URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
PrezRand

Gold

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

100 bro. I want the experience. I have never worked at a law firm before. Also hate my job and would love to have the opportunity to leave early.

You also get a grand a week lol

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:52 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
how do people become PILS finalists????? literally my whole app was about PI. also congrats--great options!!!

mine was, too - but with my horrific LSAT I still really can't believe I got in, let alone was invited to interview for PILS. good luck! and thank you!

was there a separate app though, or did you express interest in the scholarship feeler email? I'm sure you'll do awesome--good luck!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

+180.

ALSO, the money. lol

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 pm

me, post-SEO:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

100 bro. I want the experience. I have never worked at a law firm before. Also hate my job and would love to have the opportunity to leave early.

[+] Spoiler

No beating that lol.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

[+] Spoiler

No beating that lol.

RT

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:06 pm

So I'm currently in Ann Arbor visiting Michigan and if I could like... scoop up the school + the students and plop it somewhere else, I'd probably love it here, but I am really, very, seriously hesitant when it comes to attending law school in yet another college town after not loving being an UNDERGRADUATE in a college town.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

[+] Spoiler

No beating that lol.

RT

I've been wondering: how much of that do you guys think we'll get to keep after taxes + living expenses during SEO?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

[+] Spoiler

No beating that lol.

RT

I've been wondering: how much of that do you guys think we'll get to keep after taxes + living expenses during SEO?

I can get a studio in LA for like 900-1300. It said the salary was like 1500, something like that. I can cook, so that will save me money. So i think I would save quite a bit lol.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

RT

I can get a studio in LA for like 900-1300. It said the salary was like 1500, something like that. I can cook, so that will save me money. So i think I would save quite a bit lol.

State taxes are important too.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Well most people end up in NYC, so I guess based on that...

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Ah, didn't think of that. For people who will have worked outside of NYC, it'll likely be a headache to figure out filling out their taxes for their home state and NY.

As much as I'd like to go to DC, LA, or somewhere exciting, I'm likely staying local to save as much as possible.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:32 pm

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Ah, didn't think of that. For people who will have worked outside of NYC, it'll likely be a headache to figure out filling out their taxes for their home state and NY.

As much as I'd like to go to DC, LA, or somewhere exciting, I'm likely staying local to save as much as possible.

I'd like to stay local.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I'd like to stay local.

Originally, I was obsessed with NYC lol but I'd honestly never thought about Chicago on a serious level. Now, I think I'd prefer Chicago -- ESPECIALLY if I choose to deposit at NU.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:Originally, I was obsessed with NYC lol but I'd honestly never thought about Chicago on a serious level. Now, I think I'd prefer Chicago -- ESPECIALLY if I choose to deposit at NU.

Yeah I think while I would love to live in NYC for the summer if I end up depositing at U of C it makes way more sense to start a lease and get settled for SEO. Of course they have one firm in Chicago, Jones Day, so IDK how many slots there will be.

also I am lazy and just want to be settled for once. and making money.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 pm

azaleafire wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Originally, I was obsessed with NYC lol but I'd honestly never thought about Chicago on a serious level. Now, I think I'd prefer Chicago -- ESPECIALLY if I choose to deposit at NU.

Yeah I think while I would love to live in NYC for the summer if I end up depositing at U of C it makes way more sense to start a lease and get settled for SEO. Of course they have one firm in Chicago, Jones Day, so IDK how many slots there will be.

also I am lazy and just want to be settled for once. and making money.

Oh damn. Jones Day is the only one!??!?

That's tragic. And I'm pretty sure it's probably like... a handful (5) MAXIMUM, but I'd bet it's more like 3.

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 pm

brinicolec wrote:So I'm currently in Ann Arbor visiting Michigan and if I could like... scoop up the school + the students and plop it somewhere else, I'd probably love it here, but I am really, very, seriously hesitant when it comes to attending law school in yet another college town after not loving being an UNDERGRADUATE in a college town.

Ughhh this is how i am dreading that i will feel! Please tell us more about your visit! Are you between Michigan and Northwestern now?

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Oh damn. Jones Day is the only one!??!?

That's tragic. And I'm pretty sure it's probably like... a handful (5) MAXIMUM, but I'd bet it's more like 3.

Yeah it's really confusing to me because I am 99% sure Jenner & Block is headquartered in Chicago.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:40 pm

playersball wrote:
brinicolec wrote:So I'm currently in Ann Arbor visiting Michigan and if I could like... scoop up the school + the students and plop it somewhere else, I'd probably love it here, but I am really, very, seriously hesitant when it comes to attending law school in yet another college town after not loving being an UNDERGRADUATE in a college town.

Ughhh this is how i am dreading that i will feel! Please tell us more about your visit! Are you between Michigan and Northwestern now?

PM for details :)
Last edited by brinicolec on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:.

Thanks for sharing all of that! I am visiting next week for Preview Weekend and have lived on the west coast my whole life so don't really know what to expect haha. That sounds like great news re fin aid and I hope it all works out for you!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm

playersball wrote:

Thanks for sharing all of that! I am visiting next week for Preview Weekend and have lived on the west coast my whole life so don't really know what to expect haha. That sounds like great news re fin aid and I hope it all works out for you!

You should talk to Shavon Taylor. She is on BLSA. She came from the Bay Area.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the Pipeline to Practice Foundation (http://www.pipelinetopractice.org/students/)? It's similar to CLEO's program for incoming students but without the $100+ fee.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 pm

playersball wrote:

No problem! I mean, weather-wise: It's pretty cold here right now. In the 30s. Earlier, there was a brief snow shower. I'm not sure what kind of concerns/questions you have in that regard though. Weather is just the first thing that came to mind lol.

And thank you!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 pm

renc56 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the Pipeline to Practice Foundation (http://www.pipelinetopractice.org/students/)? It's similar to CLEO's program for incoming students but without the $100+ fee.

I haven't heard anything about it, but I have seen it on Michigan's website lol.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 am

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the Pipeline to Practice Foundation (http://www.pipelinetopractice.org/students/)? It's similar to CLEO's program for incoming students but without the $100+ fee.

I haven't heard anything about it, but I have seen it on Michigan's website lol.

Their external scholarships page is amazing. I almost wish I applied there but I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the winters..

Any program that says "free" and providing info about law school classes = win

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?