URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mr_Chukes

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 pm

aspiringesq.elle wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:I guess that California has love for me lol. 4 outta the 7 I applied to have accepted me. Still waiting on three. I got into Pepperdine today. So far I have USC, Pepperdine, Loyola, and Chapman. Waiting on Stanford, Berkeley and UCLA.

When did you go UR at Pepperdine?

UR Monday, in Tuesday. 90k Scholarship. 30k a year.

Are you open to PM'ing me your stats?....I've been UR since 1/25

156 3.426 no shame lol
Feel free to pm me to talk about your stats and any other questions you have though.
Last edited by Mr_Chukes on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Can I ask why you're opposed to paying sticker at Mich?

Maybe because upon repayment bri would owe 288k and that's a crippling amount of debt? I'm staring at the numbers too and may have to make the same decision :/

In order for this payment to be affordable over 10 years, one would need to make $360K after law school. YIKES.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... alculator/

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/10/student- ... aw-school/

The calculation you used for this assumes a monthly/annual loan repayment that is too modest. If you're going to take out sticker at a T-14 and you're going for ( and you get) biglaw then you need to AGGRESSIVELY pay down your debt with your big law salary (including your bonuses). It means that you'd likely be putting closer to 50% of your salary towards loans annually, rather than the 10% financial advisors recommend. Unfortunately you would have to live pretty thrifty for quite a few years to pay down the debt but it can be done. And to be honest even if it is considered "thrifty", relative to some of our peers, many of us would still be earning more after tax and after loan repayments than we would have otherwise. And once the debt is paid off you can enjoy your six figure salary in full for the rest of your career. This is assuming the best case scenario though.

I think this is assuming that you'll be in BL long enough to 1) pay off loans and 2) enjoy the fruit of your labor AFTER paying off loans.

Hence why I put that last sentence. I think that there may be a dominating perception that this isn't possible on this forum when in reality it is accomplished by many people. Does this mean That you should definitely take this risk and it's always (or even most of the time) worth it? No. But it's not exactly a pipe-dream either.

My perception is that even if it were possible, paying half of your hard-earned (and I mean HARD-earned) salary on debt is, in no way, going to be conducive for living happily -- at least in my case. I can see living somewhat below your means to pay off debt, but when I get into the idea of having more money than I've ever had but living like I'm broker than I've ever been, that's where it seems like more of a killer of happiness than a reasonable plan. Plus, what's the point of going to a school that guarantees BL for the BL salary (and/or exit options) for EXTREME amounts of debt when you won't see a BL salary for YEARS or be able to enjoy most of those exit options unless you're able to find a job that pays the same or better as soon as you start there?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Maybe because upon repayment bri would owe 288k and that's a crippling amount of debt? I'm staring at the numbers too and may have to make the same decision :/

In order for this payment to be affordable over 10 years, one would need to make $360K after law school. YIKES.

The calculation you used for this assumes a monthly/annual loan repayment that is too modest. If you're going to take out sticker at a T-14 and you're going for ( and you get) biglaw then you need to AGGRESSIVELY pay down your debt with your big law salary (including your bonuses). It means that you'd likely be putting closer to 50% of your salary towards loans annually, rather than the 10% financial advisors recommend. Unfortunately you would have to live pretty thrifty for quite a few years to pay down the debt but it can be done. And to be honest even if it is considered "thrifty", relative to some of our peers, many of us would still be earning more after tax and after loan repayments than we would have otherwise. And once the debt is paid off you can enjoy your six figure salary in full for the rest of your career. This is assuming the best case scenario though.

I think this is assuming that you'll be in BL long enough to 1) pay off loans and 2) enjoy the fruit of your labor AFTER paying off loans.

Hence why I put that last sentence. I think that there may be a dominating perception that this isn't possible on this forum when in reality it is accomplished by many people. Does this mean That you should definitely take this risk and it's always (or even most of the time) worth it? No. But it's not exactly a pipe-dream either.

