URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sfn91

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Postby sfn91 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 am

dyebri wrote:I had a HARVARD interview yesterday and I don't feel too good about it. The interview was rushed because my interviweer was late and we were only able to speak for 10 minutes. I wanted to see how much of a deal breaker is the interview

When did you go complete/get your JS1?

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 am

sfn91 wrote:
dyebri wrote:I had a HARVARD interview yesterday and I don't feel too good about it. The interview was rushed because my interviweer was late and we were only able to speak for 10 minutes. I wanted to see how much of a deal breaker is the interview

When did you go complete/get your JS1?

went complete the jan 15 got my JS first week of feb

lnsl123

Bronze

Postby lnsl123 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 am

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:04 am

Dear Harvard,

Ding me, or interview me. Pick one. This silence is going to be the death of me.

xoxo
Picquery

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 am

S.Picquery wrote:Dear Harvard,

Ding me, or interview me. Pick one. This silence is going to be the death of me.

xoxo
Picquery

+1000

ravenamo

New

Postby ravenamo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far! It's such a huge inspiration for me right now. I decided to sit out this cycle to take some time to improve my LSAT score and I felt down about it for a little bit but this thread really gives me so much hope, so thanks for sharing your journeys and good luck with the rest of the cycle! :)

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm

ravenamo wrote:Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far! It's such a huge inspiration for me right now. I decided to sit out this cycle to take some time to improve my LSAT score and I felt down about it for a little bit but this thread really gives me so much hope, so thanks for sharing your journeys and good luck with the rest of the cycle! :)

Good luck!!

latif

New

Postby latif » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Getting emails from Yale telling me to apply, its been 3 so far, the latest from a URM grad, whats going on are they padding their stats or......

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:46 pm

latif wrote:Getting emails from Yale telling me to apply, its been 3 so far, the latest from a URM grad, whats going on are they padding their stats or......

They're padding their stats.

latif

New

Postby latif » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
latif wrote:Getting emails from Yale telling me to apply, its been 3 so far, the latest from a URM grad, whats going on are they padding their stats or......

So I have no chance? I've seen URMs with worse stats get in this cycle.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm

latif wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I didn't say you had no chance. You have a lesser chance than if you applies earlier, but everyone has a chance. If you think you might get in, go for it. It's a $30 gamble that could change your life (assuming there's a fee waiver)

scoot456

New

Postby scoot456 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:21 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
latif wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I didn't say you had no chance. You have a lesser chance than if you applies earlier, but everyone has a chance. If you think you might get in, go for it. It's a $30 gamble that could change your life (assuming there's a fee waiver)

Actually, the way that Yale's application review process works, your chances are the same no matter when you apply. But remember, your chances, regardless of your stats or status, are very slim no matter what. Apply if you want to. Always worth knowing which doors are closed.

latif

New

Postby latif » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:23 pm

scoot456 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
latif wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Actually, the way that Yale's application review process works, your chances are the same no matter when you apply. But remember, your chances, regardless of your stats or status, are very slim no matter what. Apply if you want to. Always worth knowing which doors are closed.

Thanks, gonna send one out, why not

scoot456

New

Postby scoot456 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:26 pm

latif wrote:
scoot456 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
latif wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Thanks, gonna send one out, why not

Woot!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:38 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:Definitely feel like the cycle is picking up. I've heard from one school each day this week. Anyone else feeling the same?

nah I'm dying over here, haha. PS did your NYU UR date change soon before the acceptance call?

I think my last UR date was a few days before. Like 2/4 maybe.

Congratulations on Penn and NYU!

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Am I a dumb idiot for not writing a diversity statement? I touched on my ethnicity briefly in my PS (###latinidad###) but now I'm regretting not actually writing a diversity statement that addresses head-on the impact that being Latina has had on me (in ways that I keep discovering even now as an adult). This has been haunting me worse than every photograph ever taken of me in middle school. So I'm trying to decide if maybe in like March I should send a diversity statement to schools I haven't heard from? I just sent in an update super recently about a conference I got accepted to so idk what to do UGH help pls or alternatively cry while eating bread with me

DriveLikeNashvillian

New

Postby DriveLikeNashvillian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am

notorious_mig wrote:Am I a dumb idiot for not writing a diversity statement? I touched on my ethnicity briefly in my PS (###latinidad###) but now I'm regretting not actually writing a diversity statement that addresses head-on the impact that being Latina has had on me (in ways that I keep discovering even now as an adult). This has been haunting me worse than every photograph ever taken of me in middle school. So I'm trying to decide if maybe in like March I should send a diversity statement to schools I haven't heard from? I just sent in an update super recently about a conference I got accepted to so idk what to do UGH help pls or alternatively cry while eating bread with me

I definitely think it was a mistake not to write one... but I wouldn't worry too too much about it. In the end, whatever schools you're applying to get to add one additional person of an underrepresented ethnic background by admitting you, which is what they care about most. If there are any schools you think you're a very borderline or reach candidate, that might be an area where not having written a diversity statement to push you over the edge could bite you, though.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:35 am

DriveLikeNashvillian wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Am I a dumb idiot for not writing a diversity statement? I touched on my ethnicity briefly in my PS (###latinidad###) but now I'm regretting not actually writing a diversity statement that addresses head-on the impact that being Latina has had on me (in ways that I keep discovering even now as an adult). This has been haunting me worse than every photograph ever taken of me in middle school. So I'm trying to decide if maybe in like March I should send a diversity statement to schools I haven't heard from? I just sent in an update super recently about a conference I got accepted to so idk what to do UGH help pls or alternatively cry while eating bread with me

I definitely think it was a mistake not to write one... but I wouldn't worry too too much about it. In the end, whatever schools you're applying to get to add one additional person of an underrepresented ethnic background by admitting you, which is what they care about most. If there are any schools you think you're a very borderline or reach candidate, that might be an area where not having written a diversity statement to push you over the edge could bite you, though.

Damn. Do you think it's too late to send one in? Slash is it too soon after sending my conference update this week?

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 pm

notorious_mig wrote:

Damn. Do you think it's too late to send one in? Slash is it too soon after sending my conference update this week?

Are your applications already under review?

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:06 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnsl123

Bronze

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:30 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:Definitely feel like the cycle is picking up. I've heard from one school each day this week. Anyone else feeling the same?

nah I'm dying over here, haha. PS did your NYU UR date change soon before the acceptance call?

I think my last UR date was a few days before. Like 2/4 maybe.

Congratulations on Penn and NYU!

Thanks!! Have some hard choices to make.

I'm praying Columbia gives you enough money with you being in NYC right now lol. Hope my cycle will start to take off as well.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

sfn91 wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:

Are your applications already under review?

They are, I applied everywhere late October/early November

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm

chasima wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:

I sent in diversity statements to a few schools after I had been in review for like 3 months and they all got back to me within 24 hours letting me know they'd added it to my file. If you haven't gotten a decision yet, just send it to the admissions office and ask for them to add it.

eta: I have no idea if they will care, but I think the worst case scenario (them not accepting you because you sent them updates on your file too frequently) sounds a bit extreme. but idk.

Omg that is really really really good to know...I think I'll crank out a solid diversity statement this weekend and send it in to the schools I'm waiting on still. Thank you so much!!!

chasima

Bronze

Postby chasima » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?