URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.


Don't you have to wait two years?

User avatar
sfn91

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.


Don't you have to wait two years?


You'll have to wait until December I think, because September still won't be 2 years since since the first take.

Edited: Actually, I vaguely remember someone taking it a month before it was two years because it was close enough to a two-year gap between administrations. I'd e-mail LSAC.

KillaKam92

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby KillaKam92 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:17 pm

brinicolec wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.


Don't you have to wait two years?


The way I understand the rule is its "3 times in a 2 year window" so since my first time taking it was OCT. 15, I would be eligible 2 years after this time. If I'm intepreting this wrong but this is just what ive seen on TLS, Reddit, google, etc. Now whether or not I can take in Sept. or Dec. i'm not 100% sure.

BTW if someone is reading this and I'm mistaking PLZ LET ME KNOW THX

KillaKam92

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby KillaKam92 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:19 pm

sfn91 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.


Don't you have to wait two years?


You'll have to wait until December I think, because September still won't be 2 years since since the first take.

Edited: Actually, I vaguely remember someone taking it a month before it was two years because it was close enough to a two-year gap between administrations. I'd e-mail LSAC.


Good idea I will email them asap and ask. I have really bad test anxiety and I sat last Dec. after sleeping for 2 hours. BIG MISTAKE on my part

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.

I thought about retaking but honestly my cycle has gone so well that I forgot that I don't even care anymore lol. Yeah that's a good choice if you have the time and I hope you do better bro.

KillaKam92

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby KillaKam92 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.

I thought about retaking but honestly my cycle has gone so well that I forgot that I don't even care anymore lol. Yeah that's a good choice if you have the time and I hope you do better bro.


thanks man, and congrats on your cycle! I know you got USC, thats a great option for Cali. I'm still waiting on schools to get back to me but I applied pretty late. I mean if I have a good option or two I'll consider it of course. My gpa sucks tho (3.1) so I think I need a higher LSAT + putting apps in earlier if I want a T14.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:35 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.

I thought about retaking but honestly my cycle has gone so well that I forgot that I don't even care anymore lol. Yeah that's a good choice if you have the time and I hope you do better bro.


thanks man, and congrats on your cycle! I know you got USC, thats a great option for Cali. I'm still waiting on schools to get back to me but I applied pretty late. I mean if I have a good option or two I'll consider it of course. My gpa sucks tho (3.1) so I think I need a higher LSAT + putting apps in earlier if I want a T14.

Yeah a higher LSAT will offset your GPA. The same way how my GPA helps offset my LSAT.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.

I thought about retaking but honestly my cycle has gone so well that I forgot that I don't even care anymore lol. Yeah that's a good choice if you have the time and I hope you do better bro.


thanks man, and congrats on your cycle! I know you got USC, thats a great option for Cali. I'm still waiting on schools to get back to me but I applied pretty late. I mean if I have a good option or two I'll consider it of course. My gpa sucks tho (3.1) so I think I need a higher LSAT + putting apps in earlier if I want a T14.

Yeah a higher LSAT will offset your GPA. The same way how my GPA helps offset my LSAT.


+1 My GPA is that of a physics major... but that LSAT, tho.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
KillaKam92 wrote:So I've decided to re-take the LSAT, I think adding 5-6 more point to my 163 would really open a lot up for me T14 wise. Not sure if I'll have to wait til Sept/Dec though since I used up all my 3 takes OCT 15 FEB 16 and DEC 16.

I thought about retaking but honestly my cycle has gone so well that I forgot that I don't even care anymore lol. Yeah that's a good choice if you have the time and I hope you do better bro.


thanks man, and congrats on your cycle! I know you got USC, thats a great option for Cali. I'm still waiting on schools to get back to me but I applied pretty late. I mean if I have a good option or two I'll consider it of course. My gpa sucks tho (3.1) so I think I need a higher LSAT + putting apps in earlier if I want a T14.

Yeah a higher LSAT will offset your GPA. The same way how my GPA helps offset my LSAT.


+1 My GPA is that of a physics major... but that LSAT, tho.

Sometimes I think since I am going into law I could have done computer science for undergrad because you can do whatever and go to law school. On the other hand, I really enjoy the Political Philosophy courses that I was able to take. Those classes challenged me the most and truly excited me. Political Science is a nice major but everything came too easy to me.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Sometimes I think since I am going into law I could have done computer science for undergrad because you can do whatever and go to law school. On the other hand, I really enjoy the Political Philosophy courses that I was able to take. Those classes challenged me the most and truly excited me. Political Science is a nice major but everything came too easy to me.


I would never do comp sci in undergrad. It's so easy to learn on your own, and fewer jobs are requiring the degree now, and just test your aptitude. I truly believe compsci will be a big help in equalizing the playing field for many who cannot afford higher ed.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:48 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Sometimes I think since I am going into law I could have done computer science for undergrad because you can do whatever and go to law school. On the other hand, I really enjoy the Political Philosophy courses that I was able to take. Those classes challenged me the most and truly excited me. Political Science is a nice major but everything came too easy to me.


I would never do comp sci in undergrad. It's so easy to learn on your own, and fewer jobs are requiring the degree now, and just test your aptitude. I truly believe compsci will be a big help in equalizing the playing field for many who cannot afford higher ed.

Yeah that's one thing I thought about that it is easy to learn on your own. There are many coding websites as well and jobs are being shifted overseas. I'm glad I got to challenge myself. The thing is I was always really good at math as well.

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby uhwrestler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:08 pm

rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm

uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7

*shrug* getting lost in a crowd is overrated. You'll have better options.

e: Also, Boston sucks.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 pm

uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7



AA URM? Sorry to hear that my man :(
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby uhwrestler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7



AA URM? Sorry to hear that my man :(


yes aa urm

User avatar
USayinBoalt

Gold
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby USayinBoalt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 pm

uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?

klove2020

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby klove2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 am

uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


Very similar stats to you but I was still holding out hope! 165 3.7 AA female from an Ivy (applying K-JD) but just got my Feb LSAT score tonight so I doubt they've looked at my application yet. Do you really think its an automatic ding?

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby uhwrestler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:12 am

klove2020 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


Very similar stats to you but I was still holding out hope! 165 3.7 AA female from an Ivy (applying K-JD) but just got my Feb LSAT score tonight so I doubt they've looked at my application yet. Do you really think its an automatic ding?


i went to a state school. and that 2 points extra on your lsat will be a huge boost giving a much higher chance than me....

uhwrestler

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby uhwrestler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 am

USayinBoalt wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?


coming from the rural south my dream is to go to a big shot northeastern ivy lol

so far i got cornell and im pretty happy about that
i was waitlisted at columbia a little disappointed about that

but i am overall happy with cornell

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am

uhwrestler wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?


coming from the rural south my dream is to go to a big shot northeastern ivy lol

so far i got cornell and im pretty happy about that
i was waitlisted at columbia a little disappointed about that

but i am overall happy with cornell

That's a nice school to have, they were weird this year.

User avatar
alpha kenny body

Gold
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby alpha kenny body » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?


coming from the rural south my dream is to go to a big shot northeastern ivy lol

so far i got cornell and im pretty happy about that
i was waitlisted at columbia a little disappointed about that

but i am overall happy with cornell

That's a nice school to have, they were weird this year.

User avatar
sfn91

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby sfn91 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:rejected at harvard no interview....not surprised. aa 163 3.7


sorry to hear about that :(

Outside of Harvard, how is your cycle going?


coming from the rural south my dream is to go to a big shot northeastern ivy lol

so far i got cornell and im pretty happy about that
i was waitlisted at columbia a little disappointed about that

but i am overall happy with cornell


Your application must have had some really good strengths because Cornell has been very picky this year! Are you also first-generation?

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby hammy393 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 pm

New MS9 LSAT cycle data is out (does not include Feb scores): ==error==/2016-2 ... 2-24-2017/

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby MrJD2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 pm

hammy393 wrote:New MS9 LSAT cycle data is out (does not include Feb scores): ==error==/2016-2 ... 2-24-2017/


Yay!

Dip

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Dip » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I got an email from Emory but it was just to say only file is still in review :roll:



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests