(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rfhassan

Postby rfhassan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magnum_law

Re: SEO--Finding housing

Postby magnum_law » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:26 pm

I've heard a lot about Airbnb for these types of situations

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Airbnb probably wouldn't be ideal for 2 months. Lucky for you, NY is probably the easiest city to find last minute housing. Honestly, you can start your search 2 weeks before you move and you'll be fine. I believe SEO will give you a list of recommended outlets to rent from for the summer, but you can always go the craigslist route. Did craiglist a few summers ago for 2 months and it worked out fine.

gamerish

Postby gamerish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:28 pm

I think NYU lets you rent from their law school housing for the summer even if you're not enrolling there next year.

I know a lot of Columbia students sublet too since they have 12 month leases through the school, if you don't mind the train ride downtown.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm

gamerish wrote:I think NYU lets you rent from their law school housing for the summer even if you're not enrolling there next year.

I know a lot of Columbia students sublet too since they have 12 month leases through the school, if you don't mind the train ride downtown.

NYU law housing for the summer is SUPER expensive (or at least it was like 3 years ago. Going to assume things haven't changed). You're also going to need to pay most of the costs upfront. As in before your first paycheck. If money is not an issue for you, then fire away. The apartments are also super nice, but unless you are wealthy and your parents are going to be paying for it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Budfox55 wrote:
gamerish wrote:I think NYU lets you rent from their law school housing for the summer even if you're not enrolling there next year.

NYU law housing for the summer is SUPER expensive (or at least it was like 3 years ago. Going to assume things haven't changed). You're also going to need to pay most of the costs upfront. As in before your first paycheck. If money is not an issue for you, then fire away. The apartments are also super nice, but unless you are wealthy and your parents are going to be paying for it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Actually, doesn't matter anyway : http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/summerho ... nginnyslny

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:12 pm

The sublet-from-a-Columbia-grad-student route is def probably one of the cheapest without having to venture TOO far uptown or deep into brooklyn or Queens. I did this one summer and had a generally positive experience. Also very easy bc as gamerish mentioned, a lot of students have 12-month leases and many leave for the summer. If you have money saved up though and could afford to spend ~$200-300/mo more, I would try to seek out a sublet in Murray Hill (caution if you're far removed from college), Hell's Kitchen, or the UWS. All of these locations are pretty close to midtown which is where most firms are located. Williamsburg is also nice, but a little pricy. If your firm is located in Fidi, Fidi has some decently priced options in luxury apartments. Would also check out the east village and the LES (again caution. LES might be a little too much for some ppl).

If cost is not an issue, check out Soho, West Village, and TriBeca.

If cost is an issue, check out LES (less room, but closer), Flatbush, Chinatown, Astoria, and Harlem.

If cost is REALLY an issue, check out other areas of Queens, deep brooklyn, Washington Heights/Dyckman, and the Bronx.

rfhassan

Postby rfhassan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:31 pm

rfhassan wrote:
Budfox55 wrote:

The sublet-from-a-Columbia-grad-student route is def probably one of the cheapest without having to venture TOO far uptown or deep into brooklyn or Queens. I did this one summer and had a generally positive experience. Also very easy bc as gamerish mentioned, a lot of students have 12-month leases and many leave for the summer. If you have money saved up though and could afford to spend ~$200-300/mo more, I would try to seek out a sublet in Murray Hill (caution if you're far removed from college), Hell's Kitchen, or the UWS. All of these locations are pretty close to midtown which is where most firms are located. Williamsburg is also nice, but a little pricy. If your firm is located in Fidi, Fidi has some decently priced options in luxury apartments. Would also check out the east village and the LES (again caution. LES might be a little too much for some ppl).

If cost is an issue, check out LES (less room, but closer), Flatbush, Chinatown, Astoria, and Harlem.

If cost is REALLY an issue, check out other areas of Queens, deep brooklyn, Washington Heights/Dyckman, and the Bronx.

How would I find apartments from columbia students?

Craigslist. If you look at the area Morning Side Heights in your search, a large percentage will be from Columbia students. A decent amount from Harlem and the UWS will also come from Columbia students.

gamerish

Postby gamerish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Budfox55 wrote:
rfhassan wrote:
Budfox55 wrote:

How would I find apartments from columbia students?

Craigslist. If you look at the area Morning Side Heights in your search, a large percentage will be from Columbia students. A decent amount from Harlem and the UWS will also come from Columbia students.

You can also find listings on Columbia's own housing website since they help current students sub-let their places

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/overview-5

rfhassan

Postby rfhassan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bellanoche2019

Postby bellanoche2019 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Bumping this post for those who selected non NY destinations for SEO

snm263

Postby snm263 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:02 pm

rfhassan wrote:Thank you!

I may have a lead on a place. Any native new yorkers know if bedford-stuy is an okay neighborhood. Also, long would it take via subway to get to manhattan?

Bedstuy is a pretty cool, overly-gentrified neighborhood and it's only 15-30 minutes outside of Manhattan. Diverse, young, semi-hipster crowd. Good food, interesting art scene, easy access, a couple of parks and museums. Great place to be during the summer. Let me know if you need details.

How were you notified that you got into SEO? Phone Call? What day did they notify you and what day do you start? Do you know which firm?

snm263

Postby snm263 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 pm

I went to NYU for undergrad and I've lived in Manhattan for 7, almost 8 years. Here are some good sites to use to find housing.
I also might have a room opening up in my brownstone apartment on the Upper East Side in June if anyone is interested.

http://streeteasy.com/

http://www.zillow.com/

http://www.trulia.com/

https://www.renthop.com/

AirBnB

And please don't sleep on CraigsList. I found great apartments on craigslist and it's not as sketchy as it sounds.

[will update as I think of more]

lawschoolbound2016

Postby lawschoolbound2016 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:27 pm

If anyone is still looking for summer housing in NYC, please see below!

I along with another SEO participant (both female) will be subleasing a three bedroom apartment near Columbia from May 15-July 31. We are looking for a third person to join us, male or female! Rent is $1300 per bedroom. There is only one bathroom, but it's a decent size. The kitchen and living room areas are spacious as well. We thought it would be a great idea to have another SEO intern living with us rather than a random person. If you're interested, please message me directly.

lawschoolbound2016

Postby lawschoolbound2016 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 pm

lawschoolbound2016 wrote:If anyone is still looking for summer housing in NYC, please see below!

I along with another SEO participant (both female) will be subleasing a three bedroom apartment near Columbia from May 15-July 31. We are looking for a third person to join us, male or female! Rent is $1300 per bedroom. There is only one bathroom, but it's a decent size. The kitchen and living room areas are spacious as well. We thought it would be a great idea to have another SEO intern living with us rather than a random person. If you're interested, please message me directly.

We've found someone! Thanks to all who inquired.

happy2014

Postby happy2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:43 pm

lawschoolbound2016 wrote:
lawschoolbound2016 wrote:If anyone is still looking for summer housing in NYC, please see below!

We've found someone! Thanks to all who inquired.

Is it still open? Just returning your message!

lawschoolbound2016

Postby lawschoolbound2016 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am

Sorry we received a lot of replies and found someone almost immediately! Thanks for inquiring.

NYAssoc

Postby NYAssoc » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 am

I am also subleasing my apartment - PM me for details.

rfhassan

Postby rfhassan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

happypanda182

Postby happypanda182 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Hello!

I have been accepted to the Washington DC SEO. Is anyone else looking to share housing? PM me please!

Thanks

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”