URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lilitiger99

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

AJ1010 wrote:
OnlyHumean wrote:Hey everyone!

Just got the email this morning that I got into Yale. I can't believe it. I'm so glad they didn't send it on the first, I would have been certain it was a joke.

I don't know what else to say, I'm still a bit stunned.

Hey, Congrats!!! could you PM your stats and submit/complete dates? I'm just curious/nervous because I'm still waiting to hear back.

+1. Congrats that's incredible.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

chasima wrote:Welp, I got Fordham to bump up my scholarship to $135K, so I will probably be depositing there within the next couple days. Pretty much over for me, I think, so congrats to everyone on your amazing cycles and thanks for being a source of anxiety/anticipation relief over the past few months :) Good luck!!

PM me please! I have close, close ties to Fordham and would consider them over my t14 acceptances if they raise my scholly!! Haven't asked them to negotiate yet

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

OnlyHumean wrote:Hey everyone!

Just got the email this morning that I got into Yale. I can't believe it. I'm so glad they didn't send it on the first, I would have been certain it was a joke.

I don't know what else to say, I'm still a bit stunned.

Wow even better news than last week! Congratulations! I"m so happy for you.
Make us proud!

Wowza23

New

Postby Wowza23 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey y'all! Have been following this post for a while-congratulations to those who have been accepted somewhere and good luck to everyone still waiting! Sending positive vibes!

I posted the below in a previous thread but it didn't receive much traction...hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks!!

I (foolishly) ED'd to a lower T-14 school very late in the process (like last day late, due to the Feb LSAT). Got an offer and now I'm kind of wondering what other schools I might have a chance at.

I'm a bit scared to rescind the offer since I would be applying next cycle to the same school (without ED-ing), in the hopes that I would get some money. I haven't gotten any $ yet, but I also have not tried bargaining, although I assume it's pretty hard to bargain when you don't have any other school to gamble with.

Does anyone have experience with this-specifically applying to the same school after getting an offer the first time? Is there a significant chance that I could get rejected from the school next cycle since they already accepted me? I'm more worried that they would read into my decision to not ED the second time around. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Wowza23 wrote:Hey y'all! Have been following this post for a while-congratulations to those who have been accepted somewhere and good luck to everyone still waiting! Sending positive vibes!

I posted the below in a previous thread but it didn't receive much traction...hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks!!

I (foolishly) ED'd to a lower T-14 school very late in the process (like last day late, due to the Feb LSAT). Got an offer and now I'm kind of wondering what other schools I might have a chance at.

I'm a bit scared to rescind the offer since I would be applying next cycle to the same school (without ED-ing), in the hopes that I would get some money. I haven't gotten any $ yet, but I also have not tried bargaining, although I assume it's pretty hard to bargain when you don't have any other school to gamble with.

Does anyone have experience with this-specifically applying to the same school after getting an offer the first time? Is there a significant chance that I could get rejected from the school next cycle since they already accepted me? I'm more worried that they would read into my decision to not ED the second time around. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

So you only applied to 1 school and now you're unsure if you're going to get scholarship money? I mean, you could try bargaining (e.g. look at my previous loans/financial situation/look at my grades, LSAT, etc./why I love this school). Maybe deferring is an option? Or writing a, "Sorry, I cannot afford the investment of law school right now but I hope to reapply in the future."

This is a pretty specific case so the chances of finding someone with a similar situation might be slim. I don't think trying again and reapplying is going to ruin your chances of getting in again but I'm not admissions soo..

Wowza23

New

Postby Wowza23 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you. Hopefully this will work out.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm

renc56 wrote:
Wowza23 wrote:Hey y'all! Have been following this post for a while-congratulations to those who have been accepted somewhere and good luck to everyone still waiting! Sending positive vibes!

Thanks!

So you only applied to 1 school and now you're unsure if you're going to get scholarship money? I mean, you could try bargaining (e.g. look at my previous loans/financial situation/look at my grades, LSAT, etc./why I love this school). Maybe deferring is an option? Or writing a, "Sorry, I cannot afford the investment of law school right now but I hope to reapply in the future."

This is a pretty specific case so the chances of finding someone with a similar situation might be slim. I don't think trying again and reapplying is going to ruin your chances of getting in again but I'm not admissions soo..

My friend (also URM) applied to Chicago one year, got in, applied again and got waitlisted. I Would say it depends on your case, and If you follow up with a good addendum explaining your interest. Since ED is a binding commitment, that might change things.

us3rnam3

Bronze

Postby us3rnam3 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks!

I was in a similar situation to you last year. But I deferred. I wish I would of retaken the lsat and reapplied. But I don't know what would have happened if I did. If you think you can do better and want to try I would suggest reapplying but thats just my .02.

