URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
crookedsmile

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby crookedsmile » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 pm

dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?

I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.

I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.

Yeah this is also what I've been thinking. i just found out about the Ruby at Chicago, but a lot of my friends are still telling me that HYS would open more doors so... I go back and forth every day

Ruby is full + stipend though right? Seems like a mighty good offer to turn down :shock:

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?

I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.

I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.

Yeah this is also what I've been thinking. i just found out about the Ruby at Chicago, but a lot of my friends are still telling me that HYS would open more doors so... I go back and forth every day

Ruby is full + stipend though right? Seems like a mighty good offer to turn down :shock:

Yeah I know. I keep trying to explain to my parents that law school need based aid is completely different than undergrad but they still swear I can get close to a full ride... even after showing them the financial aid website at H and S...

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:26 pm

dinan15 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Yeah I know. I keep trying to explain to my parents that law school need based aid is completely different than undergrad but they still swear I can get close to a full ride... even after showing them the financial aid website at H and S...

Yeah, odds are you won't get a full-ride.

When do they notify? Perhaps they'll notify you soon so that can no longer be part of the argument for Harvard.

Everyone's prestige-whores basically :lol:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 pm

dinan15 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Honestly Chicago for free is better than HYS with 60 or 90k that aid usually gives lol.

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Honestly Chicago for free is better than HYS with 60 or 90k that aid usually gives lol.

would y'all take Chi though? Over H, S, AND Y?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 pm

dinan15 wrote:would y'all take Chi though? Over H, S, AND Y?

Per usual, I think this depends on career goals.

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm leaning towards private public interest orcivil rights, but I also want flexibility

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 pm

dinan15 wrote:I'm leaning towards private public interest orcivil rights, but I also want flexibility

Hm... Well if you want civil rights within fed gov't, I think DOJ Honors is usually how people get those kinds of jobs, and I'd assume that's easier to get from H/Y/S.

usaorbust

Bronze

Postby usaorbust » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:36 pm

brinicolec wrote:

What career goals, other than Chicago specific I guess, do you think Chi offers over HYS?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 pm

usaorbust wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

What career goals, other than Chicago specific I guess, do you think Chi offers over HYS?

It's not necessarily about what Chi offers OVER HYS, it's about what is available at HYS that WOULDN'T be available at Chi that is actually relevant.

If you want a job that can be achieved out of Chi for less debt, there's honestly no reason to take HYS unless you're just after the name prestige.

dinan15

New

Postby dinan15 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 pm

brinicolec wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

It's not necessarily about what Chi offers OVER HYS, it's about what is available at HYS that WOULDN'T be available at Chi that is actually relevant.

If you want a job that can be achieved out of Chi for less debt, there's honestly no reason to take HYS unless you're just after the name prestige.

Yeah, I feel like Chi offers great resources and classes and clinics and what not... so it's mostly my emotions that's making this hard

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 am

dinan15 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dinan15 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

would y'all take Chi though? Over H, S, AND Y?
[/quote]
Yes for that money is amazing. Chicago is a great school. I'd only go to HYS if they had a better chance of getting into one program that Chicago doesn't have. I would sleep easy with that Chicago money though. The only thing is I will have to learn the street code being a young black male.

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dinan15 wrote:I'm leaning towards private public interest orcivil rights, but I also want flexibility

Hm... Well if you want civil rights within fed gov't, I think DOJ Honors is usually how people get those kinds of jobs, and I'd assume that's easier to get from H/Y/S.

I worked at DOJ last year as a paralegal, and an attorney who just started working via DOJ honors went to UCONN law and clerked afterwards. Obviously better ranked schools give you better odds at certain jobs. But the other half of the equation is how successful you are at the school and in your post grad work experiences. HYS vs Georgetown? Huge gap in available opportunities. HYS vs CCN? Not as much, though HYS is still a distinct tier over CCN.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm

hammy393 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I worked at DOJ last year as a paralegal, and an attorney who just started working via DOJ honors went to UCONN law and clerked afterwards. Obviously better ranked schools give you better odds at certain jobs. But the other half of the equation is how successful you are at the school and in your post grad work experiences. HYS vs Georgetown? Huge gap in available opportunities. HYS vs CCN? Not as much, though HYS is still a distinct tier over CCN.

Here comes hammy with the sensible post.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

I just got an e-mail from NYU saying my application is still under review so I am assuming this means no AnBryce even if the invites are coming out in waves like RTK. I had given up hope on AnBryce but this just does away with the little hope I had left! Lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

hammy393 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I didn't recommend one over the other, I just said I'd assume it's easier from H/Y/S. Ultimately this is just gonna come down to school preference, I think.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I was thinking of starting a thread that lists outside scholarships for URMs that includes links on where/how to apply and deadlines, etc. Is this of interest to people and would people contribute?

Berkeley and UMich have outside agency scholarship website pages but I think it could be useful to put all the URM ones in one place. I'm not sure if other schools have websites like that but I assume some would.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:I was thinking of starting a thread that lists outside scholarships for URMs that includes links on where/how to apply and deadlines, etc. Is this of interest to people and would people contribute?

Berkeley and UMich have outside agency scholarship website pages but I think it could be useful to put all the URM ones in one place. I'm not sure if other schools have websites like that but I assume some would.

Yes! I was looking for something like that this cycle, and relied on schools' lists.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 pm

sfn91 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:I was thinking of starting a thread that lists outside scholarships for URMs that includes links on where/how to apply and deadlines, etc. Is this of interest to people and would people contribute?

Yes! I was looking for something like that this cycle, and relied on schools' lists.

great! I went ahead and got it started.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=274691
Please post some scholarships and I will add it to the list when I get the chance. If anyone thinks I should add/change anything please let me know!

Harvette

Bronze

Postby Harvette » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:00 am

Do we already have in and out thread for this cycle?

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Harvette wrote:Do we already have in and out thread for this cycle?

Not yet. I think last year's was made in late march

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:17 pm

hammy393 wrote:
Harvette wrote:Do we already have in and out thread for this cycle?

Not yet. I think last year's was made in late march

It was. Or early April...

Harvette

Bronze

Postby Harvette » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Any JS1/2 here yet? And do you mind sharing stats?

KillaKam92

New

Postby KillaKam92 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:52 pm

So I've applied to a couple schools in early February. Should I expect to hear anything before April?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:14 am

KillaKam92 wrote:So I've applied to a couple schools in early February. Should I expect to hear anything before April?

This is gonna depend on the school. Some schools get back to students fairly quickly; others make you convinced you're gonna get denied because they take so long to get back to you (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, NU. STILL LOVE YOU THOUGH, GIVE ME MONEY PLZ <3). Also, I'm not sure if most schools make it a goal to push through apps in March since a lot of seat deposits are in early-/mid-April.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?