Looking for advice on application strategy

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
BodieBroadus

Looking for advice on application strategy

Postby BodieBroadus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 am

Last edited by BodieBroadus on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youngwarrior

Re: Looking for advice on application strategy

Postby youngwarrior » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:51 pm

i think you're fine man, i'm not sure re-writing is necessary. even if you weren't an aa, from what i've seen and heard, your numbers would be competitive for the vast majority of the t-14. our stats are fairly similar albeit my gpa and lsat are a bit higher and i've been told that i will sweep the t-14 (i'm a black male from canada, which still qualifies me for the urm boost apparently), you will probably do the same because there are not very many people in our demographic that have our numbers.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 pm

You're wasting the CAS fee for every school below the T14, there's literally zero chance you attend any of them or use them for leverage in scholarship negotiations.

BodieBroadus

Postby BodieBroadus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

youngwarrior wrote:i think you're fine man, i'm not sure re-writing is necessary. even if you weren't an aa, from what i've seen and heard, your numbers would be competitive for the vast majority of the t-14. our stats are fairly similar albeit my gpa and lsat are a bit higher and i've been told that i will sweep the t-14 (i'm a black male from canada, which still qualifies me for the urm boost apparently), you will probably do the same because there are not very many people in our demographic that have our numbers.

Yeah, I had read some stuff suggesting that, I just wanted to be sure. I guess I will apply to fewer schools. Congrats on your GPA/LSAT, those are crazy numbers! Thanks for the advice, good luck this cycle.

BodieBroadus

Postby BodieBroadus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Mullens wrote:You're wasting the CAS fee for every school below the T14, there's literally zero chance you attend any of them or use them for leverage in scholarship negotiations.

Fair enough. I think I will apply to fewer schools and take most or all non-T14 off. Thanks.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:21 pm

I think you'll almost certainly get H, and probably S too. As you know Y can be a black box and value softs a lot, so worth a shot!

And yeah, I agree that you'd be wasting the CAS fee to be applying outside of the T14. You'll get great scholarships from the lower T14 you can use to negotiate with T6 schools you might want to attend. But, I think it would be safe to say Enjoy Harvard! :D

Edit: Sorry I forgot not to quote.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”