Gap in resume

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Barack Obama 2.0

Gap in resume

Postby Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi guys, I graduated from university in May 2015 and spent the past year travelling and consequently, there is a gap in my resume, will this adversely affect my chances for law school admissions? I plan on applying for law school in the fall and have a job for this upcoming year starting in September. I recently got back from overseas and am currently studying for the LSAT. On the advice of a friend, I took the June 2007 LSAT before I started prepping to gauge any areas of potential weakness/strength and scored a 163, however, I'm aiming for a 180. I intend on writing in September. I plan on applying to all the T-14 schools but really want HYS.

Stats:
URM (AA male)
LSDAS GPA: 4.0+
Softs: some work and several ECs during UG, several scholarships, and other academic related awards
LSAT: TBD
Interesting and eclectic resume.

Barack O'Drama

Re: Gap in resume

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I think you'll be alright man, just be prepared to have an explanation if asked. It could even be something mentioned in your personal statement. I don't think it will be much of a problem as far as applications. I am not sure how this would effect OCI, but as long as you have some internships and WE you should be just fine.

Congrats on the GPA. I had a 4.0 and LSAC screwed me to a 3.92, but hey, could be worse. But still jealous of your 4.0 :D

Also, thats a very nice diagnostic! With a little under 4 months of studying you should be able to get that to a 170.

Have you purchased any prep materials yet? If not, I just started and have had a really good experience with the LSAT Trainer so far. I also got the PS Bible Set, too.

tl;dr You'll be alright, just be ready to explain if need be. I'd also love to hear what others think because I have about a 3-4 month gap myself due to working on some stuff (writing a book) and traveling.

Barack Obama 2.0

Postby Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:I think you'll be alright man, just be prepared to have an explanation if asked. It could even be something mentioned in your personal statement. I don't think it will be much of a problem as far as applications. I am not sure how this would effect OCI, but as long as you have some internships and WE you should be just fine.

Congrats on the GPA. I had a 4.0 and LSAC screwed me to a 3.92, but hey, could be worse. But still jealous of your 4.0 :D

Also, thats a very nice diagnostic! With a little under 4 months of studying you should be able to get that to a 170.

Have you purchased any prep materials yet? If not, I just started and have had a really good experience with the LSAT Trainer so far. I also got the PS Bible Set, too.

tl;dr You'll be alright, just be ready to explain if need be. I'd also love to hear what others think because I have about a 3-4 month gap myself due to working on some stuff (writing a book) and traveling.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, really needed that, also just realized our usernames are nearly identical lmao. So far I have gotten Manhattan LR and RC books, and the LSAT trainer. I also have the Powerscore Logic Games bible which I'll be using in conjunction with 7sage video explanations of the games. Just going to self-study, not going to bother with a prep course.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I think you'll be alright man, just be prepared to have an explanation if asked. It could even be something mentioned in your personal statement. I don't think it will be much of a problem as far as applications. I am not sure how this would effect OCI, but as long as you have some internships and WE you should be just fine.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, really needed that, also just realized our usernames are nearly identical lmao. So far I have gotten Manhattan LR and RC books, and the LSAT trainer. I also have the Powerscore Logic Games bible which I'll be using in conjunction with 7sage video explanations of the games. Just going to self-study, not going to bother with a prep course.

Of course! And haha (great minds...), I did not see that until now. And excellent choice of study. I just ordered the MLSAT LR book. I think I will be getting the RC because I hear the PS RC is kind of lacking. Good luck, I think if you can nail a 170+ you are looking at HYS :)

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Mon May 30, 2016 6:48 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:So far I have gotten Manhattan LR and RC books, and the LSAT trainer. I also have the Powerscore Logic Games bible which I'll be using in conjunction with 7sage video explanations of the games. Just going to self-study, not going to bother with a prep course.

Sounds like a great plan.

Consider enrolling in a few free massive open online courses (http://www.coursera.com or www.edx.org, for example) during the gap. They give pretty decent overviews of courses and they are something one can put on their resume to shore up a gap. I took a lot of time off to study for the LSAT, and I don't think any schools held it against me. A few school inquired, I spoke about the open online courses and some volunteer work.

MarshallMarshal

Postby MarshallMarshal » Tue May 31, 2016 1:20 pm

Figure out an interesting and flattering way to sum up that time in a resume line. Many schools ask that you explain particular gaps in employment so if they don't give you a one page limit you should probably add some information.
Last edited by MarshallMarshal on Tue May 31, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grand inquisitor

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue May 31, 2016 1:34 pm

whenever i see a gap in resume with no explanation i assume prison or rehab. autoding.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”