Anyone here in their late 30s or 40s? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
QContinuum

Re: Anyone here in their late 30s or 40s?

Post by QContinuum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Synapse2018 wrote:Early 30's - married with children. Applying T6 or bust next cycle!
Best of luck but please don't "apply T6 or bust." There is no "cliff" in prestige or placement power between NYU and Penn, or between Penn and whichever school is currently #8 on USNWR's list. I cannot think of any situation where I'd advise anyone to "apply T6 or bust." I'm really not sure where the T6 mythology on TLS comes from.

Even the best candidates with the highest GPAs/LSATs should apply across the entire T13, or at least the vast majority of it (e.g., candidates with weak softs would probably have good reason to exclude Yale/Stanford). Candidates whose numbers make the T13 a reach should also apply to the T20. I think there are situations where "T20 or bust" makes sense, and even situations where "T13 or bust" makes sense, but that's because there are actual, sharp drop-offs in prestige and placement power between 13 and 14, and between 20 and 21.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 am

I am 41, 4 kids, graduated law school 4 years ago. My wife is applying this cycle. Any questions relating to being an old law student or lawyer, ask away!

chris502

New

Post by chris502 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm

38, considering apply for 2019. Does anyone know how schools view us in terms of giving grants/financial aid? Are older students more or less likely to get grant/financial aid giving everything else equal? I would not want to take on much debt to go to law school at this age, having a family and all.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm

You’ll be treated the same - schools don’t care. Most aid is merit aid, and if you have the numbers, you’ll get merit aid. Loans definitely don’t care about your age, just your credit score. (You’d have to have actively bad credit to have a problem getting loans.)

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Synapse2018 wrote:Early 30's - married with children. Applying T6 or bust next cycle!
Best of luck but please don't "apply T6 or bust." There is no "cliff" in prestige or placement power between NYU and Penn, or between Penn and whichever school is currently #8 on USNWR's list. I cannot think of any situation where I'd advise anyone to "apply T6 or bust." I'm really not sure where the T6 mythology on TLS comes from.[\b]

Even the best candidates with the highest GPAs/LSATs should apply across the entire T13, or at least the vast majority of it (e.g., candidates with weak softs would probably have good reason to exclude Yale/Stanford). Candidates whose numbers make the T13 a reach should also apply to the T20. I think there are situations where "T20 or bust" makes sense, and even situations where "T13 or bust" makes sense, but that's because there are actual, sharp drop-offs in prestige and placement power between 13 and 14, and between 20 and 21.

FYI my guess, based on old vague memory is that T6 May have resulted from the days of ITE as the schools offering the most reliable employment prospects. I’m too lazy to go back and research it, but that’s my (possibly wrong) recollection.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Npret wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Best of luck but please don't "apply T6 or bust." There is no "cliff" in prestige or placement power between NYU and Penn, or between Penn and whichever school is currently #8 on USNWR's list. I cannot think of any situation where I'd advise anyone to "apply T6 or bust." I'm really not sure where the T6 mythology on TLS comes from.[\b]

FYI my guess, based on old vague memory is that T6 May have resulted from the days of ITE as the schools offering the most reliable employment prospects. I’m too lazy to go back and research it, but that’s my (possibly wrong) recollection.

No even ITE Penn was on par with Columbia/NYU,, everything was going to the same firms and had to face the bloodbath at the same firms all the same. I was interviewed about this when I was a 1L when the wound was still fresh :|

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”