URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mr_Chukes

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:06 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Also, anyone finding it increasingly difficult to listen to anecdotal stuff as you come to the realization that every cycle varies significantly for URMs AND also, I suspect there is a difference in URM boosts based on gender... which would make sense. Black women are some of the most educated in America whereas black men tend to not be as represented in higher education.

Yeah I think it would make sense that AA males get a slightly bigger boost than AA females but I don't think the difference would be drastic. There are definitely more of the latter who graduate from college and look to become professionals in different fields i.e. go to law school. A lot of issues why that is but no real need to discuss the obvious

Yeah there might be a better boost for men than women dude to supply and demand but it is likely a small difference.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 pm

brinicolec wrote:Also, anyone finding it increasingly difficult to listen to anecdotal stuff as you come to the realization that every cycle varies significantly for URMs AND also, I suspect there is a difference in URM boosts based on gender... which would make sense. Black women are some of the most educated in America whereas black men tend to not be as represented in higher education.

Well the latter is known. There is a bigger boost overall for AA Males. That's not anything new.
Also, while it is true Black women tend to have more degrees on average, to correlate that to being "more educated" is dangerous. They often get more degrees because they need them to advance, as they often aren't as employed. It's a sad situation.

As for the anecdotal stuff, I mean it's an Internet forum. Take everything with a grain of salt. That being said, (and please forgive me if I'm being a little harsh or showing a lack of empathy) - you've already received acceptance to 2 T14 schools. There are people on this forum who won't receive any. You're GPA isn't the highest (and neither it's mine, way lower than yours lol) so the LSAT and the essays play a huge role for us. I also remember reading that you didn't feel comfortable talking about about a certain situation affecting your GPA, so you didn't include it.

I don't know for certain if that was a mistake, but earlier this week I was told by an advisor my GPA addendum neede to include some uncomfortable details. I wrote every school I applied to to see if they would accept one, and they all agreed. Let's just say, it definitely helped. ALOT!!

You can't skimp out I guess and then be surprised at the results. We're already below the normal stats as it is. I'm not trying to get at you at all. But I think as URMs we can't be feeling entitled. These schools don't owe us anything.

I don't think this cycle is that much different. I'm seeing some URMs actually get consideration where historically they haven't. I'm super impressed with Chukes cycle and Stephylynettes ( I hope I spelled that right!) but I also have no doubt that they're essays were absolutely fire. Im also very happy for lsnl ( I know I'm misspelling that as well). He overcame a lower GPA and got into fantastic schools. I would suggest asking them for advice, they all clearly over performed their numbers and I'm sure they have great insight.

And if all else fails, you can always reapply. But be proud! Two acceptances-regardless of sticker at Michigan- is a blessing. I would

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:

Well the latter is known. There is a bigger boost overall for AA Males. That's not anything new.
Also, while it is true Black women tend to have more degrees on average, to correlate that to being "more educated" is dangerous. They often get more degrees because they need them to advance, as they often aren't as employed. It's a sad situation.

As for the anecdotal stuff, I mean it's an Internet forum. Take everything with a grain of salt. That being said, (and please forgive me if I'm being a little harsh or showing a lack of empathy) - you've already received acceptance to 2 T14 schools. There are people on this forum who won't receive any. You're GPA isn't the highest (and neither it's mine, way lower than yours lol) so the LSAT and the essays play a huge role for us. I also remember reading that you didn't feel comfortable talking about about a certain situation affecting your GPA, so you didn't include it.

I don't know for certain if that was a mistake, but earlier this week I was told by an advisor my GPA addendum neede to include some uncomfortable details. I wrote every school I applied to to see if they would accept one, and they all agreed. Let's just say, it definitely helped. ALOT!!

You can't skimp out I guess and then be surprised at the results. We're already below the normal stats as it is. I'm not trying to get at you at all. But I think as URMs we can't be feeling entitled. These schools don't owe us anything.

I don't think this cycle is that much different. I'm seeing some URMs actually get consideration where historically they haven't. I'm super impressed with Chukes cycle and Stephylynettes ( I hope I spelled that right!) but I also have no doubt that they're essays were absolutely fire. Im also very happy for lsnl ( I know I'm misspelling that as well). He overcame a lower GPA and got into fantastic schools. I would suggest asking them for advice, they all clearly over performed their numbers and I'm sure they have great insight.

And if all else fails, you can always reapply. But be proud! Two acceptances-regardless of sticker at Michigan- is a blessing. I would

I'm really not shy, so the issue I chose not to discuss is mental health-related. I have a diagnosed mood disorder. Seems to be controversial in the realm of the legal world, which is why I left it out. I, by no means, am complaining about my choices. Ultimately, I've decided against any school at sticker & have become content with the idea of somewhere outside of T14s but max of 25. My comment about anecdotal stuff was mostly regarding people who are like "WHAT! NO! Don't go outside of T14! Retake! Your cycle is weird!" Like damn. Can y'all let me be content with outside of T14 for less debt or nah?!?! Lol.

