AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:52 pm

I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!

AfrocentricAsian
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AfrocentricAsian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS

AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS


Is a 3.70 really good enough for HYS?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:31 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS


Is a 3.70 really good enough for HYS?


Yale probably not unless you get a 180. But for Stanford and especially HLS yes it's good enough.

But I'd be more worried about that LSAT right now. You need to hit 165+ for things to really open up at those schools.

Keep studying hard and see where you are in May to decide whether you should take the June exam.

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby fliptrip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
5. UCLA (these guys are weird)-165
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

Keep studying! Get that score as high as you can!

AfrocentricAsian
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AfrocentricAsian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS


Is a 3.70 really good enough for HYS?

Yea...as a black applicant with that gpa, the only thing that's stopping you from getting into those schools is the LSAT. Put all of your time and energy into it.

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby fliptrip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
AfrocentricAsian wrote:Aim for 180, its doable. Use the LSAT prep section of the forum for advice on how to improve. Kill the test and then go to HYS


Is a 3.70 really good enough for HYS?


Definitely good enough for H. 3.7+/165+ gives you a better than coin flip's chance at H.

User avatar
Iam3hunna
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Iam3hunna » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

.
Last edited by Iam3hunna on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Iam3hunna
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Iam3hunna » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


Aim as high as you can. No short circuiting. If you get a 164 you will have stats almost identical to mine and I've cracked schools in the T-14 and some in the T-6

AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the responses! It gave me a much needed boost of confidence.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2432
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 pm

3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!

AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!


A 167+ would get me good money in top 6?

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby fliptrip » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:14 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:3.7 with URM can get you any of CCN and H with $ with the right LSAT. Get it to a 167+ and shoot of course for 180. You got it!


A 167+ would get me good money in top 6?


Folks in the 3.7/167+ range have gotten $90-$105 from Columbia in the past, so yes. Chicago is very stingy and I haven't seen much from NYU other than AnBryce/RTK folks. I don't remember seeing many URMs in these parts who take NYU with just your standard merit scholarship.

In HYS land, it's all need-based.

ConLaw2017
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby ConLaw2017 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Edited Out
Last edited by ConLaw2017 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Iam3hunna
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Iam3hunna » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:37 am

ConLaw2017 wrote:Hi All,

I will be applying to law schools later this year. However, I am quite concerned about my job prospects which I have been told (either rightly or wrongly) is more or less indexed to the quality of the school one attends. Would anyone be willing to give me advice on the LSAT score I would need in order to have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, UVA, Texas, and Penn? Full disclosure - I know that YHS tend to be a black boxs but I am simply seeking a well informed estimate at this point. Here are my stats

UGPA: 4.06; Rank x<3%
Institution: HYPS
Ethnicity: AA
Sex: Male
LSAT: Unknown but projected to be between 160-170 (yes, I know that this does not provide much guidance)
Major: Political Science/Minor History
Extracurricular Activities: Debate, Black Pre-Law Association, NAACP, ACLU, Undergrad History Journal, SLS Law Review (no questions - please), Investments Club, Political Science Honor Society, History Honor Society, American Criminal Justice Honor Society, FEDSOC, ACS, ABA, and Texas Notary Public, Two mid level positions in student government
Publications: Academic Papers in 4 different journals and political articles in 3 different publications
Letters of recommendation: These guys: https://law.stanford.edu/directory/mich ... cconnell/; https://law.stanford.edu/directory/nathaniel-persily/
Work Experience: RA for 4 different law professors working in 4 different disciplines and worked for a presidential candidate in the current cycle (I will not name him)
Softs: Undergraduate transcript has 10 law school classes on it and counting (will this hurt me?), single parent household and the whole nine yards in terms of hard upbringing in an urban area

Thanks Again!


No chance at T-14. Apply only to Nova Southeastern or Barry. Maybe a Hail Mary at Cooley if you're feeling confident.

JonTheMandamus
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby JonTheMandamus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:14 am

Iam3hunna wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:Hi All,

I will be applying to law schools later this year. However, I am quite concerned about my job prospects which I have been told (either rightly or wrongly) is more or less indexed to the quality of the school one attends. Would anyone be willing to give me advice on the LSAT score I would need in order to have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, UVA, Texas, and Penn? Full disclosure - I know that YHS tend to be a black boxs but I am simply seeking a well informed estimate at this point. Here are my stats

UGPA: 4.06; Rank x<3%
Institution: HYPS
Ethnicity: AA
Sex: Male
LSAT: Unknown but projected to be between 160-170 (yes, I know that this does not provide much guidance)
Major: Political Science/Minor History
Extracurricular Activities: Debate, Black Pre-Law Association, NAACP, ACLU, Undergrad History Journal, SLS Law Review (no questions - please), Investments Club, Political Science Honor Society, History Honor Society, American Criminal Justice Honor Society, FEDSOC, ACS, ABA, and Texas Notary Public, Two mid level positions in student government
Publications: Academic Papers in 4 different journals and political articles in 3 different publications
Letters of recommendation: These guys: https://law.stanford.edu/directory/mich ... cconnell/; https://law.stanford.edu/directory/nathaniel-persily/
Work Experience: RA for 4 different law professors working in 4 different disciplines and worked for a presidential candidate in the current cycle (I will not name him)
Softs: Undergraduate transcript has 10 law school classes on it and counting (will this hurt me?), single parent household and the whole nine yards in terms of hard upbringing in an urban area

Thanks Again!


