2017 cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
beantheshadow

2017 cycle

Postby beantheshadow » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Hello everybody,

When exactly do applications open up for Fall 2017? Also do all the schools in the T14 take diversity statements? Trying to get my applications in as early as possible next cycle. Already have my LORs in, transcripts in, LSAT score. Still working on my Personal statement and an addendum for my LSAT score(s). Am I missing anything? Do any of the full-ride schollys at the T14 require additional essays? :D Thanks for any help or advice.

Nachoo2019

Re: 2017 cycle

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Hello everybody,

When exactly do applications open up for Fall 2017? Also do all the schools in the T14 take diversity statements? Trying to get my applications in as early as possible next cycle. Already have my LORs in, transcripts in, LSAT score. Still working on my Personal statement and an addendum for my LSAT score(s). Am I missing anything? Do any of the full-ride schollys at the T14 require additional essays? :D Thanks for any help or advice.

This varies by school but most come out in Late September/early to mid October. Check for each school you plan to apply to and turn those apps in day 1! You will get much quicker responses and much more scholarship money!!! Good Luck you are in a great position here!

Edit: also many schools will have optional essays to write and writing those will definitely help your admissions and scholarship money. Not sure about names scholarships at T-14s though

bgt1995

Postby bgt1995 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Hey, beantheshadow! I'm applying for this cycle too, and also working on PSs. We can swap at some point, if you want - I don't think anyone else is quite there yet.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Applying too. Haven't even looked at the apps yet

dietcoke1

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Like Nachoo2019 said, some T14s have optional essays. I would strongly recommend writing the optional essays for at least the schools you would most prefer to attend. For example, Michigan and Penn have a Why Michigan?/Why Penn? essays. Other schools have other optional essays.

Also, different schools have different PS requirements. So be aware of that. For example I believe Stanford and Harvard limit you to two pages length double spaced whereas Berkeley encourages 4 pages double spaced. Other schools have different requirements. So if you want all your apps out day 1, each essay will have to be tailored to each school. You can find out each schools requirement by checking their website.

Also, resumes can be different for each school.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:51 pm

bgt1995 wrote:Hey, beantheshadow! I'm applying for this cycle too, and also working on PSs. We can swap at some point, if you want - I don't think anyone else is quite there yet.

Sounds good, I've been doing a lot of brainstorming but have yet to type it. I'm carving out 6-8 hours next week to really focus on it.

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:03 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:Like Nachoo2019 said, some T14s have optional essays. I would strongly recommend writing the optional essays for at least the schools you would most prefer to attend. For example, Michigan and Penn have a Why Michigan?/Why Penn? essays. Other schools have other optional essays.

Also, different schools have different PS requirements. So be aware of that. For example I believe Stanford and Harvard limit you to two pages length double spaced whereas Berkeley encourages 4 pages double spaced. Other schools have different requirements. So if you want all your apps out day 1, each essay will have to be tailored to each school. You can find out each schools requirement by checking their website.

Also, resumes can be different for each school.

Haha, I was hoping some amazing internet user had already created some kind of document showing which schools require what for the PS (length, topic, etc.) and which schools encourage a diversity statement. But I guess I'll stop being lazy and do the research myself :(

I'll make document and share with you guys within the week!

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I'm applying after the Sept. test. I'm sad bc my top school app opens Sept. 1st and I can't apply until after my Sept. LSAT results. :(

I guess I can get the app in, but have it complete when my lsat score comes in... meh..

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:34 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I'm applying after the Sept. test. I'm sad bc my top school app opens Sept. 1st and I can't apply until after my Sept. LSAT results. :(

I guess I can get the app in, but have it complete when my lsat score comes in... meh..

I feel the same, it feels so real yet still far enough where I'm not panicking. Lol

Are you re-taking or will this be your first take? Either way good luck with your studying!

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:54 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I'm applying after the Sept. test. I'm sad bc my top school app opens Sept. 1st and I can't apply until after my Sept. LSAT results. :(

I feel the same, it feels so real yet still far enough where I'm not panicking. Lol

Are you re-taking or will this be your first take? Either way good luck with your studying!

This is def. not my first take. My first take, I wasn't ready. I took it hoping for the best. I scored low 150s. I have to really bust my ass to make up for such a low score.

How many times did you take the test?

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:01 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

This is def. not my first take. My first take, I wasn't ready. I took it hoping for the best. I scored low 150s. I have to really bust my ass to make up for such a low score.

You can do it! I took it twice, first time, I scored in the low 150s (150 to be exact) but after about 6 months of really dedicating myself I scored in the high 160s. The beginning of my studies were pretty tough but you'll make breakthroughs!

cgra1916

Postby cgra1916 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:25 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

You can do it! I took it twice, first time, I scored in the low 150s (150 to be exact) but after about 6 months of really dedicating myself I scored in the high 160s. The beginning of my studies were pretty tough but you'll make breakthroughs!

Whoa that's awesome, and a really great improvement. Congrats to you! Do you mind sharing what you did differently during those 6 months that helped you achieve such a huge jump?

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:08 pm

cgra1916 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

Whoa that's awesome, and a really great improvement. Congrats to you! Do you mind sharing what you did differently during those 6 months that helped you achieve such a huge jump?

One word, study!

I stupidly took the LSAT the first time with minimal prep (only took 2 PTs :oops: ). I did this because I was being pressured by family who said I wasn't serious about LS since I hadn't registered for the LSAT or hadn't prepared my application material yet (In reality I really wanted to take a year off for the birth of my son). Then I had a shitty cycle with one acceptance, where if I went I'd owe $150,000+ :(

Then I discovered TLS, read through the study guides. I basically did the LSAT Trainer, and the Powerscore Bibles for the first three months of my studying, and drilled using the Cambridge packets. Then my last two months consisted of taking two PTs, a week and a few of those weeks I'd take three a week. Then for each PT, I'd do full BR for LG and RC, and do circled BR for LR. Also went to some of the free BR Skype session organized by 7sage students, nothing beat going over the test and having to articulate to complete strangers my reasoning. Going into my second take, my highest PT was 167 (twice), and I was averaging 165 on my previous 5. So I felt pretty comfortable going into test day. Ended up scoring a 168! :D

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
cgra1916 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

One word, study!

I stupidly took the LSAT the first time with minimal prep (only took 2 PTs :oops: ). I did this because I was being pressured by family who said I wasn't serious about LS since I hadn't registered for the LSAT or hadn't prepared my application material yet (In reality I really wanted to take a year off for the birth of my son). Then I had a shitty cycle with one acceptance, where if I went I'd owe $150,000+ :(

Then I discovered TLS, read through the study guides. I basically did the LSAT Trainer, and the Powerscore Bibles for the first three months of my studying, and drilled using the Cambridge packets. Then my last two months consisted of taking two PTs, a week and a few of those weeks I'd take three a week. Then for each PT, I'd do full BR for LG and RC, and do circled BR for LR. Also went to some of the free BR Skype session organized by 7sage students, nothing beat going over the test and having to articulate to complete strangers my reasoning. Going into my second take, my highest PT was 167 (twice), and I was averaging 165 on my previous 5. So I felt pretty comfortable going into test day. Ended up scoring a 168! :D

That is so good!

Since we are in a similar boat (well with the first low scores) do you have to write an addendum? Isn't it self explanatory that you didn't do so well the first shot and now you did.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm going to have 3 months of intense studying.. I have to be serious this time around lmao.

cgra1916

Postby cgra1916 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:55 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
cgra1916 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

One word, study!

Wow that's awesome and surely motivating! So in total you'd say you spent about 5 months total prep time? Thanks again for your advice!

beantheshadow

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:00 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
cgra1916 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

One word, study!

That is so good!

Since we are in a similar boat (well with the first low scores) do you have to write an addendum? Isn't it self explanatory that you didn't do so well the first shot and now you did.

You know that's the same question I asked myself! Lol I had similar train of though as you that they would just say "Hey he didn't rush into Law school with the lower score," but I asked Mike Spivey in the Ask the Professional thread and he said he recommends anyone to write one if their scores increased 10+ between takes (he has pretty good reasoning it was actually one of the more recent questions so if you go back a few pages you can see what he says). It kind of bummed me out because I was hoping not to have any Addendums!

As for having three months to study, I think that is actually a great amount of time. TBH I feel like I wasted the first two months of my studying, I didn't understand BRing or how to properly review anything. Basically when I drilled I just checked my answers and kind of moved on. It wasn't till I started sitting with the questions and forced myself to see why 4 answers were wrong and 1 was correct that I started seeing gains.

One of the best review methods I took from this site which I think could help you was this: After taking a PT and BRing it, I would cut out any question I got wrong before BR in the LR section, regardless if I corrected it during BR, and glue it into a 5-star notebook, than exactly a week later I would go do all those questions again untimed and as methodically as possible. First I'd write the question type (Suff, Necc, Main Conc,), then I read through it slowly and write coherent reasons to cross out an answer and then write my reasoning for selecting the one I did. At first it is a pretty long process because I was missing quite a bit of LR questions but as you get better you start missing less and those review days become more enjoyable and the reasoning get's stuck in your head. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about anything!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”