AA female 3.5 GPA 167 (addendum) Chances at Harvard?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
T6hopeful15

AA female 3.5 GPA 167 (addendum) Chances at Harvard?

Postby T6hopeful15 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:29 am

I am an AA female with a 3.5 GPA and a 167 LSAT. I'm going to retake the LSAT in September. I am also in the process of writing an addendum for my GPA (I had an illness which took a long time to diagnose but is now cured). With my numbers currently and including the fact that I am writing the addendum, what are my chances specifically at Harvard Law and what are my chances at the broader T6?

Thank you!

mukol

Re: AA female 3.5 GPA 167 (addendum) Chances at Harvard?

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 am

With a 167, basically 0% at Harvard.

I recommend going to mylsn and taking a look at where you might be a good fit.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:12 am

mylsn is weird. just realize that.

http://mylsn.info/lopzix/
Last edited by lymenheimer on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

YCDAACH

Postby YCDAACH » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:20 am

You have a great chance at CCN, Harvard is more of a reach.

mukol

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 am

lymenheimer wrote:
mukol wrote:With a 167, basically 0% at Harvard.

You should stop giving advice, other than the bolded. Perhaps you should check mylsn before telling other people bad information.

URM + 167 + 3.4 to 3.6 = 14% at Harvard

How is saying basically 0% bad information?

Source: http://mylsn.info/ic0cdz/
Last edited by mukol on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:24 am

mukol wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

You should stop giving advice, other than the bolded. Perhaps you should check mylsn before telling other people bad information.

I edited my post. See above.

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:26 am

lymenheimer wrote:
mukol wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

You can use "automatic" in the search criteria. You need to use the ranges. Automatic creates the range for you so that there is a bigger applicant pool to look at.

But hen again when you create a range it looks pretty damn good too

Last edited by Nachoo2019 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 am

lymenheimer wrote:
mukol wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

I edited mine too. See above.

Not sure how we are getting such widly different probability, but oh well.

T14orTradeSchool

Postby T14orTradeSchool » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Chances at Harvard aren't "basically 0." That's false. Apply there and see what happens.

T6hopeful15

Postby T6hopeful15 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 pm

I used MyLSN and I got a 100% chance with (AA only and my stats) this is why I didn't go there in the first place. Everyone gets wildly different chances none of which are reliable because they are generated by a machine from a non representative sample so it's almost useless. I wanted to ask you guys in YOUR opinion as ppl familiar with the application process what my chances would be given the fact that I have the addendum with my numbers and my AA URM status.

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

T6hopeful15 wrote:I am an AA female with a 3.5 GPA and a 167 LSAT. I'm going to retake the LSAT in September. I am also in the process of writing an addendum for my GPA (I had an illness which took a long time to diagnose but is now cured). With my numbers currently and including the fact that I am writing the addendum, what are my chances specifically at Harvard Law and what are my chances at the broader T6?

Thank you!

I'm not turning this into a political discussion, and I have no comment about that elephant in the room issue in regards to school admissions...

If you write a kickass personal statement and play the race card then you have a 75% chance of getting into Harvard. You're practically guaranteed admission into every non-Ivy League law school.

pittsburghpirates

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:22 pm

You certainly have plenty of a chance to send an app. Apply broadly to all of the T14 if you can swing it and see where the chips fall. It's tough to give detailed advice regarding a specific person's chances beyond what is on LSN because that's all most of us have to go on (plus maybe an anecdote or two).

Study hard for that retake, you can do it OP! A successful retake will only help your chances across the board. While you are waiting for scores, work on putting together your applications so that you can fire them off quickly once your score comes back. Best of luck!

T6hopeful15

Postby T6hopeful15 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:27 pm

L_William_W wrote:
T6hopeful15 wrote:I am an AA female with a 3.5 GPA and a 167 LSAT. I'm going to retake the LSAT in September. I am also in the process of writing an addendum for my GPA (I had an illness which took a long time to diagnose but is now cured). With my numbers currently and including the fact that I am writing the addendum, what are my chances specifically at Harvard Law and what are my chances at the broader T6?

Thank you!

I'm not turning this into a political discussion, and I have no comment about that elephant in the room issue in regards to school admissions...

If you write a kickass personal statement and play the race card then you have a 75% chance of getting into Harvard. You're practically guaranteed admission into every non-Ivy League law school.

Sorry but I don't understand the "I'm not turning this into a political discussion".

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 pm

T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thank you!

Sorry but I don't understand the "I'm not turning this into a political discussion".

He's making a backhanded remark towards affirmative action. There's a thread for that dude. She is looking for constructive advice. Not your indirect way of complaining about affirmative action.

You made the mistake of going to a crap law school that cause you to fail the bar 3 times

T6hopeful15

Postby T6hopeful15 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Clearly he doesn't know how to accept the rules of the thread and just run with them. Constantly complaining about the rules does not a good lawyer make lol

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:01 pm

T6hopeful15 wrote:Clearly he doesn't know how to accept the rules of the thread and just run with them. Constantly complaining about the rules does not a good lawyer make lol

Seriously, OP. Good luck on your cycle! Make sure you get your applications to Harvard in as early as possible to give yourself the best chance to get in!

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:56 pm

The only other thing I'd say is maybe look @ the thread of people that applied in the most recent cycle (for this coming fall) and see who all got accepted/denied/waitlisted @ Harvard. You could even open the thread and search specifically for Harvard and see what pops up!

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thank you!

He's making a backhanded remark towards affirmative action. There's a thread for that dude. She is looking for constructive advice. Not your indirect way of complaining about affirmative action.

You made the mistake of going to a crap law school that cause you to fail the bar 3 times

I didn't complain about it. I simply said, "no comment." And FYI: I'm black. I didn't want to hear the bitching about it so I tried to quell the issue before it came up.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Bitching about it isn't allowed anywhere except the thread in the lounge devoted to AA, so there's nothing you need to head off here.

T6hopeful15

Postby T6hopeful15 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 am

L_William_W wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thank you!

I didn't complain about it. I simply said, "no comment." And FYI: I'm black. I didn't want to hear the bitching about it so I tried to quell the issue before it came up.

You were saying "no comment" to something that NO ONE mentioned....Literally no one was going to bring up the issue. You say you didn't want to talk about it but you were the ONLY person who talked about it. This is the URM thread.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 am

T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thank you!

You were saying "no comment" to something that NO ONE mentioned....Literally no one was going to bring up the issue. You say you didn't want to talk about it but you were the ONLY person who talked about it. This is the URM thread.

It was one of those "trying to throw shade and hoping no one will catch me" things. Whenever someone uses the phrase "play the race card," they're probably being an ass.

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 am

L_William_W wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
T6hopeful15 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thank you!

YOU brought it up....

T14orTradeSchool

Postby T14orTradeSchool » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 am

Man, everyone just shut up. You have a good shot of getting into at least one of the T6. Definitely apply to Harvard, at least. Throw an app to Stanford. Shit, throw an app to all the schools you want to attend. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Retake if you wish, it can't hurt.

MyNameIsntJames

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Thank you!

With a retake to a 170+, Harvard's a possibility. Not sure if a 3.5 warrants an addendum, that's a pretty good GPA... Just in the world of HYS that seems deficient. But 3.5 is too good of a GPA to write an addendum in my opinion unless you were a 4.0 student and tragedy struck one semester/year of UG and caused you to get like a 2.8 or something and dropped you down several points.

If you can manage to hit 175, you'd be a pretty good argument for Harvard. Shit, maybe even YS bite too. Its HYS though so they could ding for anything. My advice would be to study your brains out for the LSAT. Better you do on that this September, the higher your chances will be and you might yield more $$$ from schools outside of HYS.

Your situation is really hard to say with any accuracy what will happen, but I hope the best for you. Crush your LSAT this September, put your best foot forward with every application and interview you get and let the cards fall where they may!

MyNameIsntJames

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 pm

T14orTradeSchool wrote:Man, everyone just shut up. You have a good shot of getting into at least one of the T6. Definitely apply to Harvard, at least. Throw an app to Stanford. Shit, throw an app to all the schools you want to attend. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Retake if you wish, it can't hurt.

Thank you lol. I really tell anyone with decent scores to just apply everywhere and see what happens. All you can really do is just get the best scores you can, submit the best application possible as soon as possible and just let go and let God. Not everyone who goes to Harvard becomes an amazing successful and not everyone outside of the T6 becomes an unhappy unemployed slave. I want people to have fun with this process and just realize that the only thing that can be controlled or guaranteed here is our own performances.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”