AA Male 3.70 GPA advise? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AlexanderJordan

New

AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Post by AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:52 pm

H
Last edited by AlexanderJordan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AfrocentricAsian

Bronze

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Post by AfrocentricAsian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS
Is a 3.70 really good enough for HYS?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:31 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS
Yale probably not unless you get a 180. But for Stanford and especially HLS yes it's good enough.

But I'd be more worried about that LSAT right now. You need to hit 165+ for things to really open up at those schools.

Keep studying hard and see where you are in May to decide whether you should take the June exam.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!
You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
5. UCLA (these guys are weird)-165
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

Keep studying! Get that score as high as you can!

AfrocentricAsian

Bronze

Post by AfrocentricAsian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
Yea...as a black applicant with that gpa, the only thing that's stopping you from getting into those schools is the LSAT. Put all of your time and energy into it.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
Definitely good enough for H. 3.7+/165+ gives you a better than coin flip's chance at H.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Last edited by Iam3hunna on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

Aim as high as you can. No short circuiting. If you get a 164 you will have stats almost identical to mine and I've cracked schools in the T-14 and some in the T-6

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the responses! It gave me a much needed boost of confidence.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 pm

3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!
A 167+ would get me good money in top 6?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:14 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!
A 167+ would get me good money in top 6?
Folks in the 3.7/167+ range have gotten $90-$105 from Columbia in the past, so yes. Chicago is very stingy and I haven't seen much from NYU other than AnBryce/RTK folks. I don't remember seeing many URMs in these parts who take NYU with just your standard merit scholarship.

In HYS land, it's all need-based.

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Edited Out
Last edited by ConLaw2017 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:37 am

ConLaw2017 wrote:Hi All,

I will be applying to law schools later this year. However, I am quite concerned about my job prospects which I have been told (either rightly or wrongly) is more or less indexed to the quality of the school one attends. Would anyone be willing to give me advice on the LSAT score I would need in order to have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, UVA, Texas, and Penn? Full disclosure - I know that YHS tend to be a black boxs but I am simply seeking a well informed estimate at this point. Here are my stats

UGPA: 4.06; Rank x<3%
Institution: HYPS
Ethnicity: AA
Sex: Male
LSAT: Unknown but projected to be between 160-170 (yes, I know that this does not provide much guidance)
Major: Political Science/Minor History
Extracurricular Activities: Debate, Black Pre-Law Association, NAACP, ACLU, Undergrad History Journal, SLS Law Review (no questions - please), Investments Club, Political Science Honor Society, History Honor Society, American Criminal Justice Honor Society, FEDSOC, ACS, ABA, and Texas Notary Public, Two mid level positions in student government
Publications: Academic Papers in 4 different journals and political articles in 3 different publications
Letters of recommendation: These guys: https://law.stanford.edu/directory/mich ... cconnell/; https://law.stanford.edu/directory/nathaniel-persily/
Work Experience: RA for 4 different law professors working in 4 different disciplines and worked for a presidential candidate in the current cycle (I will not name him)
Softs: Undergraduate transcript has 10 law school classes on it and counting (will this hurt me?), single parent household and the whole nine yards in terms of hard upbringing in an urban area

Thanks Again!
No chance at T-14. Apply only to Nova Southeastern or Barry. Maybe a Hail Mary at Cooley if you're feeling confident.

JonTheMandamus

New

Post by JonTheMandamus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:14 am

Iam3hunna wrote:

I will be applying to law schools later this year. However, I am quite concerned about my job prospects which I have been told (either rightly or wrongly) is more or less indexed to the quality of the school one attends. Would anyone be willing to give me advice on the LSAT score I would need in order to have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, UVA, Texas, and Penn? Full disclosure - I know that YHS tend to be a black boxs but I am simply seeking a well informed estimate at this point. Here are my stats

LSAT: Unknown but projected to be between 160-170 (yes, I know that this does not provide much guidance)
Extracurricular Activities: Debate, Black Pre-Law Association, NAACP, ACLU, Undergrad History Journal, SLS Law Review (no questions - please), Investments Club, Political Science Honor Society, History Honor Society, American Criminal Justice Honor Society, FEDSOC, ACS, ABA, and Texas Notary Public, Two mid level positions in student government
Publications: Academic Papers in 4 different journals and political articles in 3 different publications
Letters of recommendation: These guys: https://law.stanford.edu/directory/mich ... cconnell/; https://law.stanford.edu/directory/nathaniel-persily/
Work Experience: RA for 4 different law professors working in 4 different disciplines and worked for a presidential candidate in the current cycle (I will not name him)
Softs: Undergraduate transcript has 10 law school classes on it and counting (will this hurt me?), single parent household and the whole nine yards in terms of hard upbringing in an urban area

Thanks Again!
No chance at T-14. Apply only to Nova Southeastern or Barry. Maybe a Hail Mary at Cooley if you're feeling confident.
Regrettably, your softs are lacking. The top schools are really only looking for 3+ years partner experience at a V5.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 am

Thanks Again!
You're good almost everywhere you go +165 or above, with maybe the exception of Yale. These guys are just giving you a hard time.

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 pm

fliptrip wrote:
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

I probably should have included Arizona State as well since I am from Arizona. Do you mind if I ask the same question about that school as well? As well as what score it would take to get a scholarship there? Thanks again!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:51 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

I probably should have included Arizona State as well since I am from Arizona. Do you mind if I ask the same question about that school as well? As well as what score it would take to get a scholarship there? Thanks again!
For Arizona State with a 3.7 anything above a 160 should be a safe bet to get some $$ What are your goals post law school? If you're looking to work in Arizona then that may be an option with a fully scholly. However, with that GPA you have the potential to go to a much higher ranked school with better national recognition...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

For Arizona State with a 3.7 anything above a 160 should be a safe bet to get some $$ What are your goals post law school? If you're looking to work in Arizona then that may be an option with a fully scholly. However, with that GPA you have the potential to go to a much higher ranked school with better national recognition...
Thanks for the reply. I am from Arizona and have lived there my entire life so I wouldn't be opposed to working there after school. I know the big law appeal isn't the greatest and the average salary isn't at 160k, but it's where I grew up and all of my family is lol. If I did want to practice in Arizona then ASU on a full scholarship doesn't sound too bad.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

No problem man. I guess it will all come down to where you want to practice, and what you want to do. You're in a really great position to kill the LSAT and make this next cycle your b%tch. Just don't let that URM boost and ASU lsat-median lower your drive and cause complacency w/ the LSAT.

Good luck :D
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm

2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I'm a little late, but I still want to put my two cents in! Ok, your current stats are similar to mine (3.8, 155) and I got into some pretty good schools. I'd say you have a shot at all T14, even with the 157, except HYS. Very small chances at CCN, but a chance nonetheless. UCLA is very unpredictable. You're good, with money, at Emory and USC for sure (woohoo, that's where I'm going! lol). If you can crack a 165, you'll be in a great place!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”