No chance at T-14. Apply only to Nova Southeastern or Barry. Maybe a Hail Mary at Cooley if you're feeling confident.


Regrettably, your softs are lacking. The top schools are really only looking for 3+ years partner experience at a V5.

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 am

ConLaw2017 wrote:Hi All,

I will be applying to law schools later this year. However, I am quite concerned about my job prospects which I have been told (either rightly or wrongly) is more or less indexed to the quality of the school one attends. Would anyone be willing to give me advice on the LSAT score I would need in order to have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, UVA, Texas, and Penn? Full disclosure - I know that YHS tend to be a black boxs but I am simply seeking a well informed estimate at this point. Here are my stats

UGPA: 4.06; Rank x<3%
Institution: HYPS
Ethnicity: AA
Sex: Male
LSAT: Unknown but projected to be between 160-170 (yes, I know that this does not provide much guidance)
Major: Political Science/Minor History
Extracurricular Activities: Debate, Black Pre-Law Association, NAACP, ACLU, Undergrad History Journal, SLS Law Review (no questions - please), Investments Club, Political Science Honor Society, History Honor Society, American Criminal Justice Honor Society, FEDSOC, ACS, ABA, and Texas Notary Public, Two mid level positions in student government
Publications: Academic Papers in 4 different journals and political articles in 3 different publications
Letters of recommendation: These guys: https://law.stanford.edu/directory/mich ... cconnell/; https://law.stanford.edu/directory/nathaniel-persily/
Work Experience: RA for 4 different law professors working in 4 different disciplines and worked for a presidential candidate in the current cycle (I will not name him)
Softs: Undergraduate transcript has 10 law school classes on it and counting (will this hurt me?), single parent household and the whole nine yards in terms of hard upbringing in an urban area

Thanks Again!


You're good almost everywhere you go +165 or above, with maybe the exception of Yale. These guys are just giving you a hard time.

AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 pm

fliptrip wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
5. UCLA (these guys are weird)-165
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

Keep studying! Get that score as high as you can!


I probably should have included Arizona State as well since I am from Arizona. Do you mind if I ask the same question about that school as well? As well as what score it would take to get a scholarship there? Thanks again!

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2432
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:51 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
5. UCLA (these guys are weird)-165
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

Keep studying! Get that score as high as you can!


I probably should have included Arizona State as well since I am from Arizona. Do you mind if I ask the same question about that school as well? As well as what score it would take to get a scholarship there? Thanks again!


For Arizona State with a 3.7 anything above a 160 should be a safe bet to get some $$ What are your goals post law school? If you're looking to work in Arizona then that may be an option with a fully scholly. However, with that GPA you have the potential to go to a much higher ranked school with better national recognition...

AlexanderJordan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby AlexanderJordan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


You have a very good GPA (good job!). So, you're looking at 160 minimum in general for any of the schools you're targeting. More specifically...

1. Stanford-165
2. Columbia-160
3. Chicago-161
4. Berkeley-160
5. UCLA (these guys are weird)-165
6. Emory-155, yup, folks get in there with a 155. They are paying sticker no doubt, so you don't want to be them.
7. NYU-160
8. NW-160
9. USC-160

Keep studying! Get that score as high as you can!


I probably should have included Arizona State as well since I am from Arizona. Do you mind if I ask the same question about that school as well? As well as what score it would take to get a scholarship there? Thanks again!


For Arizona State with a 3.7 anything above a 160 should be a safe bet to get some $$ What are your goals post law school? If you're looking to work in Arizona then that may be an option with a fully scholly. However, with that GPA you have the potential to go to a much higher ranked school with better national recognition...


Thanks for the reply. I am from Arizona and have lived there my entire life so I wouldn't be opposed to working there after school. I know the big law appeal isn't the greatest and the average salary isn't at 160k, but it's where I grew up and all of my family is lol. If I did want to practice in Arizona then ASU on a full scholarship doesn't sound too bad.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2432
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

No problem man. I guess it will all come down to where you want to practice, and what you want to do. You're in a really great position to kill the LSAT and make this next cycle your b%tch. Just don't let that URM boost and ASU lsat-median lower your drive and cause complacency w/ the LSAT.

Good luck :D

lawyergirl94
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

Re: AA Male 3.70 GPA advise?

Postby lawyergirl94 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:I currently have a 3.70 GPA and have been studying for the LSAT for around a month now. I have taken 4 practice exams thus far and improved from a 148 on my first to a 157 on my fourth. I am curious about what I would have to achieve on the actual test for the schools I wish to attend. Time for studying is not much of a factor as I am taking the test June 2016. I will of course be aiming for the highest possible score, but I just wanted some insight on where I could feel confident in my results. Thanks!
Schools I am hopeful for:
1) Top 14 (especially Stanford, Berkley, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, Columbia)
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Emory

I should also note that I am aiming for a 164 by the end of may!


I'm a little late, but I still want to put my two cents in! Ok, your current stats are similar to mine (3.8, 155) and I got into some pretty good schools. I'd say you have a shot at all T14, even with the 157, except HYS. Very small chances at CCN, but a chance nonetheless. UCLA is very unpredictable. You're good, with money, at Emory and USC for sure (woohoo, that's where I'm going! lol). If you can crack a 165, you'll be in a great place!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest