URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby 2000andBeyond » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:20 pm

brinicolec wrote:The debt thing will always be a personal decision. I could pay sticker for NU and pay it off in less than ten years if I lived off of $80k. Not ideal, but not terrible either (to me). Some people think that's awful though. I think it's a personal cost vs. benefits situation.


Girl..ain't no one paying sticker outchea! NU is going to bless us with that moneyyyy lol (i really hope)

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:The debt thing will always be a personal decision. I could pay sticker for NU and pay it off in less than ten years if I lived off of $80k. Not ideal, but not terrible either (to me). Some people think that's awful though. I think it's a personal cost vs. benefits situation.


Girl..ain't no one paying sticker outchea! NU is going to bless us with that moneyyyy lol (i really hope)


Lol fingers crossed!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:The debt thing will always be a personal decision. I could pay sticker for NU and pay it off in less than ten years if I lived off of $80k. Not ideal, but not terrible either (to me). Some people think that's awful though. I think it's a personal cost vs. benefits situation.


Girl..ain't no one paying sticker outchea! NU is going to bless us with that moneyyyy lol (i really hope)


Lol fingers crossed!

Praying for y'all.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 pm

any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

User avatar
sfn91

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby sfn91 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:40 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on


Oh, the fleeing my job is definitely a leading factor. Lol.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:45 pm

sfn91 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on


Oh, the fleeing my job is definitely a leading factor. Lol.


I can't imagine lasting through the summer lol. It would be too brutal

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby 2000andBeyond » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on


Oh, the fleeing my job is definitely a leading factor. Lol.


I can't imagine lasting through the summer lol. It would be too brutal


+1

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on


Oh, the fleeing my job is definitely a leading factor. Lol.


I can't imagine lasting through the summer lol. It would be too brutal


+1


+1000

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby poptart123 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on


All of the above

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:07 pm

I even applied to Humanity in Action to get out of working at my job for another summer :lol:

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:18 pm

renc56 wrote:I even applied to Humanity in Action to get out of working at my job for another summer :lol:


dang that program sounds awesome. wish I would have heard of it sooner!

lawpotato

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lawpotato » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Just got emailed that I was selected as an alternate for USC's Rothman Scholarship. Almost wish they would have just outright rejected me so I can stop obsessing until April lol.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:22 pm

lawpotato wrote:Just got emailed that I was selected as an alternate for USC's Rothman Scholarship. Almost wish they would have just outright rejected me so I can stop obsessing until April lol.


alternate is still good news, congrats!

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm

lawpotato wrote:Just got emailed that I was selected as an alternate for USC's Rothman Scholarship. Almost wish they would have just outright rejected me so I can stop obsessing until April lol.


Hopefully whoever won it doesn't accept it or goes elsewhere so it's yours!

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
renc56 wrote:I even applied to Humanity in Action to get out of working at my job for another summer :lol:


dang that program sounds awesome. wish I would have heard of it sooner!


Deadline was in January when most of us were probably still brain dead after applying.

crookedsmile

Bronze
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby crookedsmile » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:30 pm

lawpotato wrote:Just got emailed that I was selected as an alternate for USC's Rothman Scholarship. Almost wish they would have just outright rejected me so I can stop obsessing until April lol.


hey that's still awesome news! congrats!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Providing yet another data set for future Hispanic applicants.
I applied to several schools in the T14 with decent outcomes; my LSAT is below the 25th across the board.

In: UVA, NU, GULC; finalist for PILS at GULC.
WL: CLS, UChi, Penn
Waiting for: NYU, H

GPA is 3.9x - definitely think that helped.

EDIT: was being T14 specific so I left out other acceptances: BU (75k), Fordham (45k), Northeastern (Full)
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20171lhopeful

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Providing yet another data set for future Hispanic applicants.
I applied to several schools in the T14 with decent outcomes; my LSAT is below the 25th across the board.

In: UVA, NU, GULC; finalist for PILS at GULC.
WL: CLS, UChi, Penn
Waiting for: NYU, H

GPA is 3.9x - definitely think that helped.


how do people become PILS finalists????? literally my whole app was about PI. also congrats--great options!!!

User avatar
TripleM

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby TripleM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:16 pm

renc56 wrote:Extremely off-topic but how do you figure out your LSAC GPA? I realize it's somewhere on the LSAC website within CAS but for the life of me I cannot find it.......

Wait... "topic"... singular? Is that going to be a thing on this thread now? If so, I'm out!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
how do people become PILS finalists????? literally my whole app was about PI. also congrats--great options!!!


mine was, too - but with my horrific LSAT I still really can't believe I got in, let alone was invited to interview for PILS. good luck! and thank you!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

100 bro. I want the experience. I have never worked at a law firm before. Also hate my job and would love to have the opportunity to leave early.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

100 bro. I want the experience. I have never worked at a law firm before. Also hate my job and would love to have the opportunity to leave early.


What do you do??

I'm hoping SEO doesn't discriminate against those who have worked in a law firm..

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 pm

renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:any one else really hoping for SEO because its amazing and great experience and everything but also because they really don't want to stay at their job through the summer? I'm ready to move on

100 bro. I want the experience. I have never worked at a law firm before. Also hate my job and would love to have the opportunity to leave early.


What do you do??

I'm hoping SEO doesn't discriminate against those who have worked in a law firm..

I work at Grocery store aka Hell on earth.

lawpotato

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby lawpotato » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 pm

renc56 wrote:
lawpotato wrote:Just got emailed that I was selected as an alternate for USC's Rothman Scholarship. Almost wish they would have just outright rejected me so I can stop obsessing until April lol.


Hopefully whoever won it doesn't accept it or goes elsewhere so it's yours!


Well I guess they have a final 4 that they actually bring to campus to interview in person and I'm an alternate for that. So hopefully one of them doesn't show up!

illini2016

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby illini2016 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Hey there.
Last edited by illini2016 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests