Diversity Statement Samples

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
kmj12

Re: Diversity Statement Samples

Postby kmj12 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:06 pm

REMEMBER, It is not an adversity statement. It's a DIVERSITY statement.

xephyr3

Postby xephyr3 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:37 pm

kmj12 wrote:REMEMBER, It is not an adversity statement. It's a DIVERSITY statement.

Could you clarify the difference between an adversity and diversity statement?

Is a DS simply describing aspects of your life that makes you different from others? What if that aspect of your life involved overcoming adversity?

EinassA

Postby EinassA » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 am

Anyone want to swap diversity statements?

kmj12

Postby kmj12 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:40 pm

xephyr3 wrote:
kmj12 wrote:REMEMBER, It is not an adversity statement. It's a DIVERSITY statement.

Could you clarify the difference between an adversity and diversity statement?

Is a DS simply describing aspects of your life that makes you different from others? What if that aspect of your life involved overcoming adversity?

I think, and I am certain admission counselors would agree, that the DS is about demonstrating your socio-economic disadvantages for many schools. For instance, UCLA Law has a Disadvantage Addendum asking applicants to describe the socio-economic disadvantages they have overcome. For UCLA, the Disadvantage Addendum is what the DS is to other schools (I asked UCLA Law, so that's how I know this). So it's not merely about describing aspects of your life that make you different from others. It's asking: within those aspect of your life, tell us specifically about the social and economic hurdles you had to overcome to get to where you are today. For instance, if you are a super rich kid with a learning disability or you are disabled in some other way, then for SOME schools you have no reason to write a diversity statement.

This brings me to my final point: SCHOOLS DEFINE DIVERSITY IN DIFFERENT WAYS. Harvard's definition of diversity is far broader than UCLAs. Harvard just says tell us how you would bring diversity (and leaves it open-ended), UCLA is specifically talking about socio-economic diversity. Read this and you will see what I mean:

http://tippingthescales.com/2014/01/wri ... ity-essay/

Hope I've helped at all!

Christinabruin

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 pm

If anyone wants to swap DS samples, please PM me!

mm2368

Postby mm2368 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:08 pm

I wrote about Cuban funeral traditions, it was honestly hilarious even to non-Cuban professors and mentors who read it. Willing to share if anyone PMs! It's, imho, a refreshing take on diversity; I could have talked about every one of my struggles but really I wanted to show what about my experience with diversity is POSITIVE!

bearlylegal

Postby bearlylegal » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:06 am

I would be more than happy to share my adversity statement (grade addendum) and my personal statement (which is kind of like a diversity statement because it is centered around how my experiences as a gay man informed my decision to pursue law and policy change). Just send me a PM- if you want more details, my adversity statement is about being a first generation high school/college/potential professional school student/growing up with an undocumented parent in a low socioeconomic class and how it initially hindered my pursuit of higher education because of the lack of resources/culture shock I experienced. My personal statement is, as mentioned above, about my being gay but specifically centers around me coming of age during same sex marriage going to ballot in CA and realizing how many people really did disagree with the idea of marriage of same sex couples.

mm2368

Postby mm2368 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”