Chances at T-14 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Chances at T-14

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:14 am

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to these forums as a member but I've been following posts on here for well over a year.

Basically I want to ask you what my chances are at law school right now.

To give you some background information:

I am an AA male, 22 years old and I graduated last May (Class of 2015).

My UGPA was 3.18, but after adjusting for LSAC calculations (retaken classes and my University grants diff Quality Points for +/- letter grades) my GPA stands at a 3.0. I finished on an upward trend, however, of 3.7 my last two years at the University of Maryland (Big 10 school). My first semester of Senior year, I received straight A's.

I have already taken the LSAT and I received a score of 161 the first time I took it during my senior year. I'm going to retake it again in September and I am aiming for a 170+. I believe it is more than possible and am currently scoring in the upper 160s on practice exams right now. I think if I continue to diligently study this summer a 170+ should be a very plausible result.

I grew up in Baltimore, Maryland and have experienced conquering financial and familial adversity to persevere. I am an extraordinarily diverse individual and have seen and experienced the lives of those with great financial adversity and wealth, giving me a unique perspective on life. I've grown up around both poor and rich people of all nationalities.

I have a strong background in philanthropy. I've worked, interned and volunteered at numerous non-profits and even received recognition in my school's newspaper for my work between a non-profit and a student organization (which I created and remained president of from Junior year to graduation) to create a concert that raised over $2,500 for cancer support. I also spent some time traveling to different schools within inner city Baltimore and giving speeches to youth to encourage them to deal with adversity etc.

Extracurricular wise, I've always excelled musically. I won my high school's John Philip Sousa Award for instrumentation and was selected as the 2nd best trumpet player in the State of Maryland through the MMEA (All State Association) and have verifiable documentation for both things happening.

I hope this post doesn't sound too pretentious. I'm a regular person with flaws just like everyone else and I'm surely no genius as you probably gathered from my GPA. It wasn't until later in my college career that I gained the necessary experience and maturity to take school seriously and make a concerted effort at being very successful.

My ultimate goal is to go to HLS. That's been my dream for the last two and a half years. I'm not sure how plausible this is or what my chances are, but I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable individuals here can evaluate my situation and let me know. Feel free to offer any advice, suggestions, criticisms or questions! My mind is completely open.

HYPSM

Bronze

Re: Chances at T-14

Post by HYPSM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 am

Come back after you actually get an LSAT score.

If you want HLS, you will most likely need 175+ with your GPA. Check LSN and see for yourself.

These threads are useless without a real LSAT score.

The fact that you went to a Big 10 school/Maryland (whatever heck that is) will not benefit you, and neither will your soft factors/extra-curricular activities (this is not college).

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:01 am

Very few data points on LSN. Note the sweeping LSAT range here.

The one user in your GPA range who was admitted into GULC ended up getting $140k in aid, so I suspect there was something pretty spectacular about their application besides their numbers which helped them. See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Jessicakes90

It's great that you are willing to retake, so many applicant lack the motivation/dedication to do so, the LSAT prep resources on this website are top notch.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:33 pm

mornincounselor wrote:Very few data points on LSN. Note the sweeping LSAT range here.

The one user in your GPA range who was admitted into GULC ended up getting $140k in aid, so I suspect there was something pretty spectacular about their application besides their numbers which helped them. See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Jessicakes90

It's great that you are willing to retake, so many applicant lack the motivation/dedication to do so, the LSAT prep resources on this website are top notch.

Is this considering my URM status? I find it hard to believe that at a 170+, the only school I have a chance at receiving admission to would be Georgetown. Although, I'm sure there's hardly any data of a student with stats and attributes like that in a given cycle, considering my low GPA, AA status and what I hope to be a relatively high LSAT score.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:Very few data points on LSN. Note the sweeping LSAT range here.

Is this considering my URM status? I find it hard to believe that at a 170+, the only school I have a chance at receiving admission to would be Georgetown. Although, I'm sure there's hardly any data of a student with stats and attributes like that in a given cycle, considering my low GPA, AA status and what I hope to be a relatively high LSAT score.
URM admissions are weird, and that GPA is low. I don't find it hard to believe that the only place you'd get in is Georgetown. If you had work experience, I'd give you Northwestern. Just take the LSAT first so you realistically know what you're dealing with.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 am

ih8makingscreennames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

URM admissions are weird, and that GPA is low. I don't find it hard to believe that the only place you'd get in is Georgetown. If you had work experience, I'd give you Northwestern. Just take the LSAT first so you realistically know what you're dealing with.