My perception is that even if it were possible, paying half of your hard-earned (and I mean HARD-earned) salary on debt is, in no way, going to be conducive for living happily -- at least in my case. I can see living somewhat below your means to pay off debt, but when I get into the idea of having more money than I've ever had but living like I'm broker than I've ever been, that's where it seems like more of a killer of happiness than a reasonable plan. Plus, what's the point of going to a school that guarantees BL for the BL salary (and/or exit options) for EXTREME amounts of debt when you won't see a BL salary for YEARS or be able to enjoy most of those exit options unless you're able to find a job that pays the same or better as soon as you start there?

+180 Happiness is a key factor. Chasing money won't always get you where you want to be lol.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

And putting 50% of your salary toward loans annually is not "affordable" which is what the calculator was going for anyway. Possibility was not the issue at hand.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:+180 Happiness is a key factor. Chasing money won't always get you where you want to be lol.

Don't get me wrong. I like money as much (or maybe more) than the next person. I have this REAL intention of being able to ca$h out and be independent forever if I want to (stronger independent woman who don't need no man lol), but I'm also someone who's been unhappy in situations enough to know that I'd rather not have to dream of someday NOT drowning in debt as the highlight of my life.

Edit: Naturally how much debt is reasonable/comfortable for someone is a personal decision. I don't think there's a magic # (although I wish there were). Realistically speaking, it's possible I'd be willing to take on that much in debt at a different school (think T6), but even then, I'd be very hesitant.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:+180 Happiness is a key factor. Chasing money won't always get you where you want to be lol.

Don't get me wrong. I like money as much (or maybe more) than the next person. I have this REAL intention of being able to ca$h out and be independent forever if I want to (stronger independent woman who don't need no man lol), but I'm also someone who's been unhappy in situations enough to know that I'd rather not have to dream of someday NOT drowning in debt as the highlight of my life.

Edit: Naturally how much debt is reasonable/comfortable for someone is a personal decision. I don't think there's a magic # (although I wish there were). Realistically speaking, it's possible I'd be willing to take on that much in debt at a different school (think T6), but even then, I'd be very hesitant.

The only school I would pay sticker for is Stanford. I'd probably qualify for need base aid though. Yeah I know I am use to living off 16,000 a year and I would be getting paid way more. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to have to think about almost 300k debt everyday. I don't want to be at work and think to myself, shit I need to stay here so I can pay that off.

Mrocky2

New

Postby Mrocky2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:

As you should be! I second this all the way

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Bri I'm not trying to advocate you or anyone else to take this choice necessarily (I actually go with the traditional TLS mantra of retake, within reason, until you're happy with your options). However I'm just trying to make it clear that it isn't an unreasonable investment, especially considering that for many of us the T-14 ( or T-13 anyways) is the surest chance to pull ourselves from lower classes to upper middle class. Whether you'd be willing to put up with living your life in a manner to make this decision work is very much up to the individual. I for example, do not have any significant other, or kids, I'm young and I come from little money and I have good work ethic. Given these factors, and others, i personally wouldn't see T-14 plus BL for a few years to service that debt as losing outcome. For many people on this forum they do. It is ultimately a very personal decision.

P.S.I stalk this forum a lot and I've seen your stats and your current outcome this cycle and I think you really underperformed. I would absolutely not suggest that you take t-14 at sticker because you should definitely be able to get significant scholly at a few of them. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't even retake I would just work for another year fine tune my apps and apply on September 1st. (Obviously retake if you feel you can improve and you don't mind suffering through the test again but your score plus your urm status should get you a much better outcome than what you got this cycle).

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:23 pm

:o
Last edited by chasima on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm

On the debt topic...

I think it largely comes down to the type of person you are and what your end-goals are. Some people are super debt-averse that just the mere thought of having a quarter million dollars looming over their heads is enough to send them to the asylum. Others are comfortable living their life and paying it as they go (as interest accrues). My sister and her husband are stark opposites. She went to Columbia with very little aid (30k total) and he to NYU with basically the same amount (45K). My sister is utterly miserable and wants to pay things off ASAP, while he is not stressing himself over it too much. Both are in BL, btw.