Edit: First try scholarship negotiations, then if/when that doesn't work say you prematurely committed and after a close assement of your financial situation you won't be able to attend blah blah blah.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Wow guys can I just say like go us for even being here. Like it sort of hit me today like damn I'm living the immigrant dream, I'm living the very reason why my abuelitos brought my dad to the US when he was a kid. I'm so damn proud to know that I'm gonna be an abogada and I could hear that same pride in my abuelita's voice when I told her I got into Harvard. Go us for having the balls to live out the dreams our families had and continue to have for us. I, for one, am so goddamn proud of you.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:42 pm

notorious_mig wrote:Wow guys can I just say like go us for even being here...

very true. it can be really hard to recognize the success when you get swamped down in the admissions frenzy but its also really important to recognize the big picture

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:43 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

very true. it can be really hard to recognize the success when you get swamped down in the admissions frenzy but its also really important to recognize the big picture

+1

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm

In at NU, WL'd at Mich

Still like 3-4 schools to go. Goddamn this is the most excited I've been since Ghana played Uruguay in 2010 :D :D

What2donow1

New

Postby What2donow1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:In at NU, WL'd at Mich

Still like 3-4 schools to go. Goddamn this is the most excited I've been since Ghana played Uruguay in 2010 :D :D

Congrats man! Is that your first T13??
Also, how late did you apply? I applied in Jan and got dinged early last month?? I'm just curious

Also- are you not considering just applying early next cycle?? It seems like applying late might have hurt you

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

+1

Agreed. Also, people are getting into Yale and shit like... YES REPRESENTATION! Lol

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

What2donow1 wrote:
Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:In at NU, WL'd at Mich

Congrats man! Is that your first T13??
Also, how late did you apply? I applied in Jan and got dinged early last month?? I'm just curious

Also- are you not considering just applying early next cycle?? It seems like applying late might have hurt you

I applied in early Feb.

Umm at this point - nah. I'm resigned to taking loans out as it is. I don't have any undergrad debt, and barring two serious family emergency - my GPA would have been much higher - and it seems that got through. Also - waiting inmycase seems odd - As suggested by the data within this forum I got into the schools that I suppose "would" take me - so me gunning for the top half of T14/13 would take an increased LSAT anyway. I know i can do better on the exam that's not the question - but i have people in my life that I am supported/or supported in the past and time is of the essence. To take another year out when I've got momentum now seems counter-intuitive.

Jnwa's cycle last year is really the best i could hope for - he got a 173 w/ my GPA and Mich gave him a ton of money - but I'm lucky in the sense that I always interviewed well and I've had some really prestigious jobs past and present - and before i transferred to the LAC where i graduated at i was used to having to be proactive in looking for internships, networking, as I did banking/consulting internships. So if i end up in the dumps- i can only blame myself. And i can handle that.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

brinicolec wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

+1

Agreed. Also, people are getting into Yale and shit like... YES REPRESENTATION! Lol

+1,000,000

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 am

notorious_mig wrote:Wow guys can I just say like go us for even being here. Like it sort of hit me today like damn I'm living the immigrant dream, I'm living the very reason why my abuelitos brought my dad to the US when he was a kid. I'm so damn proud to know that I'm gonna be an abogada and I could hear that same pride in my abuelita's voice when I told her I got into Harvard. Go us for having the balls to live out the dreams our families had and continue to have for us. I, for one, am so goddamn proud of you.

Right with you on that one. My father is so proud that I am going to law school. He and my mother immigrated from Nigeria when they were young and had us with the hope of making something great outta ourselves. He gave us the guidance to do well. Instilled his love for school into us. Told us that we could achieve anything.

The same with my mom. She has been calling me Attorney General since high school lol.
Last edited by Mr_Chukes on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:11 am

When are we doing the URM 2017-18 thread?

I'm one of those who initially was on this thread last summer but LSAT made me wait another year lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:44 am

lgsb2014 wrote:When are we doing the URM 2017-18 thread?

I'm one of those who initially was on this thread last summer but LSAT made me wait another year lol

I'd assume not until June at the earliest, although closer to August would make more sense.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Wow guys can I just say like go us for even being here. Like it sort of hit me today like damn I'm living the immigrant dream, I'm living the very reason why my abuelitos brought my dad to the US when he was a kid. I'm so damn proud to know that I'm gonna be an abogada and I could hear that same pride in my abuelita's voice when I told her I got into Harvard. Go us for having the balls to live out the dreams our families had and continue to have for us. I, for one, am so goddamn proud of you.

Right with you on that one. My father is so proud that I am going to law school. He and my mother immigrated from Nigerian when they were young and had us with the hope of making something great outta ourselves. He gave us the guidance to do well. Instilled his love for school into us. Told us that we could achieve anything.

The same with my mom. She has been calling me Attorney General since high school lol.

YES I love that!!! You go, Mr. Chukes, way to make your family proud.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:47 am

^ it's been very easy to lose perspective on this whole process until we look back at our parents' sacrifices.

Un-funny funny thing: I was set on academia until I had a reason to need an attorney. One of the worst things to happen to me ended up (hopefully) leading to what will probably be the best thing that happens for me.

suitsandpotions

New

Postby suitsandpotions » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:53 am

Any URMs that took the Feb LSAT still waiting on UPenn, UChi, NU, UCLA, and UMichigan?

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 am

suitsandpotions wrote:Any URMs that took the Feb LSAT still waiting on UPenn, UChi, NU, UCLA, and UMichigan?

Feb LSAT, waiting on Penn, Chi and Mich. In at UCLA.

suitsandpotions

New

Postby suitsandpotions » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:28 pm

TripleM wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:Any URMs that took the Feb LSAT still waiting on UPenn, UChi, NU, UCLA, and UMichigan?

Feb LSAT, waiting on Penn, Chi and Mich. In at UCLA.

When did you submit at UCLA?

texcellence

Bronze

Postby texcellence » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm

renc56 wrote:^ it's been very easy to lose perspective on this whole process until we look back at our parents' sacrifices.

Un-funny funny thing: I was set on academia until I had a reason to need an attorney. One of the worst things to happen to me ended up (hopefully) leading to what will probably be the best thing that happens for me.

same <3

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?