URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
20171lhopeful

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by 20171lhopeful » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 pm

playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
This is exactly what I feared. Everyone talks about reapplying but it isn't always the best option. I have always been afraid of reapplying and doing worse or just getting a few points more on my LSAT and getting the same results.

I think that for non-URM applicants it might be that straightforward. Like a 165 to a 168 (or in my case a 163 to mid 16X) might open more doors and push you into a better school. BUT because URMs have such unpredictable cycles and because I think our processes are highly holistic/dependent on competition with other URMs, it's not as simple as reapply with a better lsat - unless someone can break from 160s to past 170 I would think.

I do have like 8 schools to hear back from, but unless a t6 gives me money or I magically land Yale, I probably wont be that much happier with my choices than I was last year. I'm just happy I graduated from college early for my M.A. so I still feel like I'm "on track".
Agreed.[/quote]

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you guys mean by dependent on competition with other URMs?

I will go ahead and check in too since my cycle is almost over!

MA URM
In at: USC, UCLA, Cornell, Georgetown, Duke, UVA, Berkeley, UMich, Chicago, NYU, Stanford
WL at Penn
Pending: H

It sounds like there are many of us having great cycles![/quote]

As URMs I don't think we're being compared to non-URM applicants, but instead being judged against other URMs. I think it's not just about how good our stats are, but how good they are relative to other URM applicants.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 pm

PrezRand wrote:Idk if I could reapply after one cycle. My parents would be angry too.

I'm pretty hypercritical of myself so my parents usually don't nag at me too much about anything. Perk: no nagging. Drawback: hypercriticalness lol

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
This is exactly what I feared. Everyone talks about reapplying but it isn't always the best option. I have always been afraid of reapplying and doing worse or just getting a few points more on my LSAT and getting the same results.

I think that for non-URM applicants it might be that straightforward. Like a 165 to a 168 (or in my case a 163 to mid 16X) might open more doors and push you into a better school. BUT because URMs have such unpredictable cycles and because I think our processes are highly holistic/dependent on competition with other URMs, it's not as simple as reapply with a better lsat - unless someone can break from 160s to past 170 I would think.

I do have like 8 schools to hear back from, but unless a t6 gives me money or I magically land Yale, I probably wont be that much happier with my choices than I was last year. I'm just happy I graduated from college early for my M.A. so I still feel like I'm "on track".
Agreed.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you guys mean by dependent on competition with other URMs?

MA URM
In at: USC, UCLA, Cornell, Georgetown, Duke, UVA, Berkeley, UMich, Chicago, NYU, Stanford
WL at Penn
[/quote]

As a URM you are fighting other URMs for spots. I bet you have great stats as well lol. I think my cycle is going well. I just applied to see how it was and if I didn't get into any good schools I was gonna reapply. I like this cycle though.[/quote]

Basically this. A few older threads have gone over the numbers/scores of URMs, and how relatively small our populations are compared to non-URMs. I think I saw the breakdown somewhere was that there were around 170 AA students at T14 schools, with 53 at Harvard and like 25 at Columbia (this was 2014 or something). I imagine for Hispanic URMs (MA + PR) the numbers are less and even less with NA. So basically the t14 fight for top URM applicants, and then there's a trickle down effect, with lower ranked schools taking URMs with lower and lower numbers to keep a diverse population.

But I've heard and I would imagine that for us as applicants we're not necessarily looked at against non-URM students, but against other students in our demographics/race, which makes sense. I think I said this earlier, but in an admissions book they mention how a non spanish speaking hispanic might be "diverse enough" for chicago or mich, but not for a school on either coast.

And congrats! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear back from basically all those minus the cali schools.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 pm

bunney_j wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:

Agreed.

MA URM
WL at Penn
As a URM you are fighting other URMs for spots. I bet you have great stats as well lol. I think my cycle is going well. I just applied to see how it was and if I didn't get into any good schools I was gonna reapply. I like this cycle though.[/quote]

Basically this. A few older threads have gone over the numbers/scores of URMs, and how relatively small our populations are compared to non-URMs. I think I saw the breakdown somewhere was that there were around 170 AA students at T14 schools, with 53 at Harvard and like 25 at Columbia (this was 2014 or something). I imagine for Hispanic URMs (MA + PR) the numbers are less and even less with NA. So basically the t14 fight for top URM applicants, and then there's a trickle down effect, with lower ranked schools taking URMs with lower and lower numbers to keep a diverse population.

But I've heard and I would imagine that for us as applicants we're not necessarily looked at against non-URM students, but against other students in our demographics/race, which makes sense. I think I said this earlier, but in an admissions book they mention how a non spanish speaking hispanic might be "diverse enough" for chicago or mich, but not for a school on either coast.

And congrats! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear back from basically all those minus the cali schools.[/quote]

I think your right in that our cycle depends on which other URMs apply in our cycle. But for Hispanics, there are around like 300 or so that go to T14s. Around double the amount of AAs.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:

Agreed.

MA URM
WL at Penn
It sounds like there are many of us having great cycles!

And congrats! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear back from basically all those minus the cali schools.[/quote]

I think your right in that our cycle depends on which other URMs apply in our cycle. But for Hispanics, there are around like 300 or so that go to T14s. Around double the amount of AAs.[/quote]

Yeah, AAs are rarities -- AA men even more than women

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:

Agreed.

MA URM
WL at Penn

I think your right in that our cycle depends on which other URMs apply in our cycle. But for Hispanics, there are around like 300 or so that go to T14s. Around double the amount of AAs.[/quote]

Yeah you're definitely right. I was self-centeredly thinking about only PRs in comparison (particulary bc so many of us self select and only apply to school in PR).

Thread on representation : http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... law+school

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
playersball wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
bunney_j wrote:

Agreed.

MA URM
WL at Penn
As a URM you are fighting other URMs for spots. I bet you have great stats as well lol. I think my cycle is going well. I just applied to see how it was and if I didn't get into any good schools I was gonna reapply. I like this cycle though.

Yeah, AAs are rarities -- AA men even more than women[/quote]

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... law+school

The chart on the first page. It's interesting that about half have a larger percentage of AA students. UVA, PENN, Michigan, Duke, Columbia and Georgetown, and the rest are actually about equal besides Stanford Berkeley and Chicago which heavily have more Hispanic.

Does anyone know if this data is limited to PR/MA? Because if not there can't be that many more hispanics total at t14. It doesn't add up.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 pm

I guess I'm a hot commodity lol.

playersball

Bronze

Post by playersball » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:29 am

dietcoke1 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
As a URM you are fighting other URMs for spots. I bet you have great stats as well lol. I think my cycle is going well. I just applied to see how it was and if I didn't get into any good schools I was gonna reapply. I like this cycle though.

And congrats! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear back from basically all those minus the cali schools.

I definitely am aware of how severely underrepresented minorities are in the applicant pool and in the legal community overall. I just haven't seen how this is evidence to us competing one another for a limited number of spots (more limited than the overall applicant pool) in a zero-sum scenario, and not being compared to non-URM applicants. I haven't seen anything that would convince me that an adcomm would decide that they really like an applicant, but because they are URM they cannot accept them due to the quota already being met. The difference may lie in that this corresponds more to URM applicants with numbers well below median or 25th, whereas I am not necessarily referring to that scenario. In that case, I would think the unpredictability may lie in their URM status and their lack of competitiveness number-wise and we do not really have a way of knowing which one applies to what extent.

I may be totally off, granted I haven't done as much reading on the forums for URMs as I should, but I felt like being URM was just another feather on the scale in my favor throughout my cycle, albeit a really heavy feather. This is a really interesting discussion, and btw I applied late Oct-December.

Good luck to everyone! I hope there is more good news!

Edit to say: This quoting thing is all jacked up, my bad haha

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 am

I think AA's are a rarity because there are a lot who have good LSATs but low gpas relative to t14 students and other AA students just don't apply to law school. It sucks :(

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 am

PrezRand wrote:I think AA's are a rarity because there are a lot who have good LSATs but low gpas relative to t14 students and other AA students just don't apply to law school. It sucks :(
I'm in that first group lol. I have what is probably a valid reason but not a good reason, if that makes any sense.

I think the cost is probably a deterrence for a lot of people too.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 am

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I think AA's are a rarity because there are a lot who have good LSATs but low gpas relative to t14 students and other AA students just don't apply to law school. It sucks :(
I'm in that first group lol. I have what is probably a valid reason but not a good reason, if that makes any sense.

I hope to be in that first group. Law school isn't as appealing anymore to a lot of people

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 am

PrezRand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I hope to be in that first group. Law school isn't as appealing anymore to a lot of people
Yeah. Job outlook is weird. I think also, for people who feel passionate about law because of injustices or something, it's kind of crappy because most work associated with that within the field doesn't pay well.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:08 am

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Yeah. Job outlook is weird. I think also, for people who feel passionate about law because of injustices or something, it's kind of crappy because most work associated with that within the field doesn't pay well.
I remember one of my concerns about going to law school was that it would be 3 years without any work experience and zero earnings unless you get a summer associate gig. If it was 2 years like Obama said it should be, I think more people would be interested.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

I heard from one of my professors that most AA's who graduate have sub 3.0 gpas.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
I heard from one of my professors that most AA's who graduate have sub 3.0 gpas.
Yikes :(

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:31 am

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true
When he told me this, It made sense why schools would pick many AA's with High GPA's.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true
When he told me this, It made sense why schools would pick many AA's with High GPA's.
And lower Lsats. It makes sense. But I also think schools usually prefer students with higher gpas anyways.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:38 am

bunney_j wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... law+school

The chart on the first page. It's interesting that about half have a larger percentage of AA students. UVA, PENN, Michigan, Duke, Columbia and Georgetown, and the rest are actually about equal besides Stanford Berkeley and Chicago which heavily have more Hispanic.

Does anyone know if this data is limited to PR/MA? Because if not there can't be that many more hispanics total at t14. It doesn't add up.
I feel pretty confident this does not only include MA/PR. This is totally based on my obsessive data-crunching of the last couple of cycles and observations at BL firm events and discussions with other POC law students/lawyers, but it seems like most if not all T14 schools except Berkeley/UCLA will still count white-passing, wealthy Colombians/Venezuelans/Cubans or the non-Spanish-speaking 1/4 MAs without strong cultural ties as "URM Hispanics." Trust me there aren't 300+ people in T14s from el barrio.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:I guess I'm a hot commodity lol.
I think I mentioned this a page or two ago after reading the newest Spivey data. It's true, though.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true
+1. I think that's why I've had such success this cycle. My LSAT is a mess but my GPA is solid. I think it's helped me a great deal. My low LSAT has almost been a non-factor.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true
And lower Lsats. It makes sense. But I also think schools usually prefer students with higher gpas anyways.
Um, is this really true though? I mean jnwa's cycle from last year kinda throws this in the water. And i highly doubt that Higher GPA could offset a low LSAT THAT much. I mean yes, schools will take you, but I also think for an AA male, school will take a AA MAle with a 165+ any day of the week as long as GPA 3.0+ with some fantastic essays.

I should know, i put in a quick fast app in LATE january, early feb to duke and got priority reserve when I know they actually rejected a URM candidate.

I think the bigger problem is that there just arent enough AA's who score over 165+ on this test. Brinicole still got into 2 T-14s as is it, and will probably get into more.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Might be true
Um, is this really true though? I mean jnwa's cycle from last year kinda throws this in the water. And i highly doubt that Higher GPA could offset a low LSAT THAT much. I mean yes, schools will take you, but I also think for an AA male, school will take a AA MAle with a 165+ any day of the week as long as GPA 3.0+ with some fantastic essays.

I should know, i put in a quick fast app in LATE january, early feb to duke and got priority reserve when I know they actually rejected a URM candidate.

I think the bigger problem is that there just arent enough AA's who score over 165+ on this test. Brinicole still got into 2 T-14s as is it, and will probably get into more.
It's easier to get into law school being a URM with a 3.7+ than a 173. Jnwa didn't crack HYS. Someone with a 3.8 163 could do that.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm

It's easier to get into law school being a URM with a 3.7+ than a 173. Jnwa didn't crack HYS. Someone with a 3.8 163 could do that.
The key thing here is COULD.

First things first, you are deluded in thinking that if a Black/AA applicant got into Harvard with a low GPA, he would post it on LSN. I know one who has, and he definitely didnt.

Let's look at the facts: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/
If you look up Harvard for 2016, we know for a fact 33 AAs got in for their 1L year. We dont know all their GPA ( i only know one, but his GPA low, LSAT high - but he went to an Ivy though)

I'm willing to argue that most of the URM that list their stats or info on TLS/LSN are not Ivy league ( or even T15 schools on USNWR) - this really alters a LOT for their rest of us. For anybody else, it's not as possible. But it is indeed possible.

the one constant here, is that we dont know anything! We only can guess, but to really know is difficult.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”