URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mr_Chukes

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:So Dear White People in Episode 9 - NYU Law is mentioned as a joke law school.

I'm really heated right now. Like seriously heated.
Damn, I'd be hot to if I was going there lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:How is everyone doing lol.
Leave to go to AA in like two weeks (a little less now :shock:), have constant internal conflict about public interest vs. corporate, still not exercising... Finally done working though, and Michigan's in the 70s while it's in the 50s here so.... could be better, could be worse lol
Fighting inner demons lol. I'm so happy for you that you leave so soon. I wish I was leaving sooner. I'm so sick of work. Ready to start this next chapter.
Honestly, truly to the bolded part. I really want to do public interest work but I really don't want to live a public interest work life salary-wise. So torn.

Also, yeah I'm glad I get to start soon but I'm also like "Ahhhh idk wtf to expect" lol
Yeah atleast you get to dive in and sooner than later you will know what you will do for sure lol.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue May 02, 2017 11:23 am

Hey everybody -

Writing a LOCI that I hope to send out tonight.
If you'd like to proofread, feel free to send a PM. Thanks to the people on here that have already offered to help!

Thanks!

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue May 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:So Dear White People in Episode 9 - NYU Law is mentioned as a joke law school.

BRUH - you dont understand.

Like of all schools - Colandrea had to go at NYU. I know its just a tv show - but watch Black Twitter start saying some nonsense like that and then someone saying it to me in real life....

#Woebetidethem

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Like of all schools - Colandrea had to go at NYU. I know its just a tv show - but watch Black Twitter start saying some nonsense like that and then someone saying it to me in real life....

#Woebetidethem
not gonna lie---i was feeling some type of way at the shade :roll:

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

#Woebetidethem
not gonna lie---i was feeling some type of way at the shade :roll:
Lol. Y'all make my day.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

2016 ABA employment reports came out recently. Chart form: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... t_reports/

kbzon

New

Post by kbzon » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 pm

does anyone know if there is any data out there for URM students accepted off the waitlist at Harvard?

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 am

Did anyone else who applied for the Earl Warren scholly get any sort of confirmation?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm

kbzon wrote:does anyone know if there is any data out there for URM students accepted off the waitlist at Harvard?
I remember seeing some LSN WL data collected for URMs at HLS (and others), and it was unfortunately really bleak

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 04, 2017 2:48 pm

brinicolec wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why are tv shows always throwing shade at NYU lol? I remember Blair Waldorf said something similar on Gossip Girl when she was talking about wanting to go to Yale lol

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 04, 2017 4:36 pm

rwajo12 wrote:Do you guys think there is any benefit in starting to read the course books beforehand to get familiar with the material. I am really with my low Lsat score that I'm not as prepared as everyone else, and want to do whatever is necessary to get those grades! Any help is appreciated! :))

Not sure if anyone answered this question for you already but my friend from HLS said not to do this. He said that it's good to come to law school with a fresh mind and that it may do more harm than good if your burn yourself out during the few months when you still have a little bit of freedom to enjoy your life.

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 pm

This might come off as a silly question since SEO is known for being a big prestige T14 whore but if they genuinely want to help minority students get into BigLaw then why don't they also accept applicants that will be attending Howard Law? I mean big firms recruit top candidates from Howard so wouldn't it make sense for SEO to make an exception to their T14 rule and take a strong Howard candidate?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:51 pm

suitsandpotions wrote:This might come off as a silly question since SEO is known for being a big prestige T14 whore but if they genuinely want to help minority students get into BigLaw then why don't they also accept applicants that will be attending Howard Law? I mean big firms recruit top candidates from Howard so wouldn't it make sense for SEO to make an exception to their T14 rule and take a strong Howard candidate?
It's more about what the firms want and less about what SEO wants. From what I understand, firm X tells SEO that they'll only take students from schools X, Y, or Z, and SEO supplies them accordingly.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 pm

hammy393 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:This might come off as a silly question since SEO is known for being a big prestige T14 whore but if they genuinely want to help minority students get into BigLaw then why don't they also accept applicants that will be attending Howard Law? I mean big firms recruit top candidates from Howard so wouldn't it make sense for SEO to make an exception to their T14 rule and take a strong Howard candidate?
It's more about what the firms want and less about what SEO wants. From what I understand, firm X tells SEO that they'll only take students from schools X, Y, or Z, and SEO supplies them accordingly.

Yup. It's about the firms. Firms usually aren't asking for Howard students, they're asking for t14 students. They give a list of schools they want students from and seo works from that list

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:29 pm

In addition, although many firms recruit at Howard (much better position to be in than other schools) it's still difficult to get BigLaw and still only top students get it. But in the T-14, especially T-6 if you're a minority (or anyone for that matter) with a pulse and not weird in an interview you can get BigLaw, so it's a bit more realistic group of future BigLaw attorneys. (Not saying it's right)

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 04, 2017 6:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:
hammy393 wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. This whole time I thought it was the organization choosing to operate that way. Thanks for the explanation!

Yup. It's about the firms. Firms usually aren't asking for Howard students, they're asking for t14 students. They give a list of schools they want students from and seo works from that list

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Mrocky2 wrote:
In addition, although many firms recruit at Howard (much better position to be in than other schools) it's still difficult to get BigLaw and still only top students get it. But in the T-14, especially T-6 if you're a minority (or anyone for that matter) with a pulse and not weird in an interview you can get BigLaw, so it's a bit more realistic group of future BigLaw attorneys. (Not saying it's right)
Good point. I guess it's easier to bet on a strong candidates from higher ranked schools.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 pm

suitsandpotions wrote:
Mrocky2 wrote:
Good point. I guess it's easier to bet on a strong candidates from higher ranked schools.
The list of seo alum does have Howard on it though. as well as other non t-20 schools. It is rarer, but a strong applicant + strong interview can definitely be chosen over some t13 and even t6 applicants

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 am

suitsandpotions wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Why are tv shows always throwing shade at NYU lol? I remember Blair Waldorf said something similar on Gossip Girl when she was talking about wanting to go to Yale lol
NYU didnt really become a more prestigious university until the early 90s. If you ask people who attended in the 70s and 80s - they often joke about ho NYU was considered a joke school ( it wasnt a joke perse, but it was considered more prestigious to attend a school like Brandeis for example). Keep in mind, Columbia College and Barnard were separate institutions before 1986 (Columbia undergrad being all male until 1983). So the stigma amongst old money New Yorkers is that NYU is nouveau riche, new to the block. And its true. NYU's law school used to be pretty bad, and then it rocketed up, thanks to the trustees ( many among them bankers/financiers). Basically NYU has "bought" their prestige increased rankings - so in NYC - it's still ajoke school. Many attended NYU if they couldnt qualify/afford Ivy Leagues. so tahts the main reason for the stigma. Its going away now - but its there deep down.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/20/us/bu ... wanted=all

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 am

double post
Last edited by Hi-So - ArshavinFan on Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 05, 2017 6:55 am

suitsandpotions wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

NYU didnt really become a more prestigious university until the early 90s. If you ask people who attended in the 70s and 80s - they often joke about ho NYU was considered a joke school ( it wasnt a joke perse, but it was considered more prestigious to attend a school like Brandeis for example). Keep in mind, Columbia College and Barnard were separate institutions before 1983 (Columbia undergrad being all male until 1983). So the stigma amongst old money New Yorkers is that NYU is nouveau riche, new to the block. And its true. NYU's law school used to be pretty bad, and then it rocketed up, thanks to the trustees ( many among them bankers/financiers). Basically NYU has "bought" their prestige increased rankings - so in NYC - it's still ajoke school. Many attended NYU if they couldnt qualify/afford Ivy Leagues. so tahts the main reason for the stigma. Its going away now - but its there deep down.

Strongly disagree that in NYC NYU is "still" considerd a joke school. Don't know if it was back in the days of NYC bankruptcy and crime and everyone went to Columbia.

Have not heard of this Brandeis school ever being a place people went.

I wouldn't care about what a tv show says tbh.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 05, 2017 8:33 am

Npret wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

NYU didnt really become a more prestigious university until the early 90s. If you ask people who attended in the 70s and 80s - they often joke about ho NYU was considered a joke school ( it wasnt a joke perse, but it was considered more prestigious to attend a school like Brandeis for example). Keep in mind, Columbia College and Barnard were separate institutions before 1983 (Columbia undergrad being all male until 1983). So the stigma amongst old money New Yorkers is that NYU is nouveau riche, new to the block. And its true. NYU's law school used to be pretty bad, and then it rocketed up, thanks to the trustees ( many among them bankers/financiers). Basically NYU has "bought" their prestige increased rankings - so in NYC - it's still a lesser school ( to some). Many attended NYU if they couldnt qualify/afford Ivy Leagues. so tahts the main reason for the stigma. Its going away now - but its there deep down.

Strongly disagree that in NYC NYU is "still" considerd a joke school. Don't know if it was back in the days of NYC bankruptcy and crime and everyone went to Columbia.

I dont truly care lol - i find it misinformed ( but somewhat funny within the context of the character, and the show!

You're correct - it's not a joke school at all - but the perception of it being a "tier below" isn't completely gone.
I remember the days from my banking and consulting internships where certain NYU ids would introduce their school as "NYU Stern", never just NYU lol!!!!! It would be the craziest thing - of course Stern is one of the bet business school in the world - so it makes sense)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Npret wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

NYU didnt really become a more prestigious university until the early 90s. If you ask people who attended in the 70s and 80s - they often joke about ho NYU was considered a joke school ( it wasnt a joke perse, but it was considered more prestigious to attend a school like Brandeis for example). Keep in mind, Columbia College and Barnard were separate institutions before 1983 (Columbia undergrad being all male until 1983). So the stigma amongst old money New Yorkers is that NYU is nouveau riche, new to the block. And its true. NYU's law school used to be pretty bad, and then it rocketed up, thanks to the trustees ( many among them bankers/financiers). Basically NYU has "bought" their prestige increased rankings - so in NYC - it's still a lesser school ( to some). Many attended NYU if they couldnt qualify/afford Ivy Leagues. so tahts the main reason for the stigma. Its going away now - but its there deep down.

I dont truly care lol - i find it misinformed ( but somewhat funny within the context of the character, and the show!

You're correct - it's not a joke school at all - but the perception of it being a "tier below" isn't completely gone.
I remember the days from my banking and consulting internships where certain NYU ids would introduce their school as "NYU Stern", never just NYU lol!!!!! It would be the craziest thing - of course Stern is one of the bet business school in the world - so it makes sense)
When I was at NYU I had a friend who was in stern and constantly on the verge of an emotional breakdown from being stressed out so I get the need to make a distinction lol.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:54 pm

suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Do you guys think there is any benefit in starting to read the course books beforehand to get familiar with the material. I am really with my low Lsat score that I'm not as prepared as everyone else, and want to do whatever is necessary to get those grades! Any help is appreciated! :))

Not sure if anyone answered this question for you already but my friend from HLS said not to do this. He said that it's good to come to law school with a fresh mind and that it may do more harm than good if your burn yourself out during the few months when you still have a little bit of freedom to enjoy your life.
Great, thanks for the response! So I'm assuming those pre law summer programs by the law schools are not significantly helpful?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”