URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AJ1010

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby AJ1010 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the congrats guys! Fingers crossed for everyone else!

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm

AJ1010 wrote:
OnlyHumean wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:Just got my JS2. I cried a little and hyperventilated a lot.

Congrats! I can imagine it being slightly overwhelming! Your top choice?

We've got pretty similar stats. but I didn't interview till late January, so if I get the call, I'm not expecting it until mid-late March. Hopfully this bodes well for me and any other URMs with JS1s.

My top choice for sure. Harvard has always been my dream school. However, I just threw in a last minute Hail Mary of a Yale application, but I'm not expecting to get in. I'm not sure what I would do if Yale accepted me.

You are me.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I also got my JS2! I literally want to tell everyone. Like, lady at dining hall says hi my first instinct is " I GOT INTO MF HARVARD"

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

azaleafire wrote:I also got my JS2! I literally want to tell everyone. Like, lady at dining hall says hi my first instinct is " I GOT INTO MF HARVARD"

Congrats!

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm

azaleafire wrote:I also got my JS2! I literally want to tell everyone. Like, lady at dining hall says hi my first instinct is " I GOT INTO MF HARVARD"

yay! congrats!!! to you and all of the URM JS2ers!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm obnoxious so I would :lol:

Congrats!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Congratulations I've been rooting for you girl!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:39 pm

brinicolec wrote:

I'm obnoxious so I would :lol:

Congrats!

I told some random black guy at a Chick-fil-A minutes after I got my decision from USC. I know you don't know me and don't care but I got into USC law. He was super happy lol.

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Congrats!

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Congrats to everyone who got js2 today's!!

Still waiting on mine
Last edited by dyebri on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

dyebri wrote:Congrats to everyone who got js2 today's!!

Still waiting on mine. I went complete on 1/17 and interview on 2/10. is it expected that I would not be in this wave. Do I still have hope.

Kinda freaking out

Yea I wouldn't worry at all. The earliest you'd probably hear back is in the mid/late March wave

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Still waiting on mine. I went complete on 1/17 and interview on 2/10. is it expected that I would not be in this wave. Do I still have hope.

Kinda freaking out

definitely relax! the fact that you had a JS1 in the first place is good news and it was not that long ago. you'll be fine

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

Kinda freaking out

definitely relax! the fact that you had a JS1 in the first place is good news and it was not that long ago. you'll be fine

Thank you guys!

latif

New

Postby latif » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:49 pm

dyebri we are in the same boat. Went complete a day after you (1/18) and interviewed on 2/8.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?

I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?

I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.

I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.

+180 to the first point. Currently weighing S against a full-ride at T10 so the conversation in the Harvard thread was really interesting and eye-opening as far as debt load.

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

You'd also have to take into account that a full ride =/ no debt. Cost of living at most T14s is about 25K. So if you get a full ride, you'd still have around 90K of debt after taking interest into account. And a decent amount of URMs are low income / have low income parents, so if you fit that bill, you'd probably get decent need-based aid packages from HYS (their average aid package is ~60K).

So the decision could realistically boil down to HYS at ~230K of debt (after 60K in aid) vs. T14 at ~90K of debt (after full ride)

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

I more or less agree with the posters above. Not all t14's are created equal, so it really depends on which one we're talking about. And I think for a variety of reasons, prestige matters more for URMs that it does for others.

Personally, I'd take sticker at HLS over a full-ride at anything below T6 (except maybe Michigan, for personal reasons) easily. For me the only tough choices would be full-rides at Columbia and NYU, as I have no real interest in Chicago (again, for personal reasons). I think I might still lean HLS in that in those cases, unless it was the Furman program at NYU (which I didn't end up applying for in the end).

I'm also not particularly debt-average, so the idea of a huge debt load doesn't strike me with paralytic fear as it seems to do to a lot of people on TLS. Law school is an investment, and if we're talking about HLS it's a damn good one at that. I've made my peace with the fact that it won't come cheap.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:43 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

I agree. Am considering paying a crazy amount for Michigan because I'm like "can I really turn down being one of few black women attending a top 10 school?" Like, I really represent! Lol

Prestige is dope, especially when it's so hard for URMs to achieve things like this

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:11 am

I am is this position now. I highly doubt I will have Harvard at sticker, just based on undergrad need based aid, but it definitely will not be cheaper than a full Darrow, and probably not a Dillard. So I am keeping my options open and visiting all the same. At the same time for personal reasons I am really leaning towards Harvard (can stay in the area, have family nearby, also ITS HARVARD). So its a really hard decision.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 am

playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

+180 to the first point. Currently weighing S against a full-ride at T10 so the conversation in the Harvard thread was really interesting and eye-opening as far as debt load.

If it was me I would take Stanford in a second at sticker just because the connections to the tech community for IP law. Also love the school and the culture.

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

If it was me I would take Stanford in a second at sticker just because the connections to the tech community for IP law. Also love the school and the culture.

If you are thinking IP law, I also think Stanford is a no brainer! I'm planning to go PI route but even then I really like that their LRAP doesn't require IBR given my mistrust with the pslf program. I go back and forth every day but I am hoping their need based aid will let me pick S and still sleep at night

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 am

playersball wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

If you are thinking IP law, I also think Stanford is a no brainer! I'm planning to go PI route but even then I really like that their LRAP doesn't require IBR given my mistrust with the pslf program. I go back and forth every day but I am hoping their need based aid will let me pick S and still sleep at night

I'm pretty sure it will. I'd take them to if I was going to PI route lol. Well I don't come from money so I would qualify. I think many URMs are the same lol.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?