URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Dip

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Dip » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I got an email from Emory but it was just to say only file is still in review :roll:

User avatar
Stephylynette

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:04 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Stephylynette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Dip wrote:I got an email from Emory but it was just to say only file is still in review :roll:

Same. I just want them to love me. :roll:

User avatar
sfn91

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby sfn91 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Finishing up a scholarship essay which was modeled after my diversity statement, and realizing it was a mistake to not use that in my LS apps instead of my submitted PS and kicking myself for it. <-- unhealthy waiting game coping mechanisms

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Dinged at Cornell - 3.2 / 165

Not unexpected, but still a bummer.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby azaleafire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:49 pm

I just want to do a #humblebrag - got into all the schools I applied to. Now I just have to wait for a couple more scholly decisions and I am going to law school :shock:

AJ1010

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby AJ1010 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm

klove2020 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


Very similar stats to you but I was still holding out hope! 165 3.7 AA female from an Ivy (applying K-JD) but just got my Feb LSAT score tonight so I doubt they've looked at my application yet. Do you really think its an automatic ding?


I am an AA female KJD applicant with basically the same stats as you, and I have been accepted. So, it is definitely not an auto ding. Also, if you check lawschoolnumbers.com, there are applicants with LSATs down to 160 who have been admitted in years past.

User avatar
USayinBoalt

Gold
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby USayinBoalt » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:00 pm

azaleafire wrote:I just want to do a #humblebrag - got into all the schools I applied to. Now I just have to wait for a couple more scholly decisions and I am going to law school :shock:


CONGRATS! a clean sweep is quite the accomplishment

jatyson22

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby jatyson22 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 pm

So far accepted at Emory, William & Mary, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Wash U, and UC Davis. Still waiting on lots of others. All with scholarships (haven't heard from UC Davis yet) and full tuition at Wash U.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

azaleafire wrote:I just want to do a #humblebrag - got into all the schools I applied to. Now I just have to wait for a couple more scholly decisions and I am going to law school :shock:

Congratulations you worked hard for it!

User avatar
OnlyHumean

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby OnlyHumean » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:14 pm

azaleafire wrote:I just want to do a #humblebrag - got into all the schools I applied to. Now I just have to wait for a couple more scholly decisions and I am going to law school :shock:


Amazing. Congrats, you deserved it. Are you leaning towards a school as it stands?

If I remember correctly you never ended up applying to Yale. I'm just curious about that because I think you would have stood a shot.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby azaleafire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

OnlyHumean wrote:
azaleafire wrote:I just want to do a #humblebrag - got into all the schools I applied to. Now I just have to wait for a couple more scholly decisions and I am going to law school :shock:


Amazing. Congrats, you deserved it. Are you leaning towards a school as it stands?

If I remember correctly you never ended up applying to Yale. I'm just curious about that because I think you would have stood a shot.


Thanks! I just really, really don't like New Haven and would be miserable if I was there for 3 years. I so have a little bit of regret about not just seeing, but... yeah no not really. Right now its UMich/UVA money vs. Harvard prestige/convenience (I wouldn't have to move too far.) It's hard to turn down going to law school tuition free, or with a stipend, esp. since Harvard has that insane 48K baseloan.

KillaKam92

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby KillaKam92 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:08 pm

So I just heard back from LSAC today, I am eligible to take Sept 17 LSAT. really glad since I'll still be able to re-take and have an nice early app before halloween! Gotta go hard studying wise though, can't wait to jump back into prep work!

janereacher

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby janereacher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on re-taking the LSAT and applying next cycle vs. trying to apply as a transfer? After WL at Duke and UCLA, I'm rather pessimistic about getting any more T14 bites (got into Georgetown). Given GT's reputation with scholly offers (I am being considered for one), I wonder if it would make sense to go to UW law (in-state for me) and then try the transfer route. It would keep me from losing a year given that I am pursuing an MPH as well.

User avatar
LegallyBlackJD

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 pm

Creeping on the URM thread. AA URM female here. Excited to see where we all go!

Waiting to hear backkkkk....In the interim, headed on vacation! Good luck to us all!!! :)


#blacklawyersmatter

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:Creeping on the URM thread. AA URM female here. Excited to see where we all go!

Waiting to hear backkkkk....In the interim, headed on vacation! Good luck to us all!!! :)


#blacklawyersmatter

Going on vacation is a good idea lol. I need one now.

User avatar
LegallyBlackJD

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:Creeping on the URM thread. AA URM female here. Excited to see where we all go!

Waiting to hear backkkkk....In the interim, headed on vacation! Good luck to us all!!! :)


#blacklawyersmatter

Going on vacation is a good idea lol. I need one now.


Shit. I think we all do!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:So I just heard back from LSAC today, I am eligible to take Sept 17 LSAT. really glad since I'll still be able to re-take and have an nice early app before halloween! Gotta go hard studying wise though, can't wait to jump back into prep work!

You got this Killa.Cam'ron would be proud.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Never would have guessed some1 on TLS besides myself knew about Killa Cam

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby hammy393 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:08 am

janereacher wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on re-taking the LSAT and applying next cycle vs. trying to apply as a transfer? After WL at Duke and UCLA, I'm rather pessimistic about getting any more T14 bites (got into Georgetown). Given GT's reputation with scholly offers (I am being considered for one), I wonder if it would make sense to go to UW law (in-state for me) and then try the transfer route. It would keep me from losing a year given that I am pursuing an MPH as well.


Here's the absolute must read thread on transferring: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

To crack the T14 you'll need to be at least top 10% in your class at a T1

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:51 am

hammy393 wrote:
janereacher wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on re-taking the LSAT and applying next cycle vs. trying to apply as a transfer? After WL at Duke and UCLA, I'm rather pessimistic about getting any more T14 bites (got into Georgetown). Given GT's reputation with scholly offers (I am being considered for one), I wonder if it would make sense to go to UW law (in-state for me) and then try the transfer route. It would keep me from losing a year given that I am pursuing an MPH as well.


Here's the absolute must read thread on transferring: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

To crack the T14 you'll need to be at least top 10% in your class at a T1



if you won't be happy at anything but a t14, I think retaking is the better option because transferring is SUER hard and it's hard for anyone to know what kinda law student they'll be so I wouldn't go into it planning on going somewhere else

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:47 am

PrezRand wrote:Never would have guessed some1 on TLS besides myself knew about Killa Cam

You right lmao. I thought the same. I just used this avi because it's funny that he's in all pink lol.
Image

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby uhwrestler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:02 am

sfn91 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?


coming from the rural south my dream is to go to a big shot northeastern ivy lol

so far i got cornell and im pretty happy about that
i was waitlisted at columbia a little disappointed about that

but i am overall happy with cornell


Your application must have had some really good strengths because Cornell has been very picky this year! Are you also first-generation?


yes first generation law school and first generation college

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:45 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Never would have guessed some1 on TLS besides myself knew about Killa Cam

You right lmao. I thought the same. I just used this avi because it's funny that he's in all pink lol.
Image

Lmfaooo

Cbear2017

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Cbear2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:14 am

Just got Uchicago! This cycle has seriously gone waaayyy better than I imagined.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:20 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Never would have guessed some1 on TLS besides myself knew about Killa Cam

You right lmao. I thought the same. I just used this avi because it's funny that he's in all pink lol.
Image


Do y'all think law students are just empty shells lacking musical knowledge?!?!? lol



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlsanon and 1 guest