I see. I respectfully disagree. And I'll have around 3 years work experience by the time I apply to law school

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:41 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

I see. I respectfully disagree. And I'll have around 3 years work experience by the time I apply to law school
Disagree with the profiles of similar applicants who applied to the schools you're thinking about? Granted not every applicant reports their information to LSN, but many do. I'd argue the candidates with the most well put together applications are also the ones who know about LSN and consider reporting their information.

In any event there is no sense worrying about what the upper end of your potential school list is at this point in time, its time to grind out the LSAT, baby.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:52 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

You shouldn't have asked a question for which you didn't want an honest answer. I mean I got waitlisted at HLS and my stats are better than your hypotheticals (I also applied late but whatevs). People tell you not to think about transferring bc it's not a realistic goal for most, but without an outstanding LSAT it's gonna be an uphill battle for you.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:32 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

This is coming from someone who does not even have an LSAT score yet (anywhere near 170, let alone 175) and has a GPA of 3.0? Are you delusional? JUST GO ON LSN AND CHECK FOR YOURSELF THEN. People say "I'm going to break 170" ALL THE TIME, but it doesn't MEAN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY TAKE THE TEST.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

You shouldn't have asked a question for which you didn't want an honest answer. I mean I got waitlisted at HLS and my stats are better than your hypotheticals (I also applied late but whatevs). People tell you not to think about transferring bc it's not a realistic goal for most, but without an outstanding LSAT it's gonna be an uphill battle for you.
I really don't have a problem with your answer lol. You aren't an admissions' director and at the end of the day everything on this forum is speculative and I could outperform or under-perform expectations in terms of acceptances. You are right about the LSAT. I realize that without something breaching 175+ that these T-14s would probably be a straight up no.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

I really don't have a problem with your answer lol. You aren't an admissions' director and at the end of the day everything on this forum is speculative and I could outperform or under-perform expectations in terms of acceptances. You are right about the LSAT. I realize that without something breaching 175+ that these T-14s would probably be a straight up no.
LOL this kid will make a great lawyer. We need more people like him in this profession.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:51 pm

HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

This is coming from someone who does not even have an LSAT score yet (anywhere near 170, let alone 175) and has a GPA of 3.0? Are you delusional? JUST GO ON LSN AND CHECK FOR YOURSELF THEN. People say "I'm going to break 170" ALL THE TIME, but it doesn't MEAN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY TAKE THE TEST.
Anyone can go to LSN whether you've taken the exam or not. If that were the best solution then this forum wouldn't even be created. The purpose here is to get a speculative answer.

And yes, people do say "I'm going to break 170" all the time, but I've broken 170 consistently on practice tests as of late and I'm going to continue studying to take the test in September. I was chronically homeless throughout my freshman and sophomore years. God blessed me in a way that turned my situation around and between my Junior and Senior year I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA with a 4.0 at the beginning of my senior year.

There's no need to disrespect me by calling me 'delusional' either, calm down. And there's absolutely no reason you should be offended by me asking this question. You don't know me either, so you're really in no position to tell me what's reasonable for me to get on the LSAT. I could bang out a 180 for all you know. Maybe your anger comes from insecurity about your own prospects regarding law school. Don't try to beat me down about mine. Thanks!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Anyone can go to LSN whether you've taken the exam or not. If that were the best solution then this forum wouldn't even be created. The purpose here is to get a speculative answer.

And yes, people do say "I'm going to break 170" all the time, but I've broken 170 consistently on practice tests as of late and I'm going to continue studying to take the test in September. I was chronically homeless throughout my freshman and sophomore years. God blessed me in a way that turned my situation around and between my Junior and Senior year I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA with a 4.0 at the beginning of my senior year.

There's no need to disrespect me by calling me 'delusional' either, calm down. And there's absolutely no reason you should be offended by me asking this question. You don't know me either, so you're really in no position to tell me what's reasonable for me to get on the LSAT. I could bang out a 180 for all you know. Maybe your anger comes from insecurity about your own prospects regarding law school. Don't try to beat me down about mine. Thanks!
Dude we get it. But your inferiority complex isn't going to help you get into schools. Facts are you have a 3.0 GPA. URM or not, that really really hurts for t14. A lot of us here have been around for a few years and see what happened with us and our classmates. I hope you do go out and score a 170+. But truth be told, applications are going up and so are higher scores. So there are more people with higher scores this cycle than last. Assuming that trend continues, schools don't need people with high lsat scores and low gpas as much. So it is probable, if not likely, if you do not score a 172+ish, that you will MAYBE get into 1 of the t14. Your gpa kills you and sorry for the facts. Regardless of the story, a gpa is a gpa.

Edit: also, I was practice testing 175+ for a month before my second attempt. I got a 164 on that attempt. It took me another 6 months to actually score a mid 170s on the lsat after having literally worked on the lsat every day for 11 months. So don't put the cart before the horse either buddy. For all you know, you get a 160 on test day and don't get into any top 50 schools. It is statistically way more likely for you to get a 160 then a 170+.

Double edit: I don't think you are delusional. But to come here and ask for chances, then completely disregard our opinions when you have no actual idea and some of us do, LOL.
Last edited by grades?? on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 pm

grades?? wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

LOL this kid will make a great lawyer. We need more people like him in this profession.

Lmao what is it about my responses that seems to generate so much ire and anger in these forums? I've accepted the answers given here and I still hold a different opinion about it. I don't remember the caveat stating, "You must unequivocally agree with each and every prediction given to you by the other users of this forum." I realize the burden is upon me to receive a very high LSAT score to even make some of these schools debatable. I don't think I need to be beaten down for my belief that I might be able to create a situation that puts me in contention for some of the better law schools in the nation. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. We'll find out when the admissions' decisions are returned to me. I admit that I didn't read the sticky at first in the forum and took the title of this forum at face-value. Otherwise, I would've refrained from posting until I received my LSAT scores lol.

I just wanted to have an amicable suggestion and receive constructive feedback not "lol this kid thinks he's gonna _________?" Save it. It's childish and not even necessary. If I'm wrong then let me be wrong. Don't tell me I'm not capable of obtaining a certain score though or that I'm 'delusional'. That's rude, unconstructive and hateful. Thank you!

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Do you not realize that you asked people to give you their opinions based on the [lack of] information that you provided then proceeded to tell everyone that their opinion is wrong? Like we're all legitimately saying this to you for you to prepare for the outcomes that you obviously haven't considered. The way you sound right now would suggest you would do something like only apply to HLS. No we're not adcomms but we are data points. If you want an adcomms opinion, either apply or seek out one who can be bothered to respond to such requests. It's not ire nor anger. I'm always taken aback by people who just want confirmation. I don't know you well enough to care about lying to spare your feelings.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 pm

grades?? wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Dude we get it. But your inferiority complex isn't going to help you get into schools. Facts are you have a 3.18 GPA. URM or not, that really really hurts for t14. A lot of us here have been around for a few years and see what happened with us and our classmates. I hope you do go out and score a 170+. But truth be told, applications are going up and so are higher scores. So there are more people with higher scores this cycle than last. Assuming that trend continues, schools don't need people with high lsat scores and low gpas as much. So it is probable, if not likely, if you do not score a 172+ish, that you will MAYBE get into 1 of the t14. Your gpa kills you and sorry for the facts. Regardless of the story, a gpa is a gpa.

Edit: also, I was practice testing 175+ for a month before my second attempt. I got a 164 on that attempt. It took me another 6 months to actually score a mid 170s on the lsat after having literally worked on the lsat every day for 11 months. So don't put the cart before the horse either buddy. For all you know, you get a 160 on test day and don't get into any top 50 schools. It is statistically way more likely for you to get a 160 then a 170+.

"But your inferiority complex"

Calm down. This is where your anger is too evident because this is a black and white, factual situation and you're playing therapist. Why?

"So it is probably, if not likely, if you do not score a 172+ish, that you will MAYBE get into 1 of the t14."

I absolutely agree with this statement.

"also, I was practice testing 175+...."

