URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
texcellence

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby texcellence » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:16 pm

.
Last edited by texcellence on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooley1ster

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby cooley1ster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:34 pm

cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:35 pm

poptart123 wrote:
cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.


+1

Also, what you want to study/do you have any connections in those areas/how much will moving be a hassle/weather and whatever else is relevant to your values.

dyebri

Bronze
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dyebri » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Should we post how our cycle turned out

What type of urm:
Lsat:
Gpa:
Date submitted
Schools accepted:

User avatar
lula43

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lula43 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:51 pm

dyebri wrote:Should we post how our cycle turned out

What type of urm:
Lsat:
Gpa:
Date submitted
Schools accepted:


Peep viewtopic.php?f=14&t=275052 :)

dyebri

Bronze
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dyebri » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:37 pm

lula43 wrote:
dyebri wrote:Should we post how our cycle turned out

What type of urm:
Lsat:
Gpa:
Date submitted
Schools accepted:


Peep viewtopic.php?f=14&t=275052 :)



Lol sorry didn't even realize. Thank you!

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:53 pm

renc56 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.


+1

Also, what you want to study/do you have any connections in those areas/how much will moving be a hassle/weather and whatever else is relevant to your values.


Definitely think what you want to practice is important too.

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm

poptart123 wrote:
cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.


No, the first thing you NEED to do without question is look at ABA employment statistics. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Wash U sends 198/221 to firms. I'm not sure about Boulder or Virginia, but I'm sure that their numbers are a bit lower. Then think about region, cost, etc. I would say without question go to Wash U. I got in as well, and was considering it strongly at one point because their employment numbers are pretty good, they place out of state relatively well, and Missouri is a state where you can sit for all the state bar exams. Plus, Wash U. alum have a lottt of money, so they have a good network.

But those things really only matter if you want a top firm job. If you want biglaw, and go to wash u, and graduate around or at the median, you're good. Colorado and West Virignia are much less likely to give you that.

I would say Wash U is substantially less regional than a west Virginia is. And Colorado fits in between that.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.


No, the first thing you NEED to do without question is look at ABA employment statistics. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Wash U sends 198/221 to firms. I'm not sure about Boulder or Virginia, but I'm sure that their numbers are a bit lower. Then think about region, cost, etc. I would say without question go to Wash U. I got in as well, and was considering it strongly at one point because their employment numbers are pretty good, they place out of state relatively well, and Missouri is a state where you can sit for all the state bar exams. Plus, Wash U. alum have a lottt of money, so they have a good network.

But those things really only matter if you want a top firm job. If you want biglaw, and go to wash u, and graduate around or at the median, you're good. Colorado and West Virignia are much less likely to give you that.

I would say Wash U is substantially less regional than a west Virginia is. And Colorado fits in between that.


Obviously think about both, OP. But don't go to Wash U. if you are from Georgia and want to work in Cali. Utilize both in your decision. I think my comment was taken too literally.

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 pm

poptart123 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


The first thing you should think about is where you want to work. Those schools are all very regional.


No, the first thing you NEED to do without question is look at ABA employment statistics. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Wash U sends 198/221 to firms. I'm not sure about Boulder or Virginia, but I'm sure that their numbers are a bit lower. Then think about region, cost, etc. I would say without question go to Wash U. I got in as well, and was considering it strongly at one point because their employment numbers are pretty good, they place out of state relatively well, and Missouri is a state where you can sit for all the state bar exams. Plus, Wash U. alum have a lottt of money, so they have a good network.

But those things really only matter if you want a top firm job. If you want biglaw, and go to wash u, and graduate around or at the median, you're good. Colorado and West Virignia are much less likely to give you that.

I would say Wash U is substantially less regional than a west Virginia is. And Colorado fits in between that.


Obviously think about both, OP. But don't go to Wash U. if you are from Georgia and want to work in Cali. Utilize both in your decision. I think my comment was taken too literally.


Wash U is a substantially better choice than a T2 school, and slightly better than Colorado for national placement & definitely for big law placement. 120k at Wash U isn't a bad deal, particularly when it comes with the network, rich alum, and connections it does. Plus the prestige is a bit higher if that matters to the OP, regardless of the fact that WUSTL isn't recognized by laymen...

And I say that as someone who thinks WUSTL is bougie af, and not a good fit for me personally. But the employment stats don't lie. Even if you think you want to practice in a region, that may good and well change, and the only degree that MIGHT bring you outside of it's immediate area is WUSTL. WVA won't do that, and I'm not sure if Colorado can.

