URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
crookedsmile

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby crookedsmile » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:58 pm

sfn91 wrote:In better news (or perhaps sadder news) AnBryce e-mails are also out.

Seeing as to how im still UR, it ended my aspirations of being an AnBryce-er :(

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:In better news (or perhaps sadder news) AnBryce e-mails are also out.

Same. No URMs from the AnBryce posts so far.

texcellence

Bronze

Postby texcellence » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 pm

crookedsmile wrote:

same :(

abc12345678

New

Postby abc12345678 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:07 pm

texcellence wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

How long have you guys been UR? I applied 1/10 and been UR since 1/20 with zero movement :/

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:09 pm

abc12345678 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

How long have you guys been UR? I applied 1/10 and been UR since 1/20 with zero movement :/

I applied on 1/1 (the AnBryce deadline haha). UR since 1/17 with no movement.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:28 pm

sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

There are two URMs that I know of on here that got AnBryce invite

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:36 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

I got an anbryce invite. any urms get a RTK invite? i got that too and am wondering if theyll interview me on the same day. am flying from abroad and tryna get fired for taking all these days off.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:37 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

I got an anbryce invite. any urms get a RTK invite? i got that too and am wondering if theyll interview me on the same day. am flying from abroad and tryna get fired for taking all these days off.

Oops! I must've not seen your post. Congratulations! :)

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:40 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

Also received AnBryce invite

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:41 pm

sfn91 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

thanks I have a feeling that all the invites don't go out at once. I think I got notified for both RTK and Anbryce in the first waves so I would have enough time to buy flights at a reasonable price.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:

thanks I have a feeling that all the invites don't go out at once. I think I got notified for both RTK and Anbryce in the first waves so I would have enough time to buy flights at a reasonable price.

What is everyone talking about? I feel so outta the loop.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:What is everyone talking about? I feel so outta the loop.

NYU named scholarships.

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Just heard from NYU, I'm in! Nothing about AnBryce or RTK though, I didn't apply those for dumb reasons :(

Does anyone know if NYU has unnamed money to give out / is amenable to negotiation? I might try and use my Butler to see what I get.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm

OnlyHumean wrote:Just heard from NYU, I'm in! Nothing about AnBryce or RTK though, I didn't apply those for dumb reasons :(

Does anyone know if NYU has unnamed money to give out / is amenable to negotiation? I might try and use my Butler to see what I get.

Yes they give out regular merit-based aid.

Tr3

Silver

Postby Tr3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm

@AnBryce Finalists, congratulations! I recommend you read over the AB thread and post any questions you have. Current scholars and alumni will try to answer your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225234

To the person who asked about timing for RTK/AB interviews, usually they happen in the same weekend. You can communicate with whoever coordinates your AB interview to make sure, but in the past, both interviews have been conducted on the same trip.

Outside of AB info, congrats to everyone in this thread for all the success! =)

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Tr3 wrote:@AnBryce Finalists, congratulations! I recommend you read over the AB thread and post any questions you have. Current scholars and alumni will try to answer your questions.

To the person who asked about timing for RTK/AB interviews, usually they happen in the same weekend. You can communicate with whoever coordinates your AB interview to make sure, but in the past, both interviews have been conducted on the same trip.

Thanks! In the email, it was different dates from RTK but I'll ask them. Just wanted to know if that was even a possibility.

Tr3

Silver

Postby Tr3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:52 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
Tr3 wrote:@AnBryce Finalists, congratulations! I recommend you read over the AB thread and post any questions you have. Current scholars and alumni will try to answer your questions.

Thanks! In the email, it was different dates from RTK but I'll ask them. Just wanted to know if that was even a possibility.

Ah, got ya. You can still probably ask given your circumstances. They might say no, I guess, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Y'all, my head is gonna explode.

I applied to UF super-late in the cycle because I was thinking about how much I don't want to be in debt and thought they'd give me a good amount of scholly money (even though it's late in the cycle) but also how much I'd possibly enjoy Florida (especially Miami, though my understanding is that market is HARD to get into) and just got the email telling me that I'm accepted and they're offering me a scholarship for 100% of tuition --- and it will always be 100% of tuition because it's percentage-based, not value-based..............

It's, by far, the "worst"-ranked school I applied to, but also, no other school is gonna let me coast through with nothing more than CoL expenses as my debt.

I've been accepted into schools in the T14, as well as schools between T15 and T25 (with money), but would still end up having about $150k in debt based on my ~ possibly inaccurate ~ calculations at the best offer I have so far.

Assuming that I'm not able to squeeze comparable offers out of the higher-ranked schools, WWYD?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:03 pm

brinicolec wrote: WWYD?

what are your career goals again?

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 pm

brinicolec wrote:Y'all, my head is gonna explode.

I applied to UF super-late in the cycle because I was thinking about how much I don't want to be in debt and thought they'd give me a good amount of scholly money (even though it's late in the cycle) but also how much I'd possibly enjoy Florida (especially Miami, though my understanding is that market is HARD to get into) and just got the email telling me that I'm accepted and they're offering me a scholarship for 100% of tuition --- and it will always be 100% of tuition because it's percentage-based, not value-based..............

It's, by far, the "worst"-ranked school I applied to, but also, no other school is gonna let me coast through with nothing more than CoL expenses as my debt.

I've been accepted into schools in the T14, as well as schools between T15 and T25 (with money), but would still end up having about $150k in debt based on my ~ possibly inaccurate ~ calculations at the best offer I have so far.

Assuming that I'm not able to squeeze comparable offers out of the higher-ranked schools, WWYD?

I would look at employment stats before you do anything else: https://www.law.ufl.edu/law/wp-content/ ... duates.pdf

I don't know what your goals are, but if biglaw is one of them, I would go somewhere else.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

Flexible -- incredibly flexible.

BL salary sounds nice but the work sounds awful -- and the less I'm in debt, the less I think 60/70 hour weeks sound worth it. If I could find a PD-type job that doesn't kill me with a PD-type salary, that would probably be my ideal job.

I don't know what exactly my career goals are. I expect I'm one of those people who will figure it out as I take classes and realize something really interests me. I just know the things that DREW ME to law are primarily criminal law-related (death penalty, public defense, etc.). But I'm, by no means, BL or bust.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm

OnlyHumean wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Y'all, my head is gonna explode.

I would look at employment stats before you do anything else: https://www.law.ufl.edu/law/wp-content/ ... duates.pdf

I don't know what your goals are, but if biglaw is one of them, I would go somewhere else.

And if I'm not BL or bust, especially if I'm in minimal debt...?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

BL salary sounds nice but the work sounds awful -- and the less I'm in debt, the less I think 60/70 hour weeks sound worth it. If I could find a PD-type job that doesn't kill me with a PD-type salary, that would probably be my ideal job.

I don't know what exactly my career goals are. I expect I'm one of those people who will figure it out as I take classes and realize something really interests me. I just know the things that DREW ME to law are primarily criminal law-related (death penalty, public defense, etc.). But I'm, by no means, BL or bust.

Do you have a certain market you're hoping to end up in?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

you sound fairly undecided. and if that's the case I would recommend taking the middle route, the highest ranked school that provides the least amount of debt. That way you are leaving the door open for career opportunities that a school like UF would be hard to reach from and at least minimizing the amount of debt that Mich at sticker would be. Also take into consideration that if you go to UF that is probably where you will practice.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:23 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

you sound fairly undecided. and if that's the case I would recommend taking the middle route, the highest ranked school that provides the least amount of debt. That way you are leaving the door open for career opportunities that a school like UF would be hard to reach from and at least minimizing the amount of debt that Mich at sticker would be. Also take into consideration that if you go to UF that is probably where you will practice.

Idk, BL's appeal to me is really just money-based, and I, ideally, didn't want to go into this career for the money. I do have that hope of helping make a difference. I was considering BL most when I was looking at the most debt. I like the idea of having a lot of leeway in being able to take a lower-paying job (hopefully not TOO low) because I don't have over $100k of debt floating around somewhere. And I like Florida as a place to live (no snow, low cost of living - for the most part) so that's not a huge concern. It's mostly just like, "Would I be crazy to take 100% tuition at UF instead of like $150k+ of debt at a T15-T20, and if so, how crazy?" Lol

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?