Bottom line is, most people come out of law school (and other types of professional school like medical school/business school) pretty heavily in debt (contrary to what TLS makes you believe). You just have to know yourself and what ultimately makes you happy.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm chiming in to say I really, really have to agree with you here. I think it's really hard to fully grasp what it feels like to pay back a ton of loans when you have not had to do it before. I know I'm making some assumptions here, but speaking from experience as someone who somehow got through undergrad working 2 jobs, making up the rest of tuition with terrible private loans because of limited options (long story for why this was the case), I can tell you it's really demoralizing to not only see so much of the money you're working very hard to earn go toward a colossal debt payment every month, but also worry about temporarily giving up on a safety net financially, putting off things like saving up for big purchases (house, wedding, car, etc), and just simple luxuries for so long, and having to explain to people who see you working all the time and making good money why you can't do simple things like go out for nice dinners every now and then, have drinks, whatever. There are threads on here that break the math down, I think they're very helpful for additional perspective, imo.[/quote]

^^ my sister's sentiments completely.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:On the debt topic...

I think it largely comes down to the type of person you are and what your end-goals are. Some people are super debt-averse that just the mere thought of having a quarter million dollars looming over their heads is enough to send them to the asylum. Others are comfortable living their life and paying it as they go (as interest accrues). My sister and her husband are stark opposites. She went to Columbia with very little aid (30k total) and he to NYU with basically the same amount (45K). My sister is utterly miserable and wants to pay things off ASAP, while he is not stressing himself over it too much. Both are in BL, btw.

Bottom line is, most people come out of law school (and other types of professional school like medical school/business school) pretty heavily in debt (contrary to what TLS makes you believe). You just have to know yourself and what ultimately makes you happy.

+1 Bro this is the point I was trying to make. I think people thought that because I was giving an alternative view on debt that I was suggesting that people should take it on without any worries and that's not what I was saying :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
P.S.I stalk this forum a lot and I've seen your stats and your current outcome this cycle and I think you really underperformed. I would absolutely not suggest that you take t-14 at sticker because you should definitely be able to get significant scholly at a few of them. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't even retake I would just work for another year fine tune my apps and apply on September 1st. (Obviously retake if you feel you can improve and you don't mind suffering through the test again but your score plus your urm status should get you a much better outcome than what you got this cycle).

Based on LSN, I don't really know if I think it's a matter of underperforming. I think this is a bad cycle for my GPA/LSAT combo. I also mark multiple races on apps (only one which is considered URM), wonder if that matters.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:On the debt topic...

+1 Bro this is the point I was trying to make. I think people thought that because I was giving an alternative view on debt that I was suggesting that people should take it on without any worries and that's not what I was saying :lol:

LOL I totally didn't even see your post!! YES I agree!!!!!!!!!

There's no standard for this type of stuff. It depends so much on your personal comfort, current debt situation, career choice, SCHOOL, etc. People just need to do what works for them so long as it is a wise, well-thought out decision.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

Based on LSN, I don't really know if I think it's a matter of underperforming. I think this is a bad cycle for my GPA/LSAT combo. I also mark multiple races on apps (only one which is considered URM), wonder if that matters.

Hmm it might have. If you don't mind me asking, what are you mixed as?

I also think this has just been a harsh/unusual cycle in general for URMs though.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Postby 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
Bri I'm not trying to advocate you or anyone else to take this choice necessarily (I actually go with the traditional TLS mantra of retake, within reason, until you're happy with your options). However I'm just trying to make it clear that it isn't an unreasonable investment, especially considering that for many of us the T-14 ( or T-13 anyways) is the surest chance to pull ourselves from lower classes to upper middle class. Whether you'd be willing to put up with living your life in a manner to make this decision work is very much up to the individual. I for example, do not have any significant other, or kids, I'm young and I come from little money and I have good work ethic. Given these factors, and others, i personally wouldn't see T-14 plus BL for a few years to service that debt as losing outcome. For many people on this forum they do. It is ultimately a very personal decision.

straight factz...how'd i miss this? LOL

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:I guess that California has love for me lol. 4 outta the 7 I applied to have accepted me. Still waiting on three. I got into Pepperdine today. So far I have USC, Pepperdine, Loyola, and Chapman. Waiting on Stanford, Berkeley and UCLA.

156 3.426 no shame lol
Feel free to pm me to talk about your stats and any other questions you have though.

Yo'
Can I PM as well?
I have a similar GPA and I think I will end up with an LSAT around your range. I'm applying next cycle though lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:

156 3.426 no shame lol

Yo'
Can I PM as well?
I have a similar GPA and I think I will end up with an LSAT around your range. I'm applying next cycle though lol

Yeah sure lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

I also think this has just been a harsh/unusual cycle in general for URMs though.

Black, Japanese, and white. Really, you can primarily tell because I'm lighter-skinned and some people can see the Asian in my face, but other than that, I look more like a light-skinned black woman than anything else.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

Black, Japanese, and white. Really, you can primarily tell because I'm lighter-skinned and some people can see the Asian in my face, but other than that, I look more like a light-skinned black woman than anything else.

So I'm going to say this with no offense intended, but if you do reapply just put black. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't embrace the other aspects of your race nor that you shouldn't let people know who you are and that you're proud to be you. But you really should put black just to game the system deadass :lol:

If I were in your shoes I would. If you feel like it's dishonest or you're not comfortable with doing that then I understand. But to me, doing that, plus fine tuning your apps would put HYS in contention for you, let alone scholly from the T-14.

And it isn't lying technically. It would just be how you choose to identify yourself in the moment that you complete your applications. And you are part black, so it's not like you're pulling something out of your ass. :lol:

Might as well get used to using loopholes to your advantage now since you'll probably be doing it a lot as a lawyer. :lol:

I know I will lol.
Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:17 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

So I'm going to say this with no offense intended, but if you do reapply just put black. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't embrace the other aspects of your race nor that you shouldn't let people know who you are and that you're proud to be you. But you really should put black just to game the system deadass :lol:

If I were in your shoes I would. If you feel like it's dishonest or you're not comfortable with doing that then I understand. But to me, doing that, plus fine tuning your apps would make HYS in contention for you, let alone scholly from the T-14.

And it isn't lying technically. It would just be how you choose to identify yourself in the moment that you complete your applications. And you are part black, so it's not like you're pulling something out of your ass. :lol:

Are you sure you've seen my stats because I don't have Y/S stats lol. And yeah, idk about doing that.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

If I were in your shoes I would. If you feel like it's dishonest or you're not comfortable with doing that then I understand. But to me, doing that, plus fine tuning your apps would make HYS in contention for you, let alone scholly from the T-14.

Are you sure you've seen my stats because I don't have Y/S stats lol. And yeah, idk about doing that.

Well I just named the trio. I really mean H mainly. Although it would surprise me if no AA URM EVER got into Y or S with your stats (or somewhere in the ballpark of your stats anyways). But what are your stats? I might be misremembering.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:43 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:

Well I just named the trio. I really mean H mainly. Although it would surprise me if no AA URM EVER got into Y or S with your stats (or somewhere in the ballpark of your stats anyways). But what are your stats? I might be misremembering.

Y/S do not boost URMs as hard because they take the URMs with comparable stats to their normal applicants.

As for you brinicolec, I didn't know you were mixed. Personally, I wouldn't consider you a URM unless you were mixed with two different URM groups. That's just my take. I think I read somewhere on this forum that mixed URMs don't get as much of a boost. Your LSAT was like a 169 right? Your cycle should have been better

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

PrezRand wrote:Y/S do not boost URMs as hard because they take the URMs with comparable stats to their normal applicants.

As for you brinicolec, I didn't know you were mixed. Personally, I wouldn't consider you a URM unless you were mixed with two different URM groups. That's just my take. I think I read somewhere on this forum that mixed URMs don't get as much of a boost. Your LSAT was like a 169 right? Your cycle should have been better

Meh, I'd argue that it depends on what I identify with most/am identified as most (which would be black). I really don't receive any of the benefits of being white or Asian at all.

And no, my LSAT was a 167 and my GPA is below 25ths.

Mrocky2

New

Postby Mrocky2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Huh?!?!? Since when do you need two URM groups to be a URM, Idk the breakdown nor does it matter, but certainly if you're half black, 1/4 white and 1/4 Asian you're a URM

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?