Like literally, I have no complaints about my cycle anymore. I don't want to wait another year, so I won't. I don't really want to retake, so I won't. I dont want to take on a lot of debt, even for a T14, so I won't. The pressure to do so on here is kinda excessive sometimes, but I just had to come back to my reality and remember y'all won't be along with me for the ride -- unless we go to the same school, then maybe. Lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:

I'm really not shy, so the issue I chose not to discuss is mental health-related. I have a diagnosed mood disorder. Seems to be controversial in the realm of the legal world, which is why I left it out. I, by no means, am complaining about my choices. Ultimately, I've decided against any school at sticker & have become content with the idea of somewhere outside of T14s but max of 25. My comment about anecdotal stuff was mostly regarding people who are like "WHAT! NO! Don't go outside of T14! Retake! Your cycle is weird!" Like damn. Can y'all let me be content with outside of T14 for less debt or nah?!?! Lol.

Like literally, I have no complaints about my cycle anymore. I don't want to wait another year, so I won't. I don't really want to retake, so I won't. I dont want to take on a lot of debt, even for a T14, so I won't. The pressure to do so on here is kinda excessive sometimes, but I just had to come back to my reality and remember y'all won't be along with me for the ride -- unless we go to the same school, then maybe. Lol

Pen-pals <3

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy with my cycle so far. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I put my apps out there thinking how if I didn't do well I would retake in June. I did work really hard on my essays and made sure to apply early. I made my personal and diversity statements have a clear theme and say what kind of person I am and how that will lead me to succeed. I appreciate all my acceptances because I know they read it and liked me for me. The odds were stacked up and I beat them. I just want to share now and encourage others to apply and not let people put them down. Pour your soul into your essays lol.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

KillaKam92 wrote:
dyebri wrote:So I'm really confused and nervous about my cycle now. I'm a MA urm with a 3.86 gpa and 170 lsat and was just waitlisted at Michigan. My personal statement was read over by multiple people and same with my diversity statement.

Some people tell me I got waitlisted because of YP but I thought the urm boost would help me more. I was wondering if Michigan is even allowed to give boosts to urm. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I'd say relax, you definitely got YP'd, nothing to worry about your numbers are incredible. Michigan does give the boost too if your wondering

thank you killakam. I heard because of that lawsuit Michigan is banned from using affirmative action and giving a boost to minorities.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Pen-pals <3

I wouldn't be opposed to it lol

lawschool2017712

Bronze

Postby lawschool2017712 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:41 pm

x
Last edited by lawschool2017712 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:39 am

lawschool2017712 wrote:Anyone else here that completed their JS1 already?

I have!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 am

I swear every week goes by so fast. Soon out cycled will be over.

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am

Cbear2017 wrote:

I have!

+1

OnlyHumean

New

Postby OnlyHumean » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:55 pm

AJ1010 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:

I have!

+1

I have to. My interviewer was so incredibly nice, I don't know how to read it. I didn't get any of the more challenging questions that others occasionally get either, just really standard stuff.

Still have no idea what it could be that separates those with JS1s who get JS2s from those who don't. It seems like it would be difficult to do particularly bad in such a short, standard interview.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Me. I thought she was just being careful when she said it would be a while until I heard... :(

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:I swear every week goes by so fast. Soon out cycled will be over.

Shit I hope so lol

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:17 pm

+1 interviewer was nice and talkative, similar to CLS interview.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:I swear every week goes by so fast. Soon out cycled will be over.

Shit I hope so lol

What schools are you waiting on lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Shit I hope so lol

Mainly Northwestern. The other ones are neither here nor there. That and scholarship info.

lawschool2017712

Bronze

Postby lawschool2017712 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:36 pm

x
Last edited by lawschool2017712 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:36 pm

lawschool2017712 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Shit I hope so lol

Mainly Northwestern. The other ones are neither here nor there. That and scholarship info.

Are you a KJD?

No.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Berkeley dings are out today!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:42 pm

sfn91 wrote:Berkeley dings are out today!

It's a pretty big wave. I keep seeing more people add on Law school numbers.

abc12345678

New

Postby abc12345678 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:

Do we think the Berk dings going out today are just for those that didn't go FR? That seems to be the mentality on the Berk 2020 forum. Terrified to check my email either way :(

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

abc12345678 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Do we think the Berk dings going out today are just for those that didn't go FR? That seems to be the mentality on the Berk 2020 forum. Terrified to check my email either way :(

I believe it is.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I just saw the berk dings

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm

In better news (or perhaps sadder news) AnBryce e-mails are also out.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?