Is Pacific Islander URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bruingirl92

New

Is Pacific Islander URM?

Post by Bruingirl92 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I'm just wondering how this URM would hold in admissions comparing to other URM.

Low gpa: 3.3
LSAC gpa: not calculated but I'm guessing even lower from community college repeats and remedial courses (that aren't identified as remedial on transcript)

Extra information: took 4 years at CC to finish my remedial course to get into courses that transfer out.
Diagnosed with ADHD
Transfered to UCLA, took 2 1/2 years to graduate
Upward grade trend
Involved with honor societies,leadership positions, UG student council, jobs at UCLA, 110+ community service hours, founder of non profit, resident assistant, lost over 100 pounds through dedication.

I'm honestly very ambitious and only strive for the best. I know UG GPA doesn't count and LSAC GPA counts which is totally unfortunate despite my circumstances. Hypothically what are my chances of a top 14 with 175 LSAT score? My top choices are Columbia and UCLA although I know UCLA is not T14

HYSplease

New

Re: Is Pacific Islander URM?

Post by HYSplease » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:12 am

Bruingirl92 wrote:I'm just wondering how this URM would hold in admissions comparing to other URM.

LSAC gpa: not calculated but I'm guessing even lower from community college repeats and remedial courses (that aren't identified as remedial on transcript)

Extra information: took 4 years at CC to finish my remedial course to get into courses that transfer out.
Diagnosed with ADHD
Upward grade trend
Involved with honor societies,leadership positions, UG student council, jobs at UCLA, 110+ community service hours, founder of non profit, resident assistant, lost over 100 pounds through dedication.

I'm honestly very ambitious and only strive for the best. I know UG GPA doesn't count and LSAC GPA counts which is totally unfortunate despite my circumstances. Hypothically what are my chances of a top 14 with 175 LSAT score? My top choices are Columbia and UCLA although I know UCLA is not T14
Pacific Islanders are not considered URMs. Did you actually score a 175 or is this hypothetical? If it's hypothetical then I would wait until you get an LSAT score back before asking about your chances.

gamerish

Gold

Re: Is Pacific Islander URM?

Post by gamerish » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:38 am

HYSplease wrote:
Bruingirl92 wrote:I'm just wondering how this URM would hold in admissions comparing to other URM.

Diagnosed with ADHD
Upward grade trend

Pacific Islanders are not considered URMs. Did you actually score a 175 or is this hypothetical? If it's hypothetical then I would wait until you get an LSAT score back before asking about your chances.
Additionally, I would calculate what your LSDAS GPA is going to be. Columbia seems to be friendlier than many other T14s when it comes to splitters with very high LSATs but if your GPA is much lower than a 3.3, you're going to have a very difficult time regardless of whether or not you do get a 175+.

I used this GPA calculator and it was accurate for me: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”