URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
renc56

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 pm

How are you all staying motivated at work (or school) when your plans are almost set/want to get out?

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 pm

TripleM wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:Hey guysssss!
Tardy to the party (just like my applications), my bad!

I won't bore y'all with my WL/dings, but I am in at Northwestern! And waiting to hear back from the majority of schools I applied to sooooo I'm sitting in limbo.

Really happy to see this cycle is going well for a lot of us, congratulations to everyone in at their dream school! *hugs for everyone!*

That's awesome! Congrats. I fell in love with NW when I went out for the interview. When did you apply? When did you hear?

Thank you! Super excited to visit, I really enjoyed both of my interviews (one with BSI, the other was online). Nothing but very positive reviews from the people I've spoken to as well. I applied 2/14, heard back 3/17 :D

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 pm

renc56 wrote:How are you all staying motivated at work (or school) when your plans are almost set/want to get out?

Admittedly not staying motivated at all. My days are filled with obsessively checking my trackers, spinning in my chair, and laughing at the absurdity of requests in my email. I've been checked out since they day I decided my departure.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
renc56 wrote:How are you all staying motivated at work (or school) when your plans are almost set/want to get out?

Admittedly not staying motivated at all. My days are filled with obsessively checking my trackers, spinning in my chair, and laughing at the absurdity of requests in my email. I've been checked out since they day I decided my departure.

I'm addicted to podcasts and refreshing my e-mail. Also trying to find more work at work.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Hobbesy wrote:Hey guysssss!
Tardy to the party (just like my applications), my bad!

I won't bore y'all with my WL/dings, but I am in at Northwestern! And waiting to hear back from the majority of schools I applied to sooooo I'm sitting in limbo.

Really happy to see this cycle is going well for a lot of us, congratulations to everyone in at their dream school! *hugs for everyone!*

Congratulations! hopefully more good things to come. Yeah this has been a good year for alot of us URMs.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 pm

renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

I'm addicted to podcasts and refreshing my e-mail. Also trying to find more work at work.

Just idly working and talking to regulars who keep asking me about law school. My a lot of my friends parents shop at my store. Even some who I barely talked to in high school who are super fans of me now. One of my friend's mom gave me a hug yesterday and told me she was proud of me lol. I might be getting another job though. It'll be funny to work there for like three months and then ship off to law school lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

Just idly working and talking to regulars who keep asking me about law school. My a lot of my friends parents shop at my store. Even some who I barely talked to in high school who are super fans of me now. One of my friend's mom gave me a hug yesterday and told me she was proud of me lol. I might be getting another job though. It'll be funny to work there for like three months and then ship off to law school lol.

I wanna quit my job so bad lol.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:32 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

I'm counting on SEO as a way out, even if the odds aren't in my favor. Other than that, I've been told that I could quit my job and travel somewhere that still allows me to save for law school so idk guess I'll travel to national parks or something lol.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

I'm counting on SEO as a way out, even if the odds aren't in my favor. Other than that, I've been told that I could quit my job and travel somewhere that still allows me to save for law school so idk guess I'll travel to national parks or something lol.

Holy shit that doesn't sound bad. A month camping in a national park before LS would be an amazing getaway. Never even thought of this.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 am

poptart123 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

Holy shit that doesn't sound bad. A month camping in a national park before LS would be an amazing getaway. Never even thought of this.

...well, there goes any motivation I had to work when I know I could quit in like a month or so and visit a bunch of national parks instead lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:50 am

brinicolec wrote:

I wish I could and I want to so bad. I try not to count down the days lol. People are always asking me about it though.

texcellence

Bronze

Postby texcellence » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am

renc56 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:Just idly working and talking to regulars who keep asking me about law school. My a lot of my friends parents shop at my store. Even some who I barely talked to in high school who are super fans of me now. One of my friend's mom gave me a hug yesterday and told me she was proud of me lol. I might be getting another job though. It'll be funny to work there for like three months and then ship off to law school lol.

...well, there goes any motivation I had to work when I know I could quit in like a month or so and visit a bunch of national parks instead lol

I went to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons last summer and it blew my mind. Highly recommend.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 am

texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:Just idly working and talking to regulars who keep asking me about law school. My a lot of my friends parents shop at my store. Even some who I barely talked to in high school who are super fans of me now. One of my friend's mom gave me a hug yesterday and told me she was proud of me lol. I might be getting another job though. It'll be funny to work there for like three months and then ship off to law school lol.

I went to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons last summer and it blew my mind. Highly recommend.

I need to go. I've never been to a natural park lol.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 am

Mr_Chukes wrote: I need to go. I've never been to a natural park lol.

What?! It's relaxing.

During the summer in the southwest = not exactly sure. But hey, doing research.

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:36 am

renc56 wrote:

What?! It's relaxing.

Don't think i've been to one either. TLS URM Thread Camping Meetup?! I make really good cookies and I also have extra blankets! Summer picnic?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

chasima wrote:
renc56 wrote:

What?! It's relaxing.

Don't think i've been to one either. TLS URM Thread Camping Meetup?! I make really good cookies and I also have extra blankets! Summer picnic?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grand Canyon meet-up? we'll likely be the only POC visiting :lol:

rwajo12

New

Postby rwajo12 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

Is reserve at Columbia a waitlist or a hold?

Hobbesy

Bronze

Postby Hobbesy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Hobbesy wrote:

Hello it's me. I'm quitting and traveling all summer. Super excited. But I was in an "idgaf" mood when booking my ticket and got my return flight for 2/3 days before orientation starts. Moving is gonna be so much fun :lol:

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

I'll have you all know that I've actually spent the past 3ish hours at work planning my vacation :lol:

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm

rwajo12 wrote:Is reserve at Columbia a waitlist or a hold?

A WL. I'm sorry you didnt get a response sooner.

rwajo12

New

Postby rwajo12 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Is reserve at Columbia a waitlist or a hold?

A WL. I'm sorry you didnt get a response sooner.

Its all good. thank you! seems like its Waitlist season for everyone

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I dont want to speak prematurely - but I think i have good news :) :) :)

I tried the ASW trick at GT and it worked for me. But the loging info isnt working. On this site it says that this isnt uncommon, the info may not be activated yet.

I'm really almost hyperventilating so yeah, yeah...

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:I dont want to speak prematurely - but I think i have good news :) :) :)

I tried the ASW trick at GT and it worked for me. But the loging info isnt working. On this site it says that this isnt uncommon, the info may not be activated yet.

You're in, congrats! My login didn't work until several days later, after I received my letter via snail mail.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

lula43 wrote:
Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:I dont want to speak prematurely - but I think i have good news :) :) :)

You're in, congrats! My login didn't work until several days later, after I received my letter via snail mail.

WOW - i fel like crying!!1 When i get the snail mail ( please let this not be an April Fools Joke) i think i'll just die.

TripleM

Bronze

Postby TripleM » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Colorado. High mountain air, cooler than the desert southewest, plenty of state parks plus Rocky Mountain National Park. I've got a few extra tents, probably enough to sleep 10 total, and could get enough bags/tents for everyone. All everyone would need would be a few shared rental cars.

Just saying.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?