That's nice. But we aren't the same. We don't have the same mind, background, experiences or way of thinking. I could be PT'ing at a 170 and luck out on a test that suits me well and walk away with a 176. If you were actually simulating real test conditions and taking actual LSAT exams that were administered then I find it hard to believe you'd suffer a 10+ point drop from your PT on the day of the exam unless you have some serious test anxiety issues. And that's okay. Speculating about what could happen on the day of the LSAT for me is pointless. Especially for you because you don't even know if I'm not some random guy in his basement with a GED trolling the whole forum.

Here are the facts:

-My GPA is low. That was put front and center. I have no 'inferiority complex' about it because in the grand scheme of life it doesn't say much about someone's intelligence or character considering the enormous amount of other factors at play. Once again, I was unfortunately homeless after the loss of a family member in my freshman and sophomore years and once I was able to recover I consistently broke 3.7 every semester from Junior year to graduation.

-I need a HIGH LSAT score. Not pretty high, but high. This is a fact that hasn't been denied by me whatsoever. My post originally asked if ANY score north of 170 would grant me consideration. Sure a 3.18 GPA is a 3.18, but a 176 LSAT is a 176. Saying 'it isn't likely that you'll do it' is meaningless, speculative and made out of pure ignorance because you wouldn't be able to tell me from a hole in the wall if we walked by each other in the street. You know a couple numbers, my UG institution (not even sure I included that) and that's it.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
grades?? wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Dude we get it. But your inferiority complex isn't going to help you get into schools. Facts are you have a 3.18 GPA. URM or not, that really really hurts for t14. A lot of us here have been around for a few years and see what happened with us and our classmates. I hope you do go out and score a 170+. But truth be told, applications are going up and so are higher scores. So there are more people with higher scores this cycle than last. Assuming that trend continues, schools don't need people with high lsat scores and low gpas as much. So it is probable, if not likely, if you do not score a 172+ish, that you will MAYBE get into 1 of the t14. Your gpa kills you and sorry for the facts. Regardless of the story, a gpa is a gpa.

Calm down. This is where your anger is too evident because this is a black and white, factual situation and you're playing therapist. Why?

"So it is probably, if not likely, if you do not score a 172+ish, that you will MAYBE get into 1 of the t14."

That's nice. But we aren't the same. We don't have the same mind, background, experiences or way of thinking. I could be PT'ing at a 170 and luck out on a test that suits me well and walk away with a 176. If you were actually simulating real test conditions and taking actual LSAT exams that were administered then I find it hard to believe you'd suffer a 10+ point drop from your PT on the day of the exam unless you have some serious test anxiety issues. And that's okay. Speculating about what could happen on the day of the LSAT for me is pointless. Especially for you because you don't even know if I'm not some random guy in his basement with a GED trolling the whole forum.

Here are the facts:

-My GPA is low. That was put front and center. I have no 'inferiority complex' about it because in the grand scheme of life it doesn't say much about someone's intelligence or character considering the enormous amount of other factors at play. Once again, I was unfortunately homeless after the loss of a family member in my freshman and sophomore years and once I was able to recover I consistently broke 3.7 every semester from Junior year to graduation.

-I need a HIGH LSAT score. Not pretty high, but high. This is a fact that hasn't been denied by me whatsoever. My post originally asked if ANY score north of 170 would grant me consideration. Sure a 3.18 GPA is a 3.18, but a 176 LSAT is a 176. Saying 'it isn't likely that you'll do it' is meaningless, speculative and made out of pure ignorance because you wouldn't be able to tell me from a hole in the wall if we walked by each other in the street. You know a couple numbers, my UG institution (not even sure I included that) and that's it.[/quote]

Actually if you look at it, 10 point + drops on test day are not the exception. The general norm is that you will do 5 points lower than your practice test average. Get a hard lsat with a weird logic game, and boom thats -10 right there. So it is rather normal actually.

