SEO Questions??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Nlawsing

SEO Questions??

Postby Nlawsing » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi I was recently excited to see that I had been offered a spot in NYC with SEO. Just a few questions for anyone who has done the program in previous years. Can you give me a rundown of what a typical day is like? Also is it like a 9-5 monday through friday? What are the firm events like and how often do you attend them ? What are the people like are they very competitive , friendly etc? And any other general knowledge you can pass down on how you liked the program , if you would do it again and whether it has helped you in terms of securing employment or SA positions. Thanks!

Tr3

Re: SEO Questions??

Postby Tr3 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm sure others can elaborate, but here's my response: Typical day for the first week (orientation) and last week (law institute) is like 8AM-6PM. Orientation and law institute are a mix of preparing for work, learning about SEO, and having mock law classes/exams. The middle 8 weeks at the firm will have various hours and responsibilities depending on the firm. I usually started at 9:30 and worked until 6:30, but sometimes I was there much later. I worked on projects that attorneys incorporated into their work. Other SEOs had a more relaxed summer, or so it seemed. But I'd say most had pretty solid work experience. SEO stuff always trumps firm stuff, so we would leave work to attend 3+ mixers/trainings/panels per week (NYC placement, I think other regions have fewer events). It's a really busy summer, but it lets you learn about many firms and you can make some good connects. Firm events are usually a happy hour mingling session--food, drinks, and schmoozing. Panels are usually attorneys from various firms talking about a particular subject followed by networking. It's tiring after a while, but the firms try hard to impress SEOs because SEOs are potential diversity recruits for SA positions. I wouldn't say anyone was competitive. Most people were friendly. I remain in pretty close contact with the SEOs that attend my school and with SEOs at other schools--it's a good network to have during the school year for housing, advice, outlines, etc. This is a good opportunity to build a solid network, so it's in everyone's interest to be friendly and not a jackass. There are firms that only extend 1L interviews to SEOs and most SEOs from my class are working at awesome firms or doing other impressive 1L summer gigs, so I'd say it helps. It definitely helped me during 1L SA interviews--interviewers were very interested in my experience. I would recommend SEO to anyone, including those interested in PI. If you have an offer, I think it'd be wise to accept. The program has its quirks (it's pretty strict, I guess), but nothing that would keep me from recommending it to someone else.

I wish I would have taken the law institute and practice exams more seriously. The cases in the law institute are cases most 1L courses will actually cover, so it would have been nice to have paid more attention. Also, SEO assigns a mentor to each SEO Scholar, so you have someone to reach out to over your entire 1L year, which is really nice.

texcellence

Postby texcellence » Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 am

Last edited by texcellence on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mbear5

Postby Mbear5 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Tr3 wrote:I'm sure others can elaborate, but here's my response: Typical day for the first week (orientation) and last week (law institute) is like 8AM-6PM. Orientation and law institute are a mix of preparing for work, learning about SEO, and having mock law classes/exams. The middle 8 weeks at the firm will have various hours and responsibilities depending on the firm. I usually started at 9:30 and worked until 6:30, but sometimes I was there much later. I worked on projects that attorneys incorporated into their work. Other SEOs had a more relaxed summer, or so it seemed. But I'd say most had pretty solid work experience. SEO stuff always trumps firm stuff, so we would leave work to attend 3+ mixers/trainings/panels per week (NYC placement, I think other regions have fewer events). It's a really busy summer, but it lets you learn about many firms and you can make some good connects. Firm events are usually a happy hour mingling session--food, drinks, and schmoozing. Panels are usually attorneys from various firms talking about a particular subject followed by networking. It's tiring after a while, but the firms try hard to impress SEOs because SEOs are potential diversity recruits for SA positions. I wouldn't say anyone was competitive. Most people were friendly. I remain in pretty close contact with the SEOs that attend my school and with SEOs at other schools--it's a good network to have during the school year for housing, advice, outlines, etc. This is a good opportunity to build a solid network, so it's in everyone's interest to be friendly and not a jackass. There are firms that only extend 1L interviews to SEOs and most SEOs from my class are working at awesome firms or doing other impressive 1L summer gigs, so I'd say it helps. It definitely helped me during 1L SA interviews--interviewers were very interested in my experience. I would recommend SEO to anyone, including those interested in PI. If you have an offer, I think it'd be wise to accept. The program has its quirks (it's pretty strict, I guess), but nothing that would keep me from recommending it to someone else.

I wish I would have taken the law institute and practice exams more seriously. The cases in the law institute are cases most 1L courses will actually cover, so it would have been nice to have paid more attention. Also, SEO assigns a mentor to each SEO Scholar, so you have someone to reach out to over your entire 1L year, which is really nice.

This was very helpful and thank you. Also how strict are they about allowing you to leave early. There is one day that I need to leave around 5 and I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue, but they super very strict about that.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Tr3 wrote:I'm sure others can elaborate, but here's my response: Typical day for the first week (orientation) and last week (law institute) is like 8AM-6PM. Orientation and law institute are a mix of preparing for work, learning about SEO, and having mock law classes/exams. The middle 8 weeks at the firm will have various hours and responsibilities depending on the firm. I usually started at 9:30 and worked until 6:30, but sometimes I was there much later. I worked on projects that attorneys incorporated into their work. Other SEOs had a more relaxed summer, or so it seemed. But I'd say most had pretty solid work experience. SEO stuff always trumps firm stuff, so we would leave work to attend 3+ mixers/trainings/panels per week (NYC placement, I think other regions have fewer events). It's a really busy summer, but it lets you learn about many firms and you can make some good connects. Firm events are usually a happy hour mingling session--food, drinks, and schmoozing. Panels are usually attorneys from various firms talking about a particular subject followed by networking. It's tiring after a while, but the firms try hard to impress SEOs because SEOs are potential diversity recruits for SA positions. I wouldn't say anyone was competitive. Most people were friendly. I remain in pretty close contact with the SEOs that attend my school and with SEOs at other schools--it's a good network to have during the school year for housing, advice, outlines, etc. This is a good opportunity to build a solid network, so it's in everyone's interest to be friendly and not a jackass. There are firms that only extend 1L interviews to SEOs and most SEOs from my class are working at awesome firms or doing other impressive 1L summer gigs, so I'd say it helps. It definitely helped me during 1L SA interviews--interviewers were very interested in my experience. I would recommend SEO to anyone, including those interested in PI. If you have an offer, I think it'd be wise to accept. The program has its quirks (it's pretty strict, I guess), but nothing that would keep me from recommending it to someone else.

Thanks for this. Do you remember when you received access to the online courses? Trying to bang them out as soon as possible since it's going to be very difficult for me 1-2 weeks before orientation.

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:56 am

texcellence wrote:
This is enormously helpful, thank you. I do intensive associate-like work at a V30 firm now and have been wondering how the SEO intern workload is different. It seems like a fantastic network to have in your back pocket. I may be hitting you up with some NYU/SEO questions soon!

Honestly, it's probably less than what you've been doing. Feel free to pm with specific questions about NYU/SEO.

Mbear5 wrote:
This was very helpful and thank you. Also how strict are they about allowing you to leave early. There is one day that I need to leave around 5 and I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue, but they super very strict about that.

You should be able to leave early. Obviously it can't be a habit, but one day shouldn't be an issue.

Budfox55 wrote:
Thanks for this. Do you remember when you received access to the online courses? Trying to bang them out as soon as possible since it's going to be very difficult for me 1-2 weeks before orientation.

No, I don't remember. The modules were pretty fun though. Well, I guess if you like those kind of things. ha.

Nlawsing

Postby Nlawsing » Tue May 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you so much! Also do you know when you got your firm assignment?

Jessicakes90

Postby Jessicakes90 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 am

texcellence wrote:

This is enormously helpful, thank you. I do intensive associate-like work at a V30 firm now and have been wondering how the SEO intern workload is different. It seems like a fantastic network to have in your back pocket. I may be hitting you up with some NYU/SEO questions soon!

I was at a DC firm so some of my experiences varied slightly, but overall, I echo all of Tr3's sentiments. It's a busy summer, but definitely worth it. I also did pretty high-level, associate-like work at a V30 firm prior to law school, and was concerned that the SEO internship wasn't going to be valuable/different enough to merit leaving my job early. It absolutely was. The work that you do at the firm differs from firm to firm of course, but generally, firms are very good about giving SEO interns substantive assignments. However, as Tr3 pointed out, you get the most value from the networking opportunities (and, surprisingly, the law institute at the end of the summer). The opportunity to meet and mingle with attorneys from top law firms in the area before even beginning law school is an immense leg up, and will help tremendously during the job application process. As for Law Institute - it's really hard to be 100% invested because it's at the end of a very intensive summer and right before classes start. I, too, wish I had paid more attention though - you learn a lot in a short period of time, but it's all cases and materials you'll study in your 1L classes.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:45 am

Jessicakes90 wrote:
texcellence wrote:

I was at a DC firm so some of my experiences varied slightly, but overall, I echo all of Tr3's sentiments. It's a busy summer, but definitely worth it. I also did pretty high-level, associate-like work at a V30 firm prior to law school, and was concerned that the SEO internship wasn't going to be valuable/different enough to merit leaving my job early. It absolutely was. The work that you do at the firm differs from firm to firm of course, but generally, firms are very good about giving SEO interns substantive assignments. However, as Tr3 pointed out, you get the most value from the networking opportunities (and, surprisingly, the law institute at the end of the summer). The opportunity to meet and mingle with attorneys from top law firms in the area before even beginning law school is an immense leg up, and will help tremendously during the job application process. As for Law Institute - it's really hard to be 100% invested because it's at the end of a very intensive summer and right before classes start. I, too, wish I had paid more attention though - you learn a lot in a short period of time, but it's all cases and materials you'll study in your 1L classes.

Thanks. Thats great to know about the law institute. To be completely honest, I was originally under the impression that it wouldn't be too helpful and probably wouldn't have taken it too seriously had I not read this.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”