my personal/diversity drafts. Not too much of a big deal for the diversity statement, it was pretty much about being both black/muslim in America and how it was growing up in a predominately white area and attending catholic school for example. Gotta start from scratch on my PS though which was pretty weak to begin with. I was expressing an interest in civil rights law

Get that google drive desktop app. Ta

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:24 pm

ood wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
ood wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

How so? I have a very good PS, but are you referring to the actual application or the supplementary essays? I'm about to submit tonight.

PM/d you

PoopNpants

Silver

Postby PoopNpants » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:30 pm

ood wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:So my labtop shitted the bed last week, harddrive is RIP and lost my personal/diversity drafts. Not too much of a big deal for the diversity statement, it was pretty much about being both black/muslim in America and how it was growing up in a predominately white area and attending catholic school for example. Gotta start from scratch on my PS though which was pretty weak to begin with. I was expressing an interest in civil rights law

Get that google drive desktop app. Ta

Yeah I learned the hard way unfortunately. I'm like the least technologically savvy 25 year old in america but I got a macbook now. was planning on buying one soon anyway so its not the end of the world

youngwarrior

New

Postby youngwarrior » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:46 pm

In at NYU, interview requests from CLS and HLS !

ood

New

Postby ood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

youngwarrior wrote:In at NYU, interview requests from CLS and HLS !

With you stats I'm sure you'll get into HYS.

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Anyone know of certain top schools that are known to give URMs big $$$?

youngwarrior

New

Postby youngwarrior » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm

ood wrote:With you stats I'm sure you'll get into HYS.

Thanks for the encouragement man, I'd certainly be super grateful if my cycle turns out that way. Good luck with your applications! :)

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 am

Anyone else get Columbia interview request today?

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:00 pm

AJ1010 wrote:Anyone else get Columbia interview request today?

Yah I got it today. I scheduled HLS and Columbia back to back for next week Tuesday which was probably a terrible idea

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Had my Columbia and Chicago interview this past week, both went great but were different.

Columbia was very open and it felt less like an interview and more like a conversation. Typical questions like why Columbia, why law school, questions about my personal statement, be prepared with questions, because they gave me a ton of time for questions.

Chicago was different and seemed more 'serious,' I thought it was strange but the interviewer said they don't read PS before they interview and she just asked me questions off my resume. Same questions as above, I didn't get any of the curveball questions like some people in the 2020 applicant thread are saying they're getting (election question, who would you like to meet dead or alive, or what book changed your worldview).

I think both interviews went well, I still haven't received a JS1 from Harvard :( I feel like my chances are slim now.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:50 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Had my Columbia and Chicago interview this past week, both went great but were different.

Columbia was very open and it felt less like an interview and more like a conversation. Typical questions like why Columbia, why law school, questions about my personal statement, be prepared with questions, because they gave me a ton of time for questions.

Chicago was different and seemed more 'serious,' I thought it was strange but the interviewer said they don't read PS before they interview and she just asked me questions off my resume. Same questions as above, I didn't get any of the curveball questions like some people in the 2020 applicant thread are saying they're getting (election question, who would you like to meet dead or alive, or what book changed your worldview).

I think both interviews went well, I still haven't received a JS1 from Harvard :( I feel like my chances are slim now.

Thanks for the info! I have my columbia interview next week. There's still a lot of time for JS1. The Harvard thread shows people getting invites into March--youre fine!

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:52 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Had my Columbia and Chicago interview this past week, both went great but were different.

Interesting what you said about Chicago and the PS. My interviewer's questions immediately came from my PS, in fact the topic of my PS was what we primarily talked about for the first half of the interview

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 pm

xnsch wrote:

Interesting what you said about Chicago and the PS. My interviewer's questions immediately came from my PS, in fact the topic of my PS was what we primarily talked about for the first half of the interview

I thought it was strange as well. :( my PS ties my application together. I was asked no questions from my PS, all questions about my resume.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Just submitted the bulk of my apps yesterday. Man, compared to you guys I feel slow! I still have to crank out a scholarship essay, and think about whether I really want to apply to a couple of schools. I won't hear anything for a while anyway because one of my professors is moving slow on my rec T.T.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm

In at Berkley via phone call this morning!!!

ood

New

Postby ood » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm

beantheshadow wrote:In at Berkley via phone call this morning!!!

Congratulations !!! you have a lsn?

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:34 pm

ood wrote:

Congratulations !!! you have a lsn?

Naw, I try to stay under the radar. Lol But PM if you want any details! Lol

USayinBoalt

Gold

Postby USayinBoalt » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Congrats!

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

crookedsmile wrote:Checking in - realizing how little activity there is in the URM Forum makes me realize how few URM students apply to top schools :roll: .

Dang, I never thought about it like that. I know i'm trying to study hard for the LSAT because my gpa will probably be a 3.45. Even with that gpa, I don't think I have a shot at a top 20. Most people that post on here regularly have amazing numbers.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:20 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:Checking in - realizing how little activity there is in the URM Forum makes me realize how few URM students apply to top schools :roll: .

Dang, I never thought about it like that. I know i'm trying to study hard for the LSAT because my gpa will probably be a 3.45. Even with that gpa, I don't think I have a shot at a top 20. Most people that post on here regularly have amazing numbers.

I wouldn't let people's posts deter you. A 3.45 can most certainly get you into some most T14s with the right LSAT. Just keep studying and get that LSAT as high as you can.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?