Political affiliation in a diversity statement? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Political affiliation in a diversity statement?

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Hey y'all,
So I'm wondering if it would be alright to briefly talk about my political affiliation as a Republican in a diversity statement or if it's too polarizing or nonsensical. I'm asking because not only would the simple fact that I'm a Republican add diversity to any law school as the are well known for being overwhelmingly liberal, but I'm a black, female, atheist, conservative Republican which adds an entire other dimension too it. Many people believe that my identities are a novelty and that people like me don't exist. I think that the ways in which these identities intersect give me an extremely interesting perspectives on issues and that they would add a lot to class room discussion/ representation/ and diversity of thought at a law school. So, is political affiliation a taboo no no in diversity statements or do you think it would be good to discuss in my case?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: Political affiliation in a diversity statement?

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:17 pm

I don't think it would be taboo to right a diversity statement on your political affiliation. You should write it first and then revisit this question/see how you feel afterwards.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:20 pm

I would imagine that walking through life with this combination of attributes has given you a unique experience to say the least. You should definitely talk about it. But in talking about it, you should stay focused on how your beliefs have shaped your identity and how they will help you to contribute to the diversity of the law school. Don't use your diversity statement to go deep into the parameters of your beliefs or on any issue type stuff.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:03 pm

Thank you guys so much! I will definitely make sure to directly address how it helped shape my perspective and make sure to stay out of the polarizing political weeds

lawstoodent

New

Post by lawstoodent » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Last edited by lawstoodent on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:20 pm

According to this Stanford study, political bias can be worse than racial bias in the evaluation of students (see page 14).

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Hey y'all,
So I'm wondering if it would be alright to briefly talk about my political affiliation as a Republican in a diversity statement or if it's too polarizing or nonsensical. I'm asking because not only would the simple fact that I'm a Republican add diversity to any law school as the are well known for being overwhelmingly liberal, but I'm a black, female, atheist, conservative Republican which adds an entire other dimension too it. Many people believe that my identities are a novelty and that people like me don't exist. I think that the ways in which these identities intersect give me an extremely interesting perspectives on issues and that they would add a lot to class room discussion/ representation/ and diversity of thought at a law school. So, is political affiliation a taboo no no in diversity statements or do you think it would be good to discuss in my case?
There is no situation in any possible world where this is a good idea. Zero. None. Don't do this.

Goldchain

New

Post by Goldchain » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:03 am

Sticky situation. Your chance to offend someone is too high. And a good quote from one of my favorite books The 48 Laws of Power says to be careful to not offend the wrong person. In your case, it seems the adcomm would be the wrong people to offend.

Play it safe ;)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:36 am

Unlike conservatives, the people who build these classes really give a shit about diversity. I think they're all professional enough to not penalize you for being... ideologically diverse.

And please include some conversation in your essay on the metairony of trying to package your race as a plus factor in admissions (taking advantage of affirmative action schemes) while being a "conservative Republican."

Aristogeiton1

New

Post by Aristogeiton1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 am

Being a Republican will not add diversity to any law school.
Being a *Black female atheist would be.
If you can connect all four of these identities into something you've actually done, it would sound a lot less ridiculous than it already does.

*Female Black atheist
**Atheist Black female

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:24 am

Also, be sure to mention your position on Trump.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:57 pm

I see the point about not offending anyone and I think youre correct.

I don't see how being a black conservative doesn't add *any* diversity to any law school which are notoriously liberal. Isn't intellectual diversity and the diverse way in which people approach issues the most important kind of diversity in an academic setting?

footballlax55

New

Post by footballlax55 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:28 am

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I see the point about not offending anyone and I think youre correct.

I don't see how being a black conservative doesn't add *any* diversity to any law school which are notoriously liberal. Isn't intellectual diversity and the diverse way in which people approach issues the most important kind of diversity in an academic setting?
Even if they are important kinds of diversity, it's not worth the risk. The potential benefit of you including your political stance won't be much, but the potential drawback of being rejected by a vindictive liberal would be devastating.

At the very least you might want to do something like make 2 versions of your statement and then only send the one that also includes stuff about your political identity to some schools just in case.

I've had professors before who have done everything from make a bunch of anti-conservative jokes to damn near ridicule a student for expressing a conservative view. Same with people in undergrad admissions. All it takes is one of those types of people reviewing your application and you're screwed.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:03 am

Reality has a well known liberal bias.

Seriously though, unless you say something crazy adcomms aren't going to really care about your politics.

The closer you get to supporting trump, saying possibly racist/bigoted/homophobic/Xenophobic things, or other hot button issues (abortion!) the bigger chance of having problems. Oh, I wouldn't mention guns either. Nobody really gives a shit though that for some reason you think the government can function on a 25% top marginal tax rate.

Gtr411

New

Post by Gtr411 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:43 am

Don't do it. Most people in law school admissions are going to lean left, and as you've seen from several responses to your post, people will unfairly attack you and project their own biases onto you. You already on getting an advantage because of your race. Don't blow it by pissing someone off. The risk reward just doesn't make since here.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:06 am

Obviously, I'm not sure how they would take it, but to me it seems like a bit much. Unless you have a REALLY good way of presenting it, I'd leave it out, because to me it's kind of like "Okay.... and? Why do I care? I don't," unless you can tie it into a bigger picture of who you are.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:35 pm

I promise you, lefty adcomms (at most schools) are not interested in ideological diversity. They'll treat you like you've been treated in this thread. Stick to the type of diversity they love, and you'll be set.

galadriel3019

New

Post by galadriel3019 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 am

I see the merits of both sides of the argument. It is risky, but at the same time, if written well, would highlight some unique perspectives you'd bring to a school. I'd advise you at least write a draft and get some people to look at it. Especially if you could get a professor of yours to read it. Their insight into whether it hits the right note would be invaluable.

You have plenty of time before applications can even be turned in. So if you have the time in your schedule, I'd say at the very least try your hand at crafting it.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:41 am

It's a highly polarizing election where some compare Trump to Hitler. Your going to come out and say you support Hitler and expect to be admitted?

GoldVault

New

Post by GoldVault » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Aristogeiton1 wrote:Being a Republican will not add diversity to any law school.
Being a *Black female atheist would be.
If you can connect all four of these identities into something you've actually done, it would sound a lot less ridiculous than it already does.

Yeah I agree with this wholeheartedly. So you are a black Republican Atheist, so was I--what have you done to advance those beliefs and or give your underrepresented profile more exposure at your university? That's what counts.

*Female Black atheist
**Atheist Black female

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:36 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
It's a highly polarizing election where some compare Trump to Hitler. Your going to come out and say you support Hitler and expect to be admitted?

Yea, it really depends on what you are going to talk about. I would avoid Trump, and really controversial stuff, or anything that could be seen as an issue going forward (eg being really into concealed carry on campus). Nobody is going to care either way though if you volunteered for some House campaign.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Honestly, there are already plenty of Republicans (maybe not conservatives) in law schools. You can include the Republican aspect as part of your diversity statement but I would focus on the characteristics you have that actually are underrepresented. The only people I see saying there aren't any Republicans in law schools are (1) people who have never been to law school or (2) now Republican politicians trying to tout their bona fides.

dwil770

Gold

Post by dwil770 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:48 pm

I'd stick to writing about your minority statuses where people are no longer allowed to be prejudiced. As you can see from this thread, the hatred towards folks on the right is in full force, and it is particularly bad in this profession. Just put your head down, plow through, and overcome.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”