URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brinicolec

Gold

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:41 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?
I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.
I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.
+180 to the first point. Currently weighing S against a full-ride at T10 so the conversation in the Harvard thread was really interesting and eye-opening as far as debt load.
If it was me I would take Stanford in a second at sticker just because the connections to the tech community for IP law. Also love the school and the culture.
If you are thinking IP law, I also think Stanford is a no brainer! I'm planning to go PI route but even then I really like that their LRAP doesn't require IBR given my mistrust with the pslf program. I go back and forth every day but I am hoping their need based aid will let me pick S and still sleep at night
I'm pretty sure it will. I'd take them to if I was going to PI route lol. Well I don't come from money so I would qualify. I think many URMs are the same lol.
I think it depends, for me, on whether or not they consider parental income for need-based.

I am in SERIOUS need (lol), but my dad makes six-figures (even though they're paying off their own debt so it's not like they're seeing much of that money anyway).

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

In my case my father is retired and my Mom is underemployed. I also make peanuts lol.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Saw this discussion in the Harvard thread and wanted to see the URM perspective. Would you turn down Harvard at sticker for a full, or partial scholly at t-14 or t1?
I think it depends on which T-14. If it were a free ride at Georgetown versus Harvard, it would be easy to pick Harvard. If it were a full ride at Columbia or Chicago then that would be a lot harder of a decision and I'm almost certain I would go with one of the C's. "Lucky" for me, my stats will preclude me from having that problem.
I feel like as URMs, prestige matters more (the whole you have to work twice as hard to get the same amount of respect), so turning down harvard would be difficult. At the same time. no debt from a top school would feel amazing. Honestly, no debt for law school in general sounds amazing.
+180 to the first point. Currently weighing S against a full-ride at T10 so the conversation in the Harvard thread was really interesting and eye-opening as far as debt load.
If it was me I would take Stanford in a second at sticker just because the connections to the tech community for IP law. Also love the school and the culture.
If you are thinking IP law, I also think Stanford is a no brainer! I'm planning to go PI route but even then I really like that their LRAP doesn't require IBR given my mistrust with the pslf program. I go back and forth every day but I am hoping their need based aid will let me pick S and still sleep at night
I'm pretty sure it will. I'd take them to if I was going to PI route lol. Well I don't come from money so I would qualify. I think many URMs are the same lol.
I think it depends, for me, on whether or not they consider parental income for need-based.

I am in SERIOUS need (lol), but my dad makes six-figures (even though they're paying off their own debt so it's not like they're seeing much of that money anyway).[/quote]

Lol same. My Dad is retired military and currently makes six figures. But my mom is unemployed and my older sister is heavily dependent on them and they're not gonna be able to help me with anything so my need is REAL. In my case, I think Duke recognized this need and, despite the facial value of my parent's income, gave me a significant amount of need based aid.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Is weird that I find this thread to be:

A) the least coherent thread anywhere on TLS and
B) my absolute favorite thread anywhere on TLS
?

playersball

Bronze

Post by playersball » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukez wrote: I'm pretty sure it will. I'd take them to if I was going to PI route lol. Well I don't come from money so I would qualify. I think many URMs are the same lol.

I am in SERIOUS need (lol), but my dad makes six-figures (even though they're paying off their own debt so it's not like they're seeing much of that money anyway).
Lol same. My Dad is retired military and currently makes six figures. But my mom is unemployed and my older sister is heavily dependent on them and they're not gonna be able to help me with anything so my need is REAL. In my case, I think Duke recognized this need and, despite the facial value of my parent's income, gave me a significant amount of need based aid.
I'm in a similar place, my parents don't make a ton but they live comfortably. Still I wont be getting help from them, so it really comes down to how generous Stanford is. There isn't a ton of info on what $$s I could be looking at, but I know I am young enough that they are going to consider my parents income. I was really thinking I would have more scholarship information by now- not from S but a few other schools!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

playersball wrote:
Stephylynette wrote: Lol same. My Dad is retired military and currently makes six figures. But my mom is unemployed and my older sister is heavily dependent on them and they're not gonna be able to help me with anything so my need is REAL. In my case, I think Duke recognized this need and, despite the facial value of my parent's income, gave me a significant amount of need based aid.
I'm in a similar place, my parents don't make a ton but they live comfortably. Still I wont be getting help from them, so it really comes down to how generous Stanford is. There isn't a ton of info on what $$s I could be looking at, but I know I am young enough that they are going to consider my parents income. I was really thinking I would have more scholarship information by now- not from S but a few other schools!
@Stephy my dad is actually currently in the military and because of that, my mom isn't employed either. She was a teacher, though, so she wasn't making a crazy amount of money either way. But yeah, they're paying off loans and stuff and I think my dad is gonna wanna retire in a couple years so they're gonna wanna buy a house soon so I'm not expecting any kind of help lol

@playersball Yeah, some schools are really slow with the releasing of scholly info. It's kinda weird. I wonder if it's a way of trying to make it so we don't have much time to try to negotiate lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 pm

TripleM wrote:Is weird that I find this thread to be:

A) the least coherent thread anywhere on TLS and
B) my absolute favorite thread anywhere on TLS
?
No this thread is awesome lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 pm

brinicolec wrote:
playersball wrote:
Stephylynette wrote: Lol same. My Dad is retired military and currently makes six figures. But my mom is unemployed and my older sister is heavily dependent on them and they're not gonna be able to help me with anything so my need is REAL. In my case, I think Duke recognized this need and, despite the facial value of my parent's income, gave me a significant amount of need based aid.
@Stephy my dad is actually currently in the military and because of that, my mom isn't employed either. She was a teacher, though, so she wasn't making a crazy amount of money either way. But yeah, they're paying off loans and stuff and I think my dad is gonna wanna retire in a couple years so they're gonna wanna buy a house soon so I'm not expecting any kind of help lol

@playersball Yeah, some schools are really slow with the releasing of scholly info. It's kinda weird. I wonder if it's a way of trying to make it so we don't have much time to try to negotiate lol.
I feel that is 100% the case. They make you have to think fast if you want to go to that school and just take the offer lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
playersball wrote:

I feel that is 100% the case. They make you have to think fast if you want to go to that school and just take the offer lol.
It's also a way to keep themselves from being a bargaining chip....

Annoying :roll: lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Also, I don't think I actually answered the Harvard question:

If we're working under the assumption of a FULL scholly at say... a T6 or sticker at Harvard, I'd pick the full scholly, especially because I'm not aiming for any kind of unicorn job or something. If we're working under the assumption of a PARTIAL scholly to a T6 and sticker at Harvard, I'd have to do some debt comparison, but I still think I'd be okay with taking the T6 just because I don't really think, for what I want to do at least, Harvard is going to give me a huge leg up in anything. If anything, it's more of a prestige thing (because it's Harvard). But I mean, Columbia and NYU are impressive schools to people too lol.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm

For me, I'd take Harvard at sticker unless I got a full-ride at UVA, Duke, or UT.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
playersball wrote:

It's also a way to keep themselves from being a bargaining chip....

Annoying :roll: lol
Berkeley been on that. I was peeping through last years thread lol.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:56 pm

How do you all feel about H at sticker vs. full at Berkeley? Not that I find myself in this situation yet (still sans a J2 and only have a BLOS invite).

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:59 pm

crookedsmile wrote:How do you all feel about H at sticker vs. full at Berkeley? Not that I find myself in this situation yet (still sans a J2 and only have a BLOS invite).
I think it depends on what you want to do. If your chasing SCOTUS, Harvard. DA in NorCal, Berkeley for free. Those are extremes but I think its entirely up to one's career goals.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:How do you all feel about H at sticker vs. full at Berkeley? Not that I find myself in this situation yet (still sans a J2 and only have a BLOS invite).
I think it depends on what you want to do. If your chasing SCOTUS, Harvard. DA in NorCal, Berkeley for free. Those are extremes but I think its entirely up to one's career goals.
Def not thinking DA or any gov't type position. I'm leaning more towards transactional business or commercial litigation.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:07 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Def not thinking DA or any gov't type position. I'm leaning more towards transactional business or commercial litigation.
So Biglaw? That's tough. I think you could get there from Berkeley but it would be easier through Harvard. Yet, from Berkeley your making a lot of money and not worrying about paying back debt.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:12 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
So Biglaw? That's tough. I think you could get there from Berkeley but it would be easier through Harvard. Yet, from Berkeley your making a lot of money and not worrying about paying back debt.
Yup, BigLaw. What complicates things for me is that as a B alum, I have ties to NorCal and SoCal but the prestige and doors of opportunity that only come with the H degree really pull at my URM ambitious nature.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Yup, BigLaw. What complicates things for me is that as a B alum, I have ties to NorCal and SoCal but the prestige and doors of opportunity that only come with the H degree really pull at my URM ambitious nature.
I think I would personally choose H. H leaves the door open for academia, which sort of interests me, and leaves the door more open than B would for more prestigious positions and unicorn opportunities. I doubt I will have that choice though, but I think it just comes down to personal preferences.

edit: then again, I have no idea what six figures of debt feels like and I don't think any of us do

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm

I'd like to announce that I have decided I won't be applying to Yale. Lol. I need to buy a new suit for interviews and save up for moving costs. (First-generation URM struggle is real.)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 pm

sfn91 wrote:I'd like to announce that I have decided I won't be applying to Yale. Lol. I need to buy a new suit for interviews and save up for moving costs. (First-generation URM struggle is real.)
I'm not a college first-gen but I'm a law school first-gen and even as such, it's a huge pain. I have no idea what I need or how to decide where to go and my parents can't be of much help because they know considerably less than I do.

They've defaulted into "We'll support whatever you choose. Just make sure you're making your choice for the right reason (aka don't be so debt-averse)"

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:
sfn91 wrote:I'd like to announce that I have decided I won't be applying to Yale. Lol. I need to buy a new suit for interviews and save up for moving costs. (First-generation URM struggle is real.)
I'm not a college first-gen but I'm a law school first-gen and even as such, it's a huge pain. I have no idea what I need or how to decide where to go and my parents can't be of much help because they know considerably less than I do.

They've defaulted into "We'll support whatever you choose. Just make sure you're making your choice for the right reason (aka don't be so debt-averse)"
Totally. The self-education is a task in and of itself. What did URMs do before the internet!?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

sfn91 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Totally. The self-education is a task in and of itself. What did URMs do before the internet!?
I'm assuming panic. Because I'm panicking and I have access to not only the internet, but this forum full of information lol.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm Sudanese and I pulled out the Darfur card for need-based aid y'all. Shit is real in these skreets.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:I'm Sudanese and I pulled out the Darfur card for need-based aid y'all. Shit is real in these skreets.
Lmao you gotta do what you gotta do

dinan15

New

Post by dinan15 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Yeah this is also what I've been thinking. i just found out about the Ruby at Chicago, but a lot of my friends are still telling me that HYS would open more doors so... I go back and forth every day

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”