URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
beantheshadow

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby beantheshadow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm

After 6 months of silence from Harvard.... I was rejected right now! :(

Hurts a lot more than I thought it would.

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 pm

beantheshadow wrote:After 6 months of silence from Harvard.... I was rejected right now! :(

Same same. *hugs*

Honestly I think my mom is more upset about this than I am and that's....normal.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:After 6 months of silence from Harvard.... I was rejected right now! :(

Same same. *hugs*

Honestly I think my mom is more upset about this than I am and that's....normal.

*cries uncontrollably into your shoulder*

damn now you reminded me, I haven't even told my mom yet, she'll probably want to write or call Harvard admissions and yell at them! lol

Funny story in 4th grade, I was a finalist for our grade's spelling bee. So it came down to the final two, and it was my turn, so they wanted me to spell "right," but stupid me didn't ask for a definition and I spelt "write," boom, final person got her word correct and I lost.

Well my mom was super mad, and she said she felt I was cheated (even though she didn't even show up the spelling bee cuz she worked and I explained to her the rules). So she requested a meeting with my teacher who happened to be the host of the spelling bee, it was the most embarrassing 15 minutes of my life. I waited outside the classroom as I heard my mom argue with my teacher (who was one of my favorites btw lol) the teacher was being so polite and my mom was on some Trump this-is-rigged-ish lol

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

Same same. *hugs*

damn now you reminded me, I haven't even told my mom yet, she'll probably want to write or call Harvard admissions and yell at them! lol

Funny story in 4th grade, I was a finalist for our grade's spelling bee. So it came down to the final two, and it was my turn, so they wanted me to spell "right," but stupid me didn't ask for a definition and I spelt "write," boom, final person got her word correct and I lost.

Well my mom was super mad, and she said she felt I was cheated (even though she didn't even show up the spelling bee cuz she worked and I explained to her the rules). So she requested a meeting with my teacher who happened to be the host of the spelling bee, it was the most embarrassing 15 minutes of my life. I waited outside the classroom as I heard my mom argue with my teacher (who was one of my favorites btw lol) the teacher was being so polite and my mom was on some Trump this-is-rigged-ish lol

Bahaha. Our moms would've been friends in elementary school. 'Cept mine barely speaks English.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm

TripleM wrote:Colorado. High mountain air, cooler than the desert southewest, plenty of state parks plus Rocky Mountain National Park. I've got a few extra tents, probably enough to sleep 10 total, and could get enough bags/tents for everyone. All everyone would need would be a few shared rental cars.

Just saying.

Colorado's do-able for me and in this hypothetical scenario in which I don't get SEO (likely) and my job doesn't get better (likely) - I'd be unemployed af in July.

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

Same same. *hugs*

*hugs more* there there. It'll be okay. Harvard is overrated anyway.

I buffered the bad news with good news and she's okay-ish. Threatened to send HLS a screamer. Bless her soul.

Omg this is kinda crazy but same! Except it was my dad and the word was recipe and the girl offered me her trophy because I was reigning champion for years.

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

renc56 wrote:
TripleM wrote:Colorado. High mountain air, cooler than the desert southewest, plenty of state parks plus Rocky Mountain National Park. I've got a few extra tents, probably enough to sleep 10 total, and could get enough bags/tents for everyone. All everyone would need would be a few shared rental cars.

Just saying.

Colorado's do-able for me and in this hypothetical scenario in which I don't get SEO (likely) and my job doesn't get better (likely) - I'd be unemployed af in July.

*funemployed is the term I'd like to use. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Just saying.

I might be a probation officer for two months lol

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Just saying.

Woah, what?

I mean, selling history college textbooks on Amazon that I've held onto for years are definitely going to sell, right?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:26 am

lula43 wrote:
Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:I dont want to speak prematurely - but I think i have good news :) :) :)

I tried the ASW trick at GT and it worked for me. But the loging info isnt working. On this site it says that this isnt uncommon, the info may not be activated yet.

I'm really almost hyperventilating so yeah, yeah...

You're in, congrats! My login didn't work until several days later, after I received my letter via snail mail.

Just started working today.

Wow - Now i'm even more excited for the rest of my apps.

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Just saying.

That's sounds like a horrible time. Don't do that.

FYI, folks, I'm serious about Colorado.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:51 pm

TripleM wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Just saying.

They get paid 24 an hour. Big increase from my current work lol.

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
TripleM wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Just saying.

They get paid 24 an hour. Big increase from my current work lol.

I had a teacher once who, before becoming a teacher, had gotten fired from the local co-op grocery store. He was assigned to cook a meal for the monthly staff meeting-- decided to go with a few thousand dollars in lobster. You could go for something like that... basically try to be the worst probation officer ever. Let everything go, short of violent crime. Be the probation officer that everyone wants. You know, like the teacher who never teaches you anything but everyone likes. If you do it, be that guy.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am

~Don't quote~

would mentioning diversity in a scholarship reconsideration be too much?

Mjvance2

New

Postby Mjvance2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:35 am

[quote="Torres1893"]~Don't quote~

Nah, it's not too much as long as that's not the only thing you're mentioning. I mentioned my perspective and experience as an older URM would enhance diversity in my reconsideration letter.

I certainly don't think it would hurt anything.
Last edited by Mjvance2 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:~Don't quote~

would mentioning diversity in a scholarship reconsideration be too much?

Nah, it's not too much as long as that's not the only thing you're mentioning. I mentioned my perspective and experience as an older URM would enhance diversity in my reconsideration letter.

I would say something like "As a Mexican-American [or whatever you are] XYZ School's commitment to diversity and inclusion is a big factor to me." Something like that with more nuance.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by poptart123 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Mjvance2 wrote:

I would say something like "As a Mexican-American [or whatever you are] XYZ School's commitment to diversity and conclusion is a big factor to me." Something like that with more nuance.

I put something like, "As a minority, I was really impressed by the close-knit black community, something that I had been looking for in schools."

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 am

brinicolec wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Mjvance2 wrote:

I would say something like "As a Mexican-American [or whatever you are] XYZ School's commitment to diversity and conclusion is a big factor to me." Something like that with more nuance.

I put something like, "As a minority, I was really impressed by the close-knit black community, something that I had been looking for in schools."

Michigan?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:34 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Mjvance2 wrote:

Michigan?

Mayyyybe lol

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am

Hey everyone!

Just got the email this morning that I got into Yale. I can't believe it. I'm so glad they didn't send it on the first, I would have been certain it was a joke.

I don't know what else to say, I'm still a bit stunned.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am

OnlyHumean wrote:Hey everyone!

Just got the email this morning that I got into Yale. I can't believe it. I'm so glad they didn't send it on the first, I would have been certain it was a joke.

That's incredible. Congratulations!!

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 am

Hey, Congrats!!! could you PM your stats and submit/complete dates? I'm just curious/nervous because I'm still waiting to hear back.

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Congratulations!! That's amazing!!

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Welp, I got Fordham to bump up my scholarship to $135K, so I will probably be depositing there within the next couple days. Pretty much over for me, I think, so congrats to everyone on your amazing cycles and thanks for being a source of anxiety/anticipation relief over the past few months :) Good luck!!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

AJ1010 wrote:

Hey, Congrats!!! could you PM your stats and submit/complete dates? I'm just curious/nervous because I'm still waiting to hear back.

+1. Congrats that's incredible.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?