Listen man I sympathize with the struggle. But for you to come here, ask for chances and then disregard our collective opinions and looking only for confirmation of your faulty opinion, then fine. But that is all we are saying. All of this is moot until you get a 170+ lsat. But be warned, a 170+ lsat does not guarantee you jack s*^& because of that GPA for the t14. Next year could have a lot of URM applicants. Who knows? But don't disagree with the data points when you have nothing underlying your experience on admissions where most of us here do. I am in a t14 in class with URMs every day. I am myself a URM. I know what the GPAs and LSATs are for my fellow URMs. Your gpa sucks and getting a high lsat doesn't guarantee you anything. Nor does at 175+. Honestly, I hope you keep reading these forums and realize you aren't the special butterfly you think you are and work your ass off for that LSAT.
Last edited by grades?? on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:13 pm

:wink:
ih8makingscreennames wrote:Do you not realize that you asked people to give you their opinions based on the [lack of] information that you provided then proceeded to tell everyone that their opinion is wrong? Like we're all legitimately saying this to you for you to prepare for the outcomes that you obviously haven't considered. The way you sound right now would suggest you would do something like only apply to HLS. No we're not adcomms but we are data points. If you want an adcomms opinion, either apply or seek out one who can be bothered to respond to such requests. It's not ire nor anger. I'm always taken aback by people who just want confirmation. I don't know you well enough to care about lying to spare your feelings.

No, no one said anyone's opinion is WRONG. I said I respectfully disagree, and you got angry and said my opinion is wrong. Once again, I don't remember the caveat to posting here being, "You must accept all opinions given about your potential results as empirical fact."

"Like we're all legitimately saying this to you for you to prepare for the outcomes that you obviously haven't considered."

Really? You don't think I ever sat down and said "Harvard might say no." ? I said in my ORIGINAL post that that seems like a far-fetched possibility, even with the best LSAT score attached to my application. Like I said before, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. That's life. If I got into ANY T-14 school I'd consider it a blessing. There's extraordinarily gifted applicants looking to attend each one of the T-14s, so anything could happen. I just disagree with the idea that I wouldn't get into any T-14s. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

"The way you sound right now would suggest you would do something like only apply to HLS."

Are you crazy??? I'll apply to all the T-14 and everything below there that I can afford/get waivers for and weigh my options when all the dust settles and see what location works for me and what the best offer is if any schollies are put on the table.

I think we got off on the wrong foot and perhaps you may have imposed some assumptions about how I view this application process on the basis of your interactions with other members of this forum. I don't need anyone to 'lie' because at the end of the day whatever you say doesn't actually hold any weight on what the future will be. If you said "I don't think you'll get into ANY law school and you're a moron who won't crack a 165" then that's okay too lol. You don't know me and I don't know you. Why in the hell would I get offended or hurt about the opinions of people who I've never even seen before? For all we know, we're some guy in his mid 40s in some random basement somewhere in America bsing up here haha.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 pm

grades?? wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
grades?? wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Here are the facts:

-I need a HIGH LSAT score. Not pretty high, but high. This is a fact that hasn't been denied by me whatsoever. My post originally asked if ANY score north of 170 would grant me consideration. Sure a 3.18 GPA is a 3.18, but a 176 LSAT is a 176. Saying 'it isn't likely that you'll do it' is meaningless, speculative and made out of pure ignorance because you wouldn't be able to tell me from a hole in the wall if we walked by each other in the street. You know a couple numbers, my UG institution (not even sure I included that) and that's it.
Actually if you look at it, 10 point + drops on test day are not the exception. The general norm is that you will do 5 points lower than your practice test average. Get a hard lsat with a weird logic game, and boom thats -10 right there. So it is rather normal actually.

Listen man I sympathize with the struggle. But for you to come here, ask for chances and then disregard our collective opinions and looking only for confirmation of your faulty opinion, then fine. But that is all we are saying. All of this is moot until you get a 170+ lsat. But be warned, a 170+ lsat does not guarantee you jack s*^& because of that GPA for the t14. Next year could have a lot of URM applicants. Who knows? But don't disagree with the data points when you have nothing underlying your experience on admissions where most of us here do. I am in a t14 in class with URMs every day. I am myself a URM. I know what the GPAs and LSATs are for my fellow URMs. Your gpa sucks and getting a high lsat doesn't guarantee you anything. Nor does at 175+. Honestly, I hope you keep reading these forums and realize you aren't the special butterfly you think you are and work your ass off for that LSAT.[/quote]

10+ drops are pretty substantial. That's not a knock to you. I consider you every bit as smart as someone who can accomplish a 170+ or even a 180 on the LSAT. You have nothing to prove to me and I will take whatever you say about yourself at face value because I know nothing about you to suggest otherwise. If you were scoring a 175+ and happened to walk away with a 160-170 then I would consider it an unfortunate aberration and honestly advise you to take it again because you clearly have the talent and intelligence to crack well over 170. So there's no personal animosity here, okay?

"Actually if you look at it, 10 point + drops on test day are not the exception. The general norm is that you will do 5 points lower than your practice test average. Get a hard lsat with a weird logic game, and boom thats -10 right there. So it is rather normal actually."

Its not the exception, but not the norm. EVERYone works differently bro. Some people happen to score a couple points higher, MOST score lower but not substantially lower. 10 points is fairly substantial, but not impossible. Relax. You don't need to defend yourself to me.

" Honestly, I hope you keep reading these forums and realize you aren't the special butterfly you think you are and work your ass off for that LSAT."

Honestly, I hope that you release whatever anger you're holding and relax. Your personal assault on me doesn't mean sh*t either. Maybe you're angry that you couldn't hit a 170+ and you're determined to tell everyone else they won't either. That's unfortunate. No, I'm not going to religiously follow the data points because the data points don't reflect EVERY URM applicant and that's been stated in the sticky on this very forum. There's limited info. Its not me believing I have some superior knowledge here, but there is not enough data on URM, especially AA males, to make a definitive determination. I support my family, look after my siblings for my sick parent and study for the LSAT everyday. Don't try to come at me about working my ass off. You DON'T know me. Fall back a little bit.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Oh, and I do believe that I'm intelligent and I'm special and I believe that I'm going to score a 175+ on the LSAT. I really don't give a damn how many other people have said the same thing, what their results were or what YOUR results were. I don't care if anyone who ever said they were going to get a 175+ LSAT ended up getting less lol. I still believe I'm going to obtain that. Thank you. So if you're responding with a 'no you aren't!', save it because you're just wasting your time.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:42 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

LOL you are a URM with a 3.0 GPA and 161 LSAT. Why in the world would I be angry and insecure about such a mediocre (unqualified) applicant?

Go back and read all of your posts (and your repeat posts in different forums). Who is the "insecure" one here? LOLOL You are the one here looking for "speculative answers" to get validation and reassurance about your prospects due to your insecurity and anxiety. You're desperate, bro.

Your response to everything is "BUT IM PTING AT 170!" to which everyone's response is "...OK, then come back after you get the actual score; until then, this is a waste of time."

No need for further discussion if you don't have a real LSAT score. I challenge you to post your score report, since you're so confident.
Last edited by HYPSM on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:Oh, and I do believe that I'm intelligent and I'm special and I believe that I'm going to score a 175+ on the LSAT. I really don't give a damn how many other people have said the same thing, what their results were or what YOUR results were. I don't care if anyone who ever said they were going to get a 175+ LSAT ended up getting less lol. I still believe I'm going to obtain that. Thank you. So if you're responding with a 'no you aren't!', save it because you're just wasting your time.
LOLOLOLOL You're so desperate and insecure; it's almost like you're trying to convince yourself that you're intelligent and special. Dude, you're wasting your time; go study for the LSAT, kill it, and post the score report for us.

End of thread.

TheDapperDruid

New

Post by TheDapperDruid » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 pm

[quote/]10+ drops are pretty substantial. That's not a knock to you. I consider you every bit as smart as someone who can accomplish a 170+ or even a 180 on the LSAT. You have nothing to prove to me and I will take whatever you say about yourself at face value because I know nothing about you to suggest otherwise. If you were scoring a 175+ and happened to walk away with a 160-170 then I would consider it an unfortunate aberration and honestly advise you to take it again because you clearly have the talent and intelligence to crack well over 170. So there's no personal animosity here, okay?

"Actually if you look at it, 10 point + drops on test day are not the exception. The general norm is that you will do 5 points lower than your practice test average. Get a hard lsat with a weird logic game, and boom thats -10 right there. So it is rather normal actually."

Its not the exception, but not the norm. EVERYone works differently bro. Some people happen to score a couple points higher, MOST score lower but not substantially lower. 10 points is fairly substantial, but not impossible. Relax. You don't need to defend yourself to me.

" Honestly, I hope you keep reading these forums and realize you aren't the special butterfly you think you are and work your ass off for that LSAT."

Honestly, I hope that you release whatever anger you're holding and relax. Your personal assault on me doesn't mean sh*t either. Maybe you're angry that you couldn't hit a 170+ and you're determined to tell everyone else they won't either. That's unfortunate. No, I'm not going to religiously follow the data points because the data points don't reflect EVERY URM applicant and that's been stated in the sticky on this very forum. There's limited info. Its not me believing I have some superior knowledge here, but there is not enough data on URM, especially AA males, to make a definitive determination. I support my family, look after my siblings for my sick parent and study for the LSAT everyday. Don't try to come at me about working my ass off. You DON'T know me. Fall back a little bit.[/quote]

Frankly, I feel that most people aren't reacting too well to your responses because they provided you with an objective answer to your relatively straightforward question of what your HLS chances are, and you proceeded to essentially wave off their opinion and say that you're an exception to the statistics.

As much as we would all like to think we are special, the fact remains that the path of others in similar situations is most likely to predict our fates in the cycle. Admissions is very much a numbers game, and the prediction of one's outcome is inherently going to reflect that.

Although there may be few data points, I'd say that there are enough to provide a general idea of what your prospects look like. The unfortunate truth is that your GPA very much hurts your chances, and no matter what LSAT score you get, it is not likely to give you great chances of acceptance at any T-14.

But as you said, there is literally only one way to find out; go take that LSAT, apply early, and let us know what happens. Best of luck on your retake!

Edit: I just looked at the data points on myLSN, and the highest LSAT was a 168 coupled with a 3.1 GPA. All others were below that in LSAT score. If your myLSN search is not only AA specific, then it shows that your odds within the T-14 are at or below 25% with any LSAT score.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:51 am

HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:Oh, and I do believe that I'm intelligent and I'm special and I believe that I'm going to score a 175+ on the LSAT. I really don't give a damn how many other people have said the same thing, what their results were or what YOUR results were. I don't care if anyone who ever said they were going to get a 175+ LSAT ended up getting less lol. I still believe I'm going to obtain that. Thank you. So if you're responding with a 'no you aren't!', save it because you're just wasting your time.
LOLOLOLOL You're so desperate and insecure; it's almost like you're trying to convince yourself that you're intelligent and special. Dude, you're wasting your time; go study for the LSAT, kill it, and post the score report for us.

End of thread.

Look at you pleading for my attention. You're so insecure about your own life you project your failures on me. Idiot.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:55 am

HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

LOL you are a URM with a 3.0 GPA and 161 LSAT. Why in the world would I be angry and insecure about such a mediocre (unqualified) applicant?

Go back and read all of your posts (and your repeat posts in different forums). Who is the "insecure" one here? LOLOL You are the one here looking for "speculative answers" to get validation and reassurance about your prospects due to your insecurity and anxiety. You're desperate, bro.

Your response to everything is "BUT IM PTING AT 170!" to which everyone's response is "...OK, then come back after you get the actual score; until then, this is a waste of time."

No need for further discussion if you don't have a real LSAT score. I challenge you to post your score report, since you're so confident.
You're the dumbass who came into the exam scoring a full 10 points lower than your PT. Either you're retarded or you were so anxious you nearly sh*t your pants on test day. In either case, you would never handle the pressure of working in a law firm or even succeeding at a T3 law school. Don't be angry at me because you don't have the mental capabilities to convert your studies into tangible results.

"I was PTing AT A 176 AND GOT A 160! THAT'S NORMAL!" No, you're a dumb ass and you can't even handle a modicum of pressure. Its a standardized exam that you can study for. If you know how to do the problems then you know how to do them. There's no tricky science to this. Only someone like you can fumble the ball, ruin your own prospects and then bitterly lurk the forums of prospective law school students hoping to redeem their own failures by imposing this on other students.

Your so pathetic, desperate and insecure that I feel sorry for you. You should be focusing on passing law school instead of dwelling on your past failures. I'm sincerely sorry you don't have the intellectual capacity to succeed in life and actually show up and perform. Must suck to know you CHOKE on big exams lmfao. Oh well. When I get my 175, I'll happily PM you and make sure to throw a screenshot of the score in there too. I'll post all the law schools I get into as well. Most likely will be a slew of schools that told you 'no' outright. Don't worry, you can live vicariously through me lmfaoooo.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”