URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PrezRand

Gold

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by PrezRand » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:It feels like the stars are aligning and I'm starting to know my choice for attendance.
Congrats!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 am

S.Picquery wrote:
aspiringesq.elle wrote:I've been lurking this forum for a while but I decided to just post about my application cycle. Recently got dinged from a super reach and a super safety of mine....I really don't know how to feel about this. Can't say it wasn't a jab to my confidence but I've managed to bounce back.

I'm just ready for this whole process to be over. I have four applications that are currently under review and I check my status checkers every 5 minutes....it's getting kind of unhealthy at this point.
Did you only apply in January? I ask because I've calmed down so much in the past few months since applying. I just have no spoons left.
This is true. I don't even check my status checkers once a day anymore, let alone the 54730964 times I used to lol

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:It feels like the stars are aligning and I'm starting to know my choice for attendance.
Do I hear USC?

Mrs_Chukes

New

Post by Mrs_Chukes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Do I hear USC?
bingo

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Mrs_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Do I hear USC?
bingo
Yeah lmao been talking to some faculty members. Going to the basketball game on the 4th. I'm still waiting on Berkeley though. I hear back on the 24th.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I guess that California has love for me lol. 4 outta the 7 I applied to have accepted me. Still waiting on three. I got into Pepperdine today. So far I have USC, Pepperdine, Loyola, and Chapman. Waiting on Stanford, Berkeley and UCLA.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Me too!! I can feel the weight lifting off of me. This is an amazing feeling. Wishing everyone who's still deciding the best of luck. I love watching all my fellow URM's prosper.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 am

Stephylynette wrote:
Me too!! I can feel the weight lifting off of me. This is an amazing feeling. Wishing everyone who's still deciding the best of luck. I love watching all my fellow URM's prosper.
Must be nice.

Still trying to decide if I should just retake/sit out, really don't want to :roll:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 am

brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

Still trying to decide if I should just retake/sit out, really don't want to :roll:
What was your goal?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

What was your goal?
For..?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:54 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

What was your goal?
For..?
For law school. For me I had goals. I wanted to get into UCLA,USC, UCB, or Stanford. Also I want to work for Google on their team. I set goals to motivate myself. I feel good about this cycle because I already hit one of my targets.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:07 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

What was your goal?
For..?
For law school. For me I had goals. I wanted to get into UCLA,USC, UCB, or Stanford. Also I want to work for Google on their team. I set goals to motivate myself. I feel good about this cycle because I already hit one of my targets.
NYU was my ~ place ~ but they dinged me. More general goal would be a big city that places well in BL and has the reach for me to go to another big city if I want. Problem is a lot of those are T14s, and T14s aren't loving me this cycle. Georgetown is in DC, and I like DC & my parents want to eventually retire in VA, but I'm really thrown by their employment ratings (and waiting on scholly info). I mean, I know they have a HUGE class size as compared to like... everywhere... so I'm not sure if I should be looking beyond the numbers but uh... lol. Boston seems like an okay choice, but not a GREAT one. There is no way I'm paying sticker for Michigan, even with their really good employment.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:19 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

What was your goal?
For..?
NYU was my ~ place ~ but they dinged me. More general goal would be a big city that places well in BL and has the reach for me to go to another big city if I want. Problem is a lot of those are T14s, and T14s aren't loving me this cycle. Georgetown is in DC, and I like DC & my parents want to eventually retire in VA, but I'm really thrown by their employment ratings (and waiting on scholly info). I mean, I know they have a HUGE class size as compared to like... everywhere... so I'm not sure if I should be looking beyond the numbers but uh... lol. Boston seems like an okay choice, but not a GREAT one. There is no way I'm paying sticker for Michigan, even with their really good employment.
Boston gave you a great scholarship am I right? My other hope is I can use something to get some more money from SC. I really like the school and the resources they have. Southern California is where my family is and I really thought I might miss them lol. Also I wanted something with a smaller class size. It's funny before I did my research, I was gunning for UCLA just because of prestige.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 am

Mr_Chukes wrote: Boston gave you a great scholarship am I right? My other hope is I can use something to get some more money from SC. I really like the school and the resources they have. Southern California is where my family is and I really thought I might miss them lol. Also I wanted something with a smaller class size. It's funny before I did my research, I was gunning for UCLA just because of prestige.
Yeah, Boston gave me a pretty great scholarship, which is what made me look into the school more.

I really liked UCLA but I own a ferret and have a pretty serious attachment to him so I'm not willing to rid of him/don't think it'd be good for my happiness lol.

It's good that you got what seems to be a top choice for you!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote: Boston gave you a great scholarship am I right? My other hope is I can use something to get some more money from SC. I really like the school and the resources they have. Southern California is where my family is and I really thought I might miss them lol. Also I wanted something with a smaller class size. It's funny before I did my research, I was gunning for UCLA just because of prestige.
Yeah, Boston gave me a pretty great scholarship, which is what made me look into the school more.

I really liked UCLA but I own a ferret and have a pretty serious attachment to him so I'm not willing to rid of him/don't think it'd be good for my happiness lol.

They let you keep pets or will you have enough money to get an apartment that allows them lol. I'm still waiting on my UCLA decision. it feels like it has been forever. At least Berkeley gives you a time frame. If I do get accepted though I'll probably spend so much time debating between which one to go to lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

They let you keep pets or will you have enough money to get an apartment that allows them lol. I'm still waiting on my UCLA decision. it feels like it has been forever. At least Berkeley gives you a time frame. If I do get accepted though I'll probably spend so much time debating between which one to go to lol.
Who is "they"? You mean in Boston? I'm not living in campus housing, I'm getting an apartment. I've lived in an apartment since my junior year of college and I ain't goin' back to a dorm-like setting lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:37 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Who is "they"? You mean in Boston? I'm not living in campus housing, I'm getting an apartment. I've lived in an apartment since my junior year of college and I ain't goin' back to a dorm-like setting lol.
Yes this "they" figure I speak of is Boston lol. It will be my first time to get an apartment. My house is 10 minutes away from my alma mater. I'm really excited to be on my own. Just me and my cat. Are you going to ASW? I know you got into USC and UCLA. Are you going to go to either of their events?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Yes this "they" figure I speak of is Boston lol. It will be my first time to get an apartment. My house is 10 minutes away from my alma mater. I'm really excited to be on my own. Just me and my cat. Are you going to ASW? I know you got into USC and UCLA. Are you going to go to either of their events?
I plan to go to BU's first preview day and I'm going to UCLA's diversity weekend. I feel somewhat bad about it now because before I was grappling with whether or not I'd be willing to leave me pet behind (when I made the reservation and stuff) but have since decided I wouldn't lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:53 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I plan to go to BU's first preview day and I'm going to UCLA's diversity weekend. I feel somewhat bad about it now because before I was grappling with whether or not I'd be willing to leave me pet behind (when I made the reservation and stuff) but have since decided I wouldn't lol
Diversity weekend should be fun. I went to their diversity day. The campus is real nice lol. Parking sucks though. I also like how their law building actually matches the school lol. You have a picture of your pet?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Diversity weekend should be fun. I went to their diversity day. The campus is real nice lol. Parking sucks though. I also like how their law building actually matches the school lol. You have a picture of your pet?
Yeah, I'm sure I'll like it, which is part of why I'm not really excited about seeing it now.

There's the spoiled munchkin lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll like it, which is part of why I'm not really excited about seeing it now.
[+] Spoiler
Awe cute lol. Here is my cat. She will be coming to law school with me. I'm planning on going to a basketball game on the fourth at USC and Chapman is taking me on a cruise through the 16th-18th.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:15 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Awe cute lol. Here is my cat. She will be coming to law school with me. I'm planning on going to a basketball game on the fourth at USC and Chapman is taking me on a cruise through the 16th-18th.
[+] Spoiler
I'm a dog person myself but she's cute! Lol.

A cruise?! Is that a recruitment tool?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 am

USC seems worth it just because of football

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:38 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Must be nice.

What was your goal?
For..?

Can I ask why you're opposed to paying sticker at Mich?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:15 am

20171lhopeful wrote: Can I ask why you're opposed to paying sticker at Mich?
Maybe because upon repayment bri would owe 288k and that's a crippling amount of debt? I'm staring at the numbers too and may have to make the same decision :/

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”