Stanford's GPA Floor for URMs and Being below the 25% of a Law School

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
onlyhere4fun

Stanford's GPA Floor for URMs and Being below the 25% of a Law School

Postby onlyhere4fun » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Hey guys I was just wondering what you all think the gpa floor is for Stanford law. I'm AA male and I just graduated from my college with a 3.8, but after calculating my lsdas gpa myself, and including the grades from the college i transfered from, my upga is actually brought down to a 3.52 thanks to my bad performance my first year in college. I have a very big upward trend at my graduating institution. My gpa for each respective semester I had in college is 2.7, 3.6, 3.8, 3.6. 3.8, 3.8, 3.9, ad 3.9. I don't know if the trend really matters or not but I'm wondering if I would be shut out of Stanford completely due to my ugpa. I know yale is out of reach with my current gpa, and Harvard is a possibility if I get a high enough LSAT score. But I question whether I could get Stanford. And if it is possible would I have to get like a 99th percentile score on the LSAT to even have a chance at Stanford? I think I can break into the low 170's with a lot of work (and maybe some luck) but I don't know if I can hit a 99th percentile score.

Also I have a more general question, and it is not meant to incite a debate on the merits of affirmative action although it might seem like it might. I tend to think of myself as a 3.8 student because that's what I averaged once I got my act together in school, but does being below the 25th % of a t-14s gpa really put me at a competitive disadvantage? Has anyone had an experience of being below the 25% ugpa, lsat score, or both for whatever school they got into and had a hard time excelling due to the forced curve grading system? I'm asking this because I want to know (assuming the best case scenario and I got acceptances from S down, however unlikely that is lol) would I really be better off just going to a lower t-14 wherein my stats would place me at a better position based on the predictive weight that the lsat gpa combo has on 1l performance?

jnwa

Re: Stanford's GPA Floor for URMs and Being below the 25% of a Law School

Postby jnwa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Stanford is going to be really difficult with a low 3.5. HYS are much more fond of high GPA URM's. Id say stanfords floor is closer to a 3.7. Its worth shooting out an app anyways though. A 167ish should get you in at Harvard. Shoot for as high an lsat score as possible though. If you break 170 you could be looking at t14 full rides. I got one as an AA male with a worse gpa and a 173.

soj

Re: Stanford's GPA Floor for URMs and Being below the 25% of a Law School

Postby soj » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 pm

you can get into stanford with a 3.52. it's not ideal but you're still in the running with a good lsat score. i know of more extreme urm splitters (like 3.3/178) who got into stanford and harvard.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”