And sorry if that was harsh - that wasn't me pressing your comment, first thing, just super passionate about employment stats and rankings when they do matter, especially when I know URM students who have unfortunately made poor choices re: graduate school and currently aren't using their degrees.

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lilitiger99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Has anyone else experienced a lot of variety in their decisions?

I know URM cycles are unpredictable, but I feel like my cycle is so strange.

(Rejected by UVA and Penn, waitlisted at Emory (wtf), in at Cornell, Berkeley, and Michigan. Preferred waitlist at Georgetown, regular waitlist at Chicago, held at Northwestern, in at t20s with scholarships, and haven't heard anything from HYS, NYU, etc.)

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 am

USC actually has diversity guys. I wasn't the only black person. There was a girl in my group and a guy from Duke lol. Really loved the campus. Went to admitted students tour today. Gonna head back on the 13th for the diversity reception, BLSA banquet, and law day on the 14th.

Oh also they have certain unicorn law firm first year internships for diverse students. They said most people do clerkships first year but some of the diverse students end up at law firms because of the opportunities.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:USC actually has diversity guys. I wasn't the only black person. There was a girl in my group and a guy from Duke lol. Really loved the campus. Went to admitted students tour today. Gonna head back on the 13th for the diversity reception, BLSA banquet, and law day on the 14th.

Oh also they have certain unicorn law firm first year internships for diverse students. They said most people do clerkships first year but some of the diverse students end up at law firms because of the opportunities.


That sounds amazing! and yay not being the only black person in a room lol

I got accepted into a school and they added people who were accepted onto a Class of 2020 Facebook page and there's only 10 AA including me..hoping that's not completely representative.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am

renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:USC actually has diversity guys. I wasn't the only black person. There was a girl in my group and a guy from Duke lol. Really loved the campus. Went to admitted students tour today. Gonna head back on the 13th for the diversity reception, BLSA banquet, and law day on the 14th.

Oh also they have certain unicorn law firm first year internships for diverse students. They said most people do clerkships first year but some of the diverse students end up at law firms because of the opportunities.


That sounds amazing! and yay not being the only black person in a room lol

I got accepted into a school and they added people who were accepted onto a Class of 2020 Facebook page and there's only 10 AA including me..hoping that's not completely representative.

Yeah some may not have Facebook or didn't join the group. I don't have Facebook lol. Yeah it was cool.

The Dean approached me and started talking to me about the basketball game in the beginning because I went to that event lol.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:USC actually has diversity guys. I wasn't the only black person. There was a girl in my group and a guy from Duke lol. Really loved the campus. Went to admitted students tour today. Gonna head back on the 13th for the diversity reception, BLSA banquet, and law day on the 14th.

Oh also they have certain unicorn law firm first year internships for diverse students. They said most people do clerkships first year but some of the diverse students end up at law firms because of the opportunities.


That sounds amazing! and yay not being the only black person in a room lol

I got accepted into a school and they added people who were accepted onto a Class of 2020 Facebook page and there's only 10 AA including me..hoping that's not completely representative.

Yeah some may not have Facebook or didn't join the group. I don't have Facebook lol. Yeah it was cool.

The Dean approached me and started talking to me about the basketball game in the beginning because I went to that event lol.


Hoping that's the case but school demographic-wise, it's unlikely lol

Schmoozing is a skill!

klove2020

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby klove2020 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Wondering if anyone can help me make sense of Harvard's decisions this year- doesn't seem to be very many URMs at all (especially lacking AAs)- there was another wave with very few URMs this morning. Should we be expecting another wave with lower scorers and more URMs or is this it?

I know URMs tend to be less likely to report scores on LSN and TLS but I'm trying to hold out hope for one more JS2 wave!

User avatar
TripleM

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby TripleM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Any other late applicants? The karmic punishment for applying late is that you don't know whether schools' silence is because there are just so many rejections and so little time or because they haven't even read your application yet and just don't yet know that their true love is waiting.

NYU, love me. NU, love me. Columbia, love me. Stanford, I'll be happy to even be your backup man.

Stop laughing. I'm holding onto the dreams until they say no. Maybe the reason they're not returning my texts is that their phone is broken. Or they're out of service range.

KillaKam92

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby KillaKam92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:58 pm

TripleM wrote:Any other late applicants? The karmic punishment for applying late is that you don't know whether schools' silence is because there are just so many rejections and so little time or because they haven't even read your application yet and just don't yet know that their true love is waiting.

NYU, love me. NU, love me. Columbia, love me. Stanford, I'll be happy to even be your backup man.

Stop laughing. I'm holding onto the dreams until they say no. Maybe the reason they're not returning my texts is that their phone is broken. Or they're out of service range.


Yeah I applied late as hell in feb, I've already called a mulligan on this cycle

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby hammy393 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm

klove2020 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help me make sense of Harvard's decisions this year- doesn't seem to be very many URMs at all (especially lacking AAs)- there was another wave with very few URMs this morning. Should we be expecting another wave with lower scorers and more URMs or is this it?

I know URMs tend to be less likely to report scores on LSN and TLS but I'm trying to hold out hope for one more JS2 wave!


I'm thinking there'll be another small wave. Still waiting on a js2, know of another URM who is too

User avatar
chasima

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby chasima » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 pm

hammy393 wrote:
klove2020 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help me make sense of Harvard's decisions this year- doesn't seem to be very many URMs at all (especially lacking AAs)- there was another wave with very few URMs this morning. Should we be expecting another wave with lower scorers and more URMs or is this it?

I know URMs tend to be less likely to report scores on LSN and TLS but I'm trying to hold out hope for one more JS2 wave!


I'm thinking there'll be another small wave. Still waiting on a js2, know of another URM who is too


I agree. My gpa is super low, but, like you (klove), i got the interview invite after my feb lsat release and my lsat's at median... i also really think my js1 went well enough to not give up hope, as naive as that may be. Anything can happen, it's not over til it's over :)

User avatar
chasima

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby chasima » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 pm

TripleM wrote:Any other late applicants? The karmic punishment for applying late is that you don't know whether schools' silence is because there are just so many rejections and so little time or because they haven't even read your application yet and just don't yet know that their true love is waiting.

NYU, love me. NU, love me. Columbia, love me. Stanford, I'll be happy to even be your backup man.

Stop laughing. I'm holding onto the dreams until they say no. Maybe the reason they're not returning my texts is that their phone is broken. Or they're out of service range.


No laughs!! I think you've got the right attitude! I read a thread here for URMs that said a slow yes is better than a quick no.. it's so true.

klove2020

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby klove2020 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 pm

chasima wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
klove2020 wrote:Wondering if anyone can help me make sense of Harvard's decisions this year- doesn't seem to be very many URMs at all (especially lacking AAs)- there was another wave with very few URMs this morning. Should we be expecting another wave with lower scorers and more URMs or is this it?

I know URMs tend to be less likely to report scores on LSN and TLS but I'm trying to hold out hope for one more JS2 wave!


I'm thinking there'll be another small wave. Still waiting on a js2, know of another URM who is too


I agree. My gpa is super low, but, like you (klove), i got the interview invite after my feb lsat release and my lsat's at median... i also really think my js1 went well enough to not give up hope, as naive as that may be. Anything can happen, it's not over til it's over :)


Thanks for the support guys! I love the URM thread

User avatar
TripleM

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby TripleM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 pm

cooley1ster wrote:Hey Everyone! I've been looking at this forum alot during the law school application process to help me with my decisions. I'm starting to narrow down my choices and I want to ask for some advice since I'm sure y'all know more about law schools than me. My choices top are West Virginia Law with a full ride and 19K stipend a year which would basically cover living costs. Colorado Boulder with a full tuition ride and Washington in St. Louis with a 40K towards tuition a year. Would anyone please help me decide what is the smartest and best choice for me to make regarding law school next year


I'd encourage you to keep CU in the mix, depending on your goals etc... I live in Colorado (have for a while) and have had really great interaction with faculty. PM me if you have questions about Colorado, Boulder or the Denver market. I can try to answer questions about the school, but all I know is based on my interactions with faculty and alum so heavy grain of salt.

I'm in at CU and have a possibility of a full ride. I'll say that CU has moved up my list significantly in recent weeks as I've spent more time speaking to practicing attorneys about it.

Hobbesy

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Hobbesy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 am

Hey guysssss!
Tardy to the party (just like my applications), my bad!

I won't bore y'all with my WL/dings, but I am in at Northwestern! And waiting to hear back from the majority of schools I applied to sooooo I'm sitting in limbo.

Really happy to see this cycle is going well for a lot of us, congratulations to everyone in at their dream school! *hugs for everyone!*



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests