Biracial URM status?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
CoolHouse

Biracial URM status?

Postby CoolHouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:03 pm

My racial makeup is similar to that of Obama's except my mother is Black and my father is White. I understand that I would be able to identify myself as a URM AA when I apply, however will the fact that I am Canadian affect my URM identification?

Barack O'Drama

Re: Biracial URM status?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:16 pm

You may want to talk to a poster named jnwa who is a fellow black-Canadian. I think you are still treated as a regular-black candidate, whether or not you are from Canada. I could be completely wrong, but IIRC, that is what I have heard.

I'm also bi-racial with a black mother and a white father. Not from Canada though..

CoolHouse

Postby CoolHouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:You may want to talk to a poster named jnwa who is a fellow black-Canadian. I think you are still treated as a regular-black candidate, whether or not you are from Canada. I could be completely wrong, but IIRC, that is what I have heard.

I'm also bi-racial with a black mother and a white father. Not from Canada though..

Ok thanks. Just to confirm, when I apply do I need to indicate that I am part White or can I just select that I am Black?

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:44 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:You may want to talk to a poster named jnwa who is a fellow black-Canadian. I think you are still treated as a regular-black candidate, whether or not you are from Canada. I could be completely wrong, but IIRC, that is what I have heard.

Ok thanks. Just to confirm, when I apply do I need to indicate that I am part White or can I just select that I am Black?

That is actually a good question... Maybe there is a "2 or more races" option? My parents passed away when I was younger, and my grandparent's raised me, so I've always just always identified as black...

yaliehopeful

Postby yaliehopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 pm

CoolHouse wrote:My racial makeup is similar to that of Obama's except my mother is Black and my father is White. I understand that I would be able to identify myself as a URM AA when I apply, however will the fact that I am Canadian affect my URM identification?

Black Canadian male here, just went through law admissions process this cycle. Even though you're mix raced and Canadian, you will still be considered a URM by American law schools and therefore will receive the same boost as your American counterparts.
Last edited by yaliehopeful on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:54 pm

For bi/mixed race just check all the boxes that apply. I'm Puerto Rican, Cuban, and white, I marked all of them and I still got the boost. It's important to be truthful though, I'd rather miss the urm boost than risk a C&F violation.

CoolHouse

Postby CoolHouse » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 pm

yaliehopeful wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:My racial makeup is similar to that of Obama's except my mother is Black and my father is White. I understand that I would be able to identify myself as a URM AA when I apply, however will the fact that I am Canadian affect my URM identification?

Black Canadian male here, just went through law admissions process this cycle. Even though you're mix raced and Canadian, you will still be considered a URM by American law schools and therefore will receive the same boost as your American counterparts.

Ok that makes sense, if I identify as black would I be able to just select AA? Or do i have to select white and AA?

yaliehopeful

Postby yaliehopeful » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
yaliehopeful wrote:

Ok that makes sense, if I identify as black would I be able to just select AA? Or do i have to select white and AA?

Select white and AA. The fact that you're part white won't affect your boost, don't worry.

jnwa

Postby jnwa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Boost is the same....I'm continually shocked by the amount of black Canadians on this site. If y'all don't stop applying were gunna get our own category.

yaliehopeful

Postby yaliehopeful » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:05 pm

jnwa wrote:Boost is the same....I'm continually shocked by the amount of black Canadians on this site. If y'all don't stop applying were gunna get our own category.

+1

I think more and more of us are finding out about the boost :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”