URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cc268

New

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby cc268 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:00 pm

mixed-race Canadian male checking in (half-black, half-korean), 3.85 gpa, 177 lsat, hoping for harvard, yale or stanford, or a generous scholarship from ccn! good luck everyone!

Nani2429

New

Postby Nani2429 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:57 am

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your informative post. I find this site to be super helpful specially when I'm the first person in my family to graduate collage and now going after a law degree :D . I just took the September 2016 LSAT and must say everything was going well until the Logic Game one of the games was super hard and took me by surprise. I'm thinking of cancelling my score and taking the exam in December 2016. This is my second time sitting for the exam. The first time I took it I didn't do so well because I was really distracted. The proctor kept allowing a guy to use the bathroom multiple times and didn't start the exam until he returned. As a result the exam took over 5 hours to complete :x :x the term being brain dead after this exam is an understatement. I just want to know how do law schools interpret multiple attempts to take the exam. Any advice welcome and good luck to everyone during this cycle.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:58 pm

Last edited by dietcoke1 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:43 pm

dietcoke, I'm not even sure you need to put that since it's an optional section. If anything, you could call the admiss office and see what they say.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:dietcoke, I'm not even sure you need to put that since it's an optional section. If anything, you could call the admiss office and see what they say.

you're probably right. I was just wondering though because under section 7 of the application it says to list the aspects of yourself that are underrepresented and then goes on to say to attach a brief statement describing these and how they are relevant to your application.

I just don't want it to come across as though I'm disregarding instructions.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:03 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:dietcoke, I'm not even sure you need to put that since it's an optional section. If anything, you could call the admiss office and see what they say.

you're probably right. I was just wondering though because under section 7 of the application it says to list the aspects of yourself that are underrepresented and then goes on to say to attach a brief statement describing these and how they are relevant to your application.

I just don't want it to come across as though I'm disregarding instructions.

Hm, I'd just call to be sure.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Is there any point to the status checkers? Or will schools call/e-mail first when accepted? I don't really want to check them all every few days. Lol

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Nani2429 wrote:Hello,

Thank you everyone for your informative post. I find this site to be super helpful specially when I'm the first person in my family to graduate collage and now going after a law degree :D . I just took the September 2016 LSAT and must say everything was going well until the Logic Game one of the games was super hard and took me by surprise. I'm thinking of cancelling my score and taking the exam in December 2016. This is my second time sitting for the exam. The first time I took it I didn't do so well because I was really distracted. The proctor kept allowing a guy to use the bathroom multiple times and didn't start the exam until he returned. As a result the exam took over 5 hours to complete :x :x the term being brain dead after this exam is an understatement. I just want to know how do law schools interpret multiple attempts to take the exam. Any advice welcome and good luck to everyone during this cycle.

schools only care about your highest score! multiple takes are perfectly fine

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:35 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Is there any point to the status checkers? Or will schools call/e-mail first when accepted? I don't really want to check them all every few days. Lol

schools call/email when accepted. you may be able to see your decision a few minutes or an hour(s) earlier before you receive the email/phone call for some schools. other schools don't even update the status checker.

texcellence

Bronze

Postby texcellence » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:23 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Is there any point to the status checkers? Or will schools call/e-mail first when accepted? I don't really want to check them all every few days. Lol

ditto to dietcoke1 but as a someone who's been through the application process, i would venture to guess that status checkers exist primarily just to drive applicants nuts!

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Checking in. Waiting on my September score to decide if I'm going to retake in December. Anyone else? I really want to avoid applying in January if possible, but we'll see what happens :) Good luck, y'all.

76ers4life

New

Postby 76ers4life » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 pm

lula43 wrote:Checking in. Waiting on my September score to decide if I'm going to retake in December. Anyone else? I really want to avoid applying in January if possible, but we'll see what happens :) Good luck, y'all.

I'm in the same boat. Really hoping to get a good score so I can get my apps out as soon as possible and have this all be over with. :|

Heluvsme23

New

Postby Heluvsme23 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:50 am

Checking in!

AA Female
LSAC GPA: 3.76
HBCU Undergrad (c/o 2015)
LSAT: December 2016

Wishing everyone an amazing cycle!

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:37 am

Nani2429 wrote:Hello,

Don't think they crucify you for additional attempts. USNEWS rankings only care about the highest scores so as a result most law schools really only care about the highest scores.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 am

23 year old AA here. Graduated Univ. of Maryland --C/O 2015.

First LSAT take 161 on Sept. '14. Just took Sept. '16 last month and waiting for scores too. Praying for 170+, felt pretty good about it but you know how feelings and test scores go so :|

My GPA is like 3.0 so who the hell knows what I can get. I'm from Baltimore City though with pretty respectable softs so I'm gonna blanket T-14. Not looking at any law school predictors or TLS advice for where I'll get in. I'm just gonna pray to God and trust His perfect plan.

Good luck to everyone.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:17 pm

maraschino wrote:
bgt1995 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
bgt1995 wrote:Hi, everyone! I'm a Mexican female aiming for HYS.

Question... is anyone else struggling to differentiate their PS from diversity? It just seems like every PS I write touches on my moving to the US because, hey, it was a pretty major life experience. So now idk whether it's even worth it to do a separate diversity statement. Any thoughts?

Same problem with ps and ds... idk what to do to be honest.

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this... I just made an appointment to talk to my pre-law advisor about this tomorrow, so I'll report back with her thoughts.

Yes please let us know. I'm struggling with the same problem.

Anyone have any updates on this? This dilemma is the only thing holding back my applications haha

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:06 pm

azaleafire wrote:
maraschino wrote:
bgt1995 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Question... is anyone else struggling to differentiate their PS from diversity? It just seems like every PS I write touches on my moving to the US because, hey, it was a pretty major life experience. So now idk whether it's even worth it to do a separate diversity statement. Any thoughts?

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this... I just made an appointment to talk to my pre-law advisor about this tomorrow, so I'll report back with her thoughts.

Anyone have any updates on this? This dilemma is the only thing holding back my applications haha

I found my PS to be very "diverse" so I have chosen to not write a DS at all. I thought that if I were to write one it could be potentially redundant. Not sure if this is the right way to do it, I will have to wait and see what my decisions are, but I do think its okay to leave a DS out.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Postby USayinBoalt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 pm

azaleafire wrote:
maraschino wrote:
bgt1995 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

it's 100% okay to forgo writing a DS if it risks redundancy. I would actually recommend that if you can't think of anything unique

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:24 pm

I struggled with the PS/DS situation too because it is highly recommended to not sound repetitive or similar to your PS in your DS. I was pretty happy with how I ended up organizing it so hopefully I can help some of you out!

First, I should mention that I believe TCR is that you should not force a diversity statement just because you are URM, if you can touch on the aspects that make you a diverse applicant in your PS then that is amazing. Especially if what makes you diverse has played a role in what brought you to pursuing law and you can tie it together nicely.

What I did was sort of disaggregate the different aspects of my identity that make me a diverse applicant. My PS was more focused on my ethnic background, whereas my DS was more about my socioeconomic background. I should say that I did not do this naturally but after writing my PS, I realized that I still had something left to discuss that would add to my diversity. I was very careful not to overlap one into the other, so my ethnicity was not really mentioned in my diversity statement. Similarly, my socioeconomic disadvantages of my upbringing were not really discussed in my personal statement.

I hope this helps someone, good luck to all of you this cycle!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Last edited by poptart123 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
maraschino wrote:
bgt1995 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

it's 100% okay to forgo writing a DS if it risks redundancy. I would actually recommend that if you can't think of anything unique

cool thank you! I don't think I am going to write a diversity statement because I think my PS does a good job at demonstrating my diversity. I was just fearful that it might make me seem like I didn't care enough to write one.

Thank you for clearing that up - I've been curious for a while now!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dip

New

Postby Dip » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:44 am

Have you all sent out your applications?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Dip wrote:Have you all sent out your applications?

Sent out 6 already. Waiting for Sept LSAT to send out the rest (hopefully today)

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Dip wrote:Have you all sent out your applications?

Sent out all 13, have started hearing back slowly.

Nani2429

New

Postby Nani2429 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Thank you everyone for your response... I decided not to cancel lol let see how everything goes as the anxiety kicks in because scores are release in 2 days good luck to everyone :D

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?