Should I stay an extra year?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JabbatheGreat

Should I stay an extra year?

Postby JabbatheGreat » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi TLS, I just recently made an account because I've been lurking for years and am in a tough bind regarding my applications later this year.
I am AA and my last LSAT score was a 170 (about 5 below what I've been PTing), the issue is that my GPA is very low (3.0), and my major (Political Science) is not known for being rigorous. I don't want to be shut out of the T-14, but I'm not entirely sure what can be done to improve my application. I've had three different internships over the last 4 years, and one leadership position on campus, but that's about it.
Should I add an extra year at my university to help boost my GPA (my last two semesters i had a 4.0 with 18 credit hours each semester, and am confident I can keep above a 3.5 if I add on two semesters). Or will I be able to at least gain admission to some top schools?
Outside of the T-14 the only schools I planned on applying to were Case Western, Ohio State, Emory, UCLA and Morehouse.

bellanoche2019

Re: Should I stay an extra year?

Postby bellanoche2019 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:58 am

JabbatheGreat wrote:Hi TLS, I just recently made an account because I've been lurking for years and am in a tough bind regarding my applications later this year.
I am AA and my last LSAT score was a 170 (about 5 below what I've been PTing), the issue is that my GPA is very low (3.0), and my major (Political Science) is not known for being rigorous. I don't want to be shut out of the T-14, but I'm not entirely sure what can be done to improve my application. I've had three different internships over the last 4 years, and one leadership position on campus, but that's about it.
Should I add an extra year at my university to help boost my GPA (my last two semesters i had a 4.0 with 18 credit hours each semester, and am confident I can keep above a 3.5 if I add on two semesters). Or will I be able to at least gain admission to some top schools?
Outside of the T-14 the only schools I planned on applying to were Case Western, Ohio State, Emory, UCLA and Morehouse.

It depends on what T14 you want to attend, but if you're AA with a 170 LSAT and 3.0 GPA you can definitely get into the T14. I am not sure about money though. If you were PTing 175 and you get it, you can definitely get into the T14 with money I would think.

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 am

bellanoche2019 wrote:
JabbatheGreat wrote:Hi TLS, I just recently made an account because I've been lurking for years and am in a tough bind regarding my applications later this year.

It depends on what T14 you want to attend, but if you're AA with a 170 LSAT and 3.0 GPA you can definitely get into the T14. I am not sure about money though. If you were PTing 175 and you get it, you can definitely get into the T14 with money I would think.

I agree. I don't think that a 3.2 is so much better (application-wise) than 3.0 that it is worth all the time and money of another year of college. If anything, retake the LSAT, but I think you should apply this fall and retake this summer/fall. URM 3.0/170 seems like a safe bet to land in the T14, possibly with $$$ (I'm not familiar w/ URM scholarship stats, but your stats non-URM would probably get into a few T14's, so I would guess URM gets you significant $$$).

T14orTradeSchool

Postby T14orTradeSchool » Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 am

Was in a very similar position during my cycle (just finished it up). I don't think you'll be shut out by any means and I would even put money on that. but law school admissions cycle might be different next year, so who really knows? Still sure you'll get, at the very least, Georgetown, if I'm going by this year's metrics.

As far as staying an extra year, I'll say this: Calculate how much it will boost your GPA up by. Get your transcript, use an online resource to put your grades in + credit points, and see how much 2 semesters of A's will get you/boost your 3.0 by. I'd say it wouldn't be worth it if it's anything less than a 3.35/3.4.

I personally think it'll probably boost it from a 3.0 to maybe a 3.2ish, and that's if you got all A's both semesters, which isn't even a guarantee. Though the sample size is probably small, I don't think there's a significant difference in a 3.0/170 URM vs. a 3.2/170 URM. You also will be paying for the extra year, too. Keep that in mind. Your efforts will probably be best spent retaking and applying, though I think you're in decent shape now. A 175 trumps any increase in GPA that extra semester could